Real Estate
Sponsored by

Harassing neighbor and HOA

8,486 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Collective
JM04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ForeverAg
AG
Though I'm sure others will have better legal advice. I think it would be hilarious if you put a sprinkler head out there, wait for him to start being nosey then turn that sucker on. Gahh if you can get this on video it would be that much better.
AgResearch
AG
Quote:

what can we bring to the HOA to get him to stop emailing us and walking along the edges of our property and peering into our backyard
You're joking right? HOA can't do **** for stuff like that.

The only thing you can do is document harassment and then press charges.
SteveBott
AG
Not much you can do if he is on his property. Build an 8 foot fence and post a no trespassing sign.
JM04
AG
DallasAggie0
What does he say when you ask him what his problem is?
SteveBott
AG
Don't answer if don't want but is your wife attractive? Could she be the object of his fascination?
Drillbit4
AG
Do you have conversations with him? Or have you avoided contact? Did he used to own or use your lot? Does he walk away if he sees you? If he was right on my property line I'd walk right up to his face and start videoing him from 6" away and see how he reacts.
plowboy1065
S
Have an automatic reply to his emails with a picture of your bare ass. F him!
BrazosDog02
AG
This thread reminds me of myself as a kid with my sister at the breakfast table ...

"MOM!!! HES LOOKING AT ME AGAIN!!"

"MOM!! HES STARING AT ME!!"

Moms Solution: Hes on his side of the table, stop looking at him or go somewhere else. Lol.

So has anyone done something crazy like....you know... talk to him like a human and neighbor?? I used to stare at my neighbors when I lived in a small lot hood....I mean I used binoculars and usually stayed inside, but I was just bored and liked to see what Mr Jones was doing.
JM04
AG
Most of our neighbors have had issues with him and he is just crazy old man with nothing better to do. We have had a few discussions with him face to face and he is always nice but he gets behind his keyboard and send emails and calls HOA board about everything. He does not come out when we are around, this evening he waited until I left to walk out and talk to the contractor.

My last interaction with him, I did cuss him when we came home from vacation and he was in my yard "picking up limbs". That was October 3rd which prompted us to put the privacy fence up.

Talking with others he is singling us out he has complaints about everyone and send about 1 letter a day to the HOA about something. We are just the fortunate ones who get to live right by him.
Post removed:
by user
Garrelli 5000
AG
Is it this guy?

Take the trash out staff.
Long Live Sully
AG
Invite him over for dinner.
Martin Q. Blank
JM04 said:

Most of our neighbors have had issues with him and he is just crazy old man with nothing better to do. We have had a few discussions with him face to face and he is always nice but he gets behind his keyboard and send emails and calls HOA board about everything. He does not come out when we are around, this evening he waited until I left to walk out and talk to the contractor.

My last interaction with him, I did cuss him when we came home from vacation and he was in my yard "picking up limbs". That was October 3rd which prompted us to put the privacy fence up.

Talking with others he is singling us out he has complaints about everyone and send about 1 letter a day to the HOA about something. We are just the fortunate ones who get to live right by him.
He sounds lonely. Widower?
The Collective
AG
He might be bored, but I'd definitely put up cameras, so you can document him going on your property when you are gone. That is beyond messed up to wander into someone's yard.
Rexter
My standard reply when I get a complaint:

1) We (HOA) aren't referees
2) What did your neighbor say when you discussed the issue with them?
3) You haven't talked to them? See 1.

With that out of the way, your HOA will not do anything. Send a note advising him he isn't allowed in your property, and you will pursue a CTW if you catch him on your property. Find out from city or county offices what is the tallest privacy fence you can build without a permit. Build it 6" inside the line so if he is on the ROW behind your property, he can't climb on the fence without trespassing. You can also put planter boxes inside the fence just below the top. Add plants that are 2-3' tall to add to the height of the fence.
unmade bed
Honestly, I'd move. Life is too short.
SteveBott
AG
What? Are you crazy like the neighbor?

300k house to another 300k house is a 30,000 cost. A fense and cameras is a bit cheaper then that. I have always had slightly to full crazy neighbors and survived. One or two at a time. Always.

