Real Estate
Sponsored by

Advice on flooring

1,852 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
NTXAggie14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quick question for the realtors or anyone that has better knowledge on this board in regards to better flooring for resale value in case we decide to sell our house in the near future, I'm sorry if this has been discussed prior in another thread. My wife and I have the option to pick our flooring that spans the entirety of our house, approx. 2200 Sq Ft, we are looking at either a LVP or Wood look tile floor as we have 2 german shepherds and 2 toddlers which eliminates a engineered hardwood floor. We are just curious to see what people's opinions of the two floors. We have done as much research as we can but wanted to see if we could get some advice. And if makes a difference we are in East Dallas. Thanks!
Diggity
AG
That tile might not be great for the two little ones. Very unforgiving if they fall on their heads.

I don't tend to love great swaths of tile in homes in any case, even if it has a wood look, so I would lean towards a quality LVP or break it up.
maverick2076
Not a realtor, but Wood look tile was a huge strike on any house we looked at when we bought this spring. Pretty much a deal breaker for me. On the other hand, I love LVO. We put it in our last house and will probably put it in this one too.
NTXAggie14
AG
Did you glue down or did you float it?
Know1
AG
LVP is the way to go in this situation.
03_Aggie
We have a distressed engineered hard wood. Dogs dent or scratch it and it just adds more character.
94chem
Great swaths of tile are fine. They have this new invention called the area rug.
maverick2076
Floated
94chem
Before you install LV flooring, you should do your own research on phthalate esters. I am a chemist, and I don't think I'd want my little kids crawling around on it. I've been following the BPA/phthalate debate for 20 years, and while it's hard to get the truth most of the time, it's sometimes easier to see when people have something to hide. Phthalates are volatile depending on their branch content and molecular weight - they are the "new car" smell that vinyl gives off. They used to fog up the inside windows of cars on hot days, but they don't leach out as much as they used to. Still, there's not a "healthy amount."
Know1
AG
Interesting perspective 94chem. Will you share some resources/data with me on that? Email address is in my profile.

Edit...email received. Thank you
MTTANK
AG
I would worry about the tile in this area. Put some in my house when built a few years ago, and there are some cracks already. Foundation was over built and engineered, in this area movement goes with the territory.
GIG 'EM
Diggity
AG
all the articles I have read say that Home Depot and Lowes started phasing out phthalate flooring back in 2015. Looks like you can verify whether or not your flooring has it these days.
94chem
Yes, you can look it up. What I don't know is what it's been replaced with. You have to soften PVC, or else it's rigid like PVC pipe.
94chem
For example, here's an article on BPA-free plastics. I'm actually friends with a team lead at Eastman who developed Tristan, and we all use the water bottles... but are they as safe as glass or metal? Who knows...

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/tritan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.