Cost to add some upstairs space to a 1-story?

7,264 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by p_bubel
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Day 12

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Day 13:

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Day 14:

Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Looking great!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Thanks, I'll have some more from today. We executed a Change Order to extend the roofline a little further in order to make the front gable more symmetrical to the overall house roofline. Today the electrician moved our service panel and meter to the outside wall (new meter, new panel) and the framers continued interior walls and ceilings. Should have the siding complete by friday and the new roof on the whole house on Thursday.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Current:

Change Order:

Flaith
AG
What do they do with the existing roofing/sheeting on the backside that is under the extended/higher roof line? Bust it out from the inside for higher attic space?
Gary79Ag
AG
Flaith said:

What do they do with the existing roofing/sheeting on the backside that is under the extended/higher roof line? Bust it out from the inside for higher attic space?
That's what was done when we had ours modified years ago...opened it up for a higher attic space!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Flaith said:

To cut costs; leaving it there - they peeled back the top most layers at the apex to connect to the rafters underneath, but otherwise the existing roof will just stay in the attic. However, I will be removing the shingles and decking myself in the coming weeks before they complete the ceilings and dry in the Sheetrock... This way I can peel off the shingles and drop them through the framing and haul them off. For the decking, I am planning to just cut some big holes for air to move around and for access from one side of the house to the other. There is now a 12-ft space from top joists to the peak of the new roof - enough to add a game room upstairs in 10-15 years
YZ250
What about the brick on the exterior wall that is now an interior wall?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

What about the brick on the exterior wall that is now an interior wall?

They are removing the brick along the back wall (carefully) and will re-use them on the western wall of the new bedroom exterior. We also had about 300-400 matching bricks that were buried to make the flower bed borders in the front of the house when we bought it - I've dug up about 250 of them so far and pressure washed them so they can be used as needed on the exterior or for other future project (cosmetic tie-in on a backyard kitchen / fireplace offset from the main structure)

Interior walls will be redressed and sheetrocked. There are 3 windows that will be removed, the areas re-framed and then they will sheetrock it in like it was never a window there (from the original house). The new addition will be sheetrocked as well, since it's now an interior wall.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Day 16-17

West wall wear old bricks will be reused

Some bricks they will reuse

Change order started

They also got the Vaulted ceiling framed in the master.

Tomorrow they install the window over the bathtub, doors to the back patio and start the roofing. The plumber will be onsite to extend all the vents up through the existing roof.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Oops; lost my phone and all my pictures after the last post here's an update
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Day 30?

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Day 40-45?
Drywall and electrical in

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Day 45-50?
Taped and floated

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Next up is shower tile; trim, interior doors; HVAC ductwork, and blown in attic insulation.

Following that is texturing, bathroom cabinets, countertops, fixtures...

Then I'm painting and laying flooring on my own
hph6203
AG
Looks good.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
We finished up a while back but I'd put up some additional photos

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Nearer completion

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Complete and we are painting floors ourselves until we can afford the hardwoods to do the whole house

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Moving in

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Living in it now - sorry for messy photos but we were update wrapping gifts

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Final touches needed:

Finish cutting in paint in the bathroom (90% done)
Add outdoor fan and faux-shiplap ceiling to outdoor patio

dubi
AG
It looks amazing!
p_bubel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.