OP needs to make common sense actions and go from there
ChiefHaus
Invest in a good banana hammock and stroll around your yard a couple of times a day. Things you can do to make this even better:
1.) Add some random jazzercise movements while strutting around your yard.
2.) Stand at the edge of your property line looking at him while rubbing a couple of sticks of butter on your belly.
3.) Wash your cars.

I mean, you might as well have a little fun with it. Give him something to write about. Out crazy the crazy neighbor without breaking the law. You could have a youtube channel with a bagillion hits on it.
BrazosDog02
AG
JM04 said:

I dunno. That's annoying. But if you want to give him my address he can come pick up limbs all damn day. I'm cool with it. Also, he's irritating but that nosy neighbor is the one that shoots 6 teens as they leave your house after robbing it. I'm just sayin...maybe hes old and lonely and needs some excitement in his life. And you happen to be the source of it. He'll die before long.

Is he too crazy to invite over to something? I mean, is this guy crazy like he's in your yard to see you naked in the bathroom or crazy like he's in your yard so you'll come out and yell at him and give him the only human interaction he's had for the week? I'm seriously trying to judge if this is a NIMBY situation or a real situation.
Hhilton82
AG
Had a developer client once feuding with a landowner who they built around because the guy wouldn't sell.
The hold out guy string a clothesline between his multi room rental and large tree on his property. He then hung the largest bras and panties the world has seen on the line.
This was in direct view of the sales center of my developers project. Have to admit....,funny as hell.

On another more disturbing note, his tenants (Oak Lawn area of Dallas if you get my drift) would routinely have sexy time with drapes open for all to see.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Hhilton82 said:

Had a developer client once feuding with a landowner who they built around because the guy wouldn't sell.
The hold out guy string a clothesline between his multi room rental and large tree on his property. He then hung the largest bras and panties the world has seen on the line.
This was in direct view of the sales center of my developers project. Have to admit....,funny as hell.

On another more disturbing note, his tenants (Oak Lawn area of Dallas if you get my drift) would routinely have sexy time with drapes open for all to see.
Did the developer finally cough up enough to buy him out?
Hhilton82
AG
Never did. Still that at today
Turf96
Next time you see him out lurking call the cops. Have the wife go out by pool and seduce him from a distance. When cops pull up hopefully he has exposed himself by then. That should be all the evidence they will need. Case closed.

Hope you know this isn't serious. Lol
JM04
AG
Spoke with the neighbor, he says he has to get close to our yard because he is near sighted and can't see but a few yards. He kept reiterating he isn't looking into our house, just trying to make sure we're following HOA rules.
What is remarkable is he can see a limb from a across the street and drives too.

Bassmaster
AG
Tell him to piss off. It's not his job to ensure that you are following HOA rules.
Aston04
AG
Sounds like a classic cranky old man. I have a friend like that (fortunately I dont live next to him, haha). Set up video cameras to make sure he's not trespassing. Plant trees to further block his vision.

If the best trespassing story u got is he went into your yard and picked up limbs. You got basically zilch.
Nosh
JM04 said:

I am going to put game cameras out. He is coming across the street and standing in the ditch between the road and the edge of our fence looking in.

I will start with a cease and desist and have every email and trespassing time documented with date and time.

If he is on public easement, what is your problem?
dubi
AG
I would not mind if the neighbor picked up dead limbs out of my yard.

water turkey
I think you are just letting it get to you too much. We all have that weird neighbor that is annoying but it doesn't sound like he is doing anything that anyone (cops of HOA) can do anything about, unless he is repeatedly trespassing.

I think it is just one of those things that you are going to accept that you will be dealing with for a long time. It will be something else as soon as the pool is done.

Try not to let it get to you too much. Also, kill him with kindness. Send him a pie or whiskey or something that he likes and tell him you "appreciate his understanding" while the pool is being built and that you and your contractor are committed to following HOA rules.
SteveBott
AG
Agreed. Weird neighbors are a given over time. I'd line the back yard fence line with some thick year round shrubs of choice
PincheDriller
AG
Poison oak an option???
dc509
AG
I like the sprinkler.
88jrt06
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

JM04 said:

He sounds lonely. Widower?
TDC Shock Probation beneficiary?
DON'T underestimate odd people, ever. Experience.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.