Real Estate
Sponsored by

value of a 5th bedroom

1,699 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dreyOO
cjo03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
recognize there are many variables to this question - and we've asked our local realtor. but curious as to some of your thoughts.

general question is whether or not a 5th bedroom with no additional sq ft adds value to the house?

4 bed 2.5 bath - 2,750 sq ft
currently, 3 bd / 2 bath upstairs
downstairs bed doubles as an office

upstairs we have a big game room (16' x 32')
we have some estimates to split that room in two
leaving one half as a game room and the other half as a 5th bedroom

for us personally, we have 3 kids and lots of out of town guests (we live in OR)...
2 of our kids would still share a room, but we think we'd like to move the "guest" room upstairs to the new room and use the downstairs room as a more formal office.

family friendly neighborhood - with newish k-5 school .3 miles away

anyone have any thoughts on the topic?
Martin Q. Blank
I would do it if you want to, not because it adds value. Some people may want a 16 x 32' game room more than a 5th bedroom.
cjo03
AG
we have a bit of that mindset - as in we aren't looking for this room to 'make us money'

But trying to gauge what the true cost of it may look like. At most we are in the house for another 4 years (ideally we'd either come back to TX or buy some land for a more forever type of house)

House also has a 20'x30' finished daylight basement that doesn't count in the 2750 sq ft because it doesn't have hvac or interior access. Not a 1 to 1 for buyers that would prefer a larger game room to the 5th bedroom.. but more anecdotal info for my vague question
one MEEN Ag
AG
cjo03 said:

recognize there are many variables to this question - and we've asked our local realtor. but curious as to some of your thoughts.

general question is whether or not a 5th bedroom with no additional sq ft adds value to the house?

for us personally, we have 3 kids and lots of out of town guests (we live in OR)...
2 of our kids would still share a room, but we think we'd like to move the "guest" room upstairs to the new room and use the downstairs room as a more formal office.

Fifth bedroom with three kids and you'd still have two of them split a room? Are you depending on the solo-bedroom kid to help take care of you later on in life? Because I wouldn't expect jack from those other two.
Diggity
AG
I don't understand how you can have a bedroom downstairs with no full bath?
cjo03
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

cjo03 said:

Fifth bedroom with three kids and you'd still have two of them split a room? Are you depending on the solo-bedroom kid to help take care of you later on in life? Because I wouldn't expect jack from those other two.
ha! 8 year old boy/girl twins and a 6.5 year old girl. i anticipate they may want separate rooms later in life, but right now the girls share and are begging for bunk beds.

and technically, "we" would still only "have" 4 bedrooms as we'd make the downstairs an office. but when selling the house in a few years it'd be the same sq ft as a 5/2.5 vs 4/2.5.
agsalaska
AG
Id buy what fits your family first. That's the most important thing.

That being said I don't think a fifth bedroom adds any value. I don't think it really hurts either, at least not in a sellers market. But the inventory of buyers who need five bedrooms is pretty low. Of course so is the inventory of 5 bedroom houses.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Our house was a 5BR/2.5 bath home....which in my opinion is a little odd (our whole neighborhood is full of them). I would expect to see 5BRs with at least 3 baths, so I think for those who are searching for 5 BR homes, they are probably also specifying 3+ baths, thereby excluding you in their search results. Consider that. A 4/2.5 sounds a lot more normal than a 5/2.5, IMHO.

We ended up turning the bathroom shared between two bedrooms into 2 separate baths, so now we have a 5/3.5. We only use 3 BRs as bedrooms...the 4th is a guest bedroom and the 5th is a game room.
dubi
AG
We have a small 5th bedroom that is nursery/office sized and next to the master. I like it and find it more useful than 4 bedrooms.
dreyOO
dubi said:

We have a small 5th bedroom that is nursery/office sized and next to the master. I like it and find it more useful than 4 bedrooms.

Similar setup. We don't use it as an office and we only have 2 kids.

I'm getting tempted to knock down the wall and create a master suite setup with that space as more a sitting area.

Crazy to turn a 5bdrm/3.5bath into a 4 bedroom?
We also plan to live here another 13 yrs minimum so my personal preference is weighing heavier than maximum resell value.

Thoughts?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.