Cost to add some upstairs space to a 1-story?

7,220 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by p_bubel
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NW Houston / Cypress area.

What would be the cost (ballpark) to add 1-2 small rooms and a bathroom to a 1-story home to make it a 1-1/2?

Current SQFT is 2000, and it is basically a rectangle footprint. The current roof pitch is VERY shallow, so I'd think there'd be plenty of room to inrease pitch, maybe add a few gables/windows to the roofline and put in some framework and plumbing for an upstairs study and guest room.

This:

to this (ignore my quick paint skills; obviously much nicer than what I have below)

I know the roof (quoted recently) alone would be $9,000; but what about engineering, architecture, permit, adding framework above, and plumbing / electrical.

Am I looking at $20,000 or $80,000?
JP76
How much square footage are you trying to add upstairs ?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
JP76 said:

How much square footage are you trying to add upstairs ?

Rough estimate would be 350-400 SQFT

12x10 = 120
12x10 = 120
Hallway = 60
Bathroom = 100-ish?
JP76
Guesstimate is 80-100 k

You will either have to reduct the existing hvac system
And add a second unit or upgrade to a 5 ton with zoning in order to keep both levels consistent in temperature. You more than likely have to upgrade existing ceiling joist size as well as increase first story headers to 2x12 where they are supporting the second story. Do you have a 200 amp electrical service now ?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'd have to check; probably it is not
Diggity
AG
Probably wouldn't be worth it from a resale perspective to add 400 sqft of second story space.

If you plan on doing for yourself and will stay a long time, then go for it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
This will hopefully be our last or 2nd to last home, the other option (could be an additional option or a first option for a 2-stage upgrade) is to build out the back from the current master and make a larger master suite in the back.
Diggity
AG
If the first floor addition leaves you with a decent backyard and the flow makes sense, I would go that route.
SteveBott
AG
Nuts
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Diggity said:

If the first floor addition leaves you with a decent backyard and the flow makes sense, I would go that route.
It's on an acre... I have plenty of room to go up or back. and add a steel building / workshop in the back, plus a future outdoor chimney / fireplace, and overhaul the back patio into an outdoor entertainment / kitchen / mancave.

I can't wait to have a riding lawnmower again
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SteveBott said:

Nuts
?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Before you do anything else, make sure the foundation can handle it.

And, knowing Steve fairly well, I'm assuming the "nuts" means "take the highest amount you are thinking and add 25-50% plus a lot of pain."
SteveBott
AG
I am not a contractor but it just seems to me you would expand out not up if given the choice. The home can be livable by expanding out but probably not up. I am guessing it would cost more to go up as well. Get your bids though if you want.
South Platte
SpreadsheetAg said:

NW Houston / Cypress area.

What would be the cost (ballpark) to add 1-2 small rooms and a bathroom to a 1-story home to make it a 1-1/2?

Current SQFT is 2000, and it is basically a rectangle footprint. The current roof pitch is VERY shallow, so I'd think there'd be plenty of room to inrease pitch, maybe add a few gables/windows to the roofline and put in some framework and plumbing for an upstairs study and guest room.

This:

to this (ignore my quick paint skills; obviously much nicer than what I have below)

I know the roof (quoted recently) alone would be $9,000; but what about engineering, architecture, permit, adding framework above, and plumbing / electrical.

Am I looking at $20,000 or $80,000?
Is this your primary residence or investment property?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Will be our primary in about 3 weeks
histag10
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Will be our primary in about 3 weeks

You will have a lot easier time living in the home while expanding out than you would expanding up
SpreadsheetAg
AG
We have plenty of family nearby in the same neighborhood we can shack up with

How long would it take to go up:

Deconstruction - 2 days?
Re-Frame + Windows = 5 days
Roof & Siding = 2 days

All the other stuff is interior, and frankly I am probably good enough DIY'er to do all the interior work myself or can higher sub-contractors cheaper than a general contractor would charge (electrical, plumbing, drywall, float, texture, etc.)
aggielostinETX
AG
$80,000. You'll need about $125-175 sq/ft all in after plans, engineering, build and fix the bottom. Probably closer to $125,000, depending on finish out.

And 60 days
Ol Jock 99
AG
You are planning to DIY the finish out of a major renovation of your primary residence while you live in it?? God speed good sir, but you might want to start a "marriage counselor/family law recommendation" thread now too.
nonameag99
hire
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Zemira
AG
You should really check the home improvement board and check out some of the remodel threads. Some of them took years!

The best laid plans often go off course.
Aggiemike96
AG
Zemira said:

Some of them took years!

Yes. Yes they did.
mwp02ag
AG
Three, almost four years after starting a major remodel of our 1974 built Sitterle home here in SA and we installed kitchen tops yesterday.....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Jesus; this doesn't seem like that much work... and I'm not doing it all myself - I'd have 4-5 experienced family members to help me...

