Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home built over a creek

3,180 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Diggity
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We put an offer on a home today and later determined via CAD that a creek runs under the home. We found 1 CAD map showing it in blue, but otherwise there are no indications of the creek.

Once we realized this, we used Google3D and sure enough, you can see the creek disappear under the road the borders the west side of the neighborhood, then it reappears directly behind the back fence of the home we placed an offer to purchase.

Question: What type of inspection/reassurance should we seek that this will not be a problem at a later date? It's in the DFW area, the home was built in 2005, there are no obvious signs foundation shifting (all doors plum, no cracks, sellers disclosure says no foundation work performed).

After passively searching for a home for 18 months we found what we thought was the near perfect home (except my Tundra won't fit in the garage) - only to discover this hours after placing an offer. My wife is now going on about sink holes being one of her biggest fears, akin to my 'fear' of spiders.

We haven't heard from the sellers if its accepted and there's a 10 day option period so worse case, we're out $150.
Take the trash out staff.
treetop flyer
I've been in real estate for 20 years and married for half or so. Just walk away. There's alway another one.
Garrelli 5000
AG
That's where we are 99% headed at this point. Outside some solid engineering/science presented to us, I don't think we'd sleep well.
aggiepaintrain
AG
hard pass
Absolute
AG
Just walk. You will never be completely comfortable, and Noone you hire will be able or willing to guarantee no issues from it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Yeah, contacted our realtor and told him to rescind the offer. Sucks but oh well, our current home is nice and others will come along.
evestor1
Although he has not built the house yet, A guy somewhat did this in my neighborhood. He put in a drainage system and the water actually goes under the side yard and to the lake underneath his land.

So far no issues even during Harvey...I still don't trust it

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Adam Ag 98 said:

We put an offer on a home today and later determined via CAD that a creek runs under the home. We found 1 CAD map showing it in blue, but otherwise there are no indications of the creek.

Once we realized this, we used Google3D and sure enough, you can see the creek disappear under the road the borders the west side of the neighborhood, then it reappears directly behind the back fence of the home we placed an offer to purchase.

Question: What type of inspection/reassurance should we seek that this will not be a problem at a later date? It's in the DFW area, the home was built in 2005, there are no obvious signs foundation shifting (all doors plum, no cracks, sellers disclosure says no foundation work performed).

After passively searching for a home for 18 months we found what we thought was the near perfect home (except my Tundra won't fit in the garage) - only to discover this hours after placing an offer. My wife is now going on about sink holes being one of her biggest fears, akin to my 'fear' of spiders.

We haven't heard from the sellers if its accepted and there's a 10 day option period so worse case, we're out $150.
Adam Ag 98 - where the creek disappears, was there underground storm drainage (gutter cuts) in the roadways taking water away? Might be something to check . The City Engineer should be able to let you know what happened on the Lot when it was developed.

I have owned & lived in 2 homes built directly on top of creeks. Each home in a different State. I was very satisfied with the information provided to me about the drainage work performed to eliminate surface flow and how the water was routed thereafter. Lived in one home 13 years and had zero problems. We are in year 3 in the second home and 60 days ago we experienced a 9 inch rain in 7 hours - surrounding homes were flooded and we had zero problems. Hope this helps you.
Harkrider 93
AG
For the Tundra problem:

I bought some wheel risers/ramps so I could pop the front wheels over the edge of the walkway without gunning the engine. The backend fits so the door can close. The ramps were cheap.

94chem
Harkrider 93 said:

For the Tundra problem:

I bought some wheel risers/ramps so I could pop the front wheels over the edge of the walkway without gunning the engine. The backend fits so the door can close. The ramps were cheap.

Too long or too tall? I just keep the tires at 5 psi in my Ford Econoline van. Goes right in.
Harkrider 93
AG
truck was too long for door to close - I bet a van would be too high though

I am lucky that the walkway is wider than most so I have room to scoot up without hitting the wall
DriftwoodAg
AG
treetop flyer said:

I've been in real estate for 20 years and married for half or so. Just walk away. There's alway another one.
I'm not sure if you are talking about the house, or the wife...
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
hot_rod_9384 said:

treetop flyer said:

I'm not sure if you are talking about the house, or the wife...
<rimshot>
JSKolache
AG
el arroyo
88jrt06
AG
For OP:

"I'll take "Questions not to ask SE Texans in 2018 for $200, Alex"...
Garrelli 5000
AG
We passed. Sucks it changed what we expect now in a home (scans creek), and other homes with that finish the same distance from work are stupid expensive out of our range.
Diggity
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.