I can't believe it would take that much time - did you guys do a full remodel and gut?
aggielostinETX
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Jesus; this doesn't seem like that much work... and I'm not doing it all myself - I'd have 4-5 experienced family members to help me...

I can't believe it would take that much time - did you guys do a full remodel and gut?

I'll change my bid if labor is not needed. $35k and 45 days
expresswrittenconsent
Are you planning to get bids? I'd be curious of the cost and timeline differences btwn up versus out.
The Fife
Ol Jock 99 said:

You are planning to DIY the finish out of a major renovation of your primary residence while you live in it?? God speed good sir, but you might want to start a "marriage counselor/family law recommendation" thread now too.

It's possible, my wife and I are 5 years in to redoing our house and are basically at the end. Wallpaper in one bathroom plus the hamper and putting in IKEA closets in a couple of places.

That said, we've also been working with an architect for the better part of a year on a partial second floor addition. Our place has been added on to twice on the last 60 years and doubled in size so some parts of it make no sense, plus there were issues due to a bad design that need to be corrected. Our cost will include framing modifications to the garage and den that are unrelated to adding space so it's not quite an apples to apples comparison.

It will be a bit over $200/sq ft (~1,500 sq ft added on) plus about 10,000 for the architect, engineering, and drawings. What was said about the foundation is true but we got lucky since it's more than adequate. One central wall will need 2x6s sistered in and the den will be go from being shaped like home plate to squared off. We're looking at two large bedrooms, bathroom, and an open area, plus the dining room turning into the foyer / area where the stairs are, living room turning into dining room, replacing basically all windows, and the roof in the family room being raised.
SteveBott
AG
I still say Nuts
histag10
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

This is what everyone says...

Until that first wall is opened up to just routinely add an outlet or light switch. 3 years* of new plans, re-wiring, re-framing, and tearing down of not just one layer of sheetrock, but 2 layers of sheetrock, 1 layer of plaster and lathe, and 3 different wallpapers all covered by paint (yes, this was 1 wall)- and you realize maybe your kitchen was better off where it was before...

*disclaimer- we did more than just a kitchen.

Don't get me wrong - It can be done, but also be prepared for bumps in the road that will extend your timeline beyond what you think.
Shooter McGavin
AG
SteveBott said:

I still say Nuts
Agree.

I hate to be a negative Ned, but why in the heck didn't you buy a home that fit your needs?

I will never understand this.
expresswrittenconsent
expresswrittenconsent said:

Are you planning to get bids? I'd be curious of the cost and timeline differences btwn up versus out.

Seems pretty clear now that this was just a masturbatory exercise for OP with no actual plans to expand.
SpreadsheetAg
AG

Seems pretty clear now that this was just a masturbatory exercise for OP with no actual plans to expand.
We are planning to get bids after we occupy next month.

I am just trying to figure out how much capital I need to set aside from our equity we receive from the sale of our current home. Because, you know, forecasting and budgeting expenses is a "masturbatory exercise"
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Shooter McGavin said:

SteveBott said:

I still say Nuts
Agree.

I hate to be a negative Ned, but why in the heck didn't you buy a home that fit your needs?

I will never understand this.
1. Location / Lot Size
2. Family deal - good discount compared to other homes in neighborhood
3. Tied to 1 & 2 above, this puts us VERY close to parents, siblings, and our children's cousins - a desirable thing for us
4. It meets our current needs, but we plan to foster kids (going through last stages of approval process now, but waiting on home occupation next month before we can have our home study done and inspections for final Foster Care approval.) So the thought is that if we do Foster-to-Adopt to expand our family, our house may need to expand a little in the future to accomodate; which is fine with us. We are big time DIY'ers for almost anyything interior renovation (bath rooms, kitchens, fixtures, electrical, plumbing, etc. However, I have never tackled a project as big as an add-on so I am seeking advice on how to prepare.
expresswrittenconsent
SpreadsheetAg said:

I am just trying to figure out how much capital I need to set aside from our equity we receive from the sale of our current home. Because, you know, forecasting and budgeting expenses is a "masturbatory exercise"

So you already have a list of engineers and GCs who you will be calling for bids, and a general idea of costs?
Sorry the masturbatory comment may have hurt your feelings, but it is interesting to see how the stick seems to work better for you than the carrot. My original question wasn't the only polite inquiry about this that was ignored for days, but i drop 1 little insult and you reply within minutes.
SpreadsheetAg
AG

SpreadsheetAg said:

So you already have a list of engineers and GCs who you will be calling for bids, and a general idea of costs?
Sorry the masturbatory comment may have hurt your feelings, but it is interesting to see how the stick seems to work better for you than the carrot. My original question wasn't the only polite inquiry about this that was ignored for days, but i drop 1 little insult and you reply within minutes.
Common human reaction - and I've been busy. The real bat-signal for me is the blue highlight on the TexAgs binoculars indicating someone replied directly to me.

Use a PM, you have stars.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.