Real Estate
Sponsored by

Bombarded with refi phone calls.

1,610 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just bought a house at the end of July, and here in the last few days my phone is blowing up with marketers saying I completed an inquiry about refi. I did no such thing. Anyone else have this happen?

Do I need to contact the credit bureaus to have my account flagged for potential fraudulent activity?
toolshed
AG
I think something happens when you apply for a loan, or with the title company, that your information gets shared somewhere along the way, opening the floodgates of telemarketers. I just bought a lot and as soon as we signed the contract and everything went to the title company, even before the bank pulled the credit and such, I was getting calls.

Same thing happened a few years ago with a new home we built for someone. When they got ready to do the closing, through the VA I think, all of a sudden I was getting telemarketers calling incessantly!! I've gotten to where I don't answer the phone unless I have the number saved in my phone. If it's business related, and they are serious enough to want to get pricing for something, they will leave a message. I don't buy into the being available at all times mentality that cell phones have created. So I simply block most all numbers that don't leave a message, or leave a telemarketing message.

I wish I knew who shared/ sold the info along the way!!
dallasiteinsa02
I had my information shared by the bank directly or they had some public way of monitoring the flow of information. Since the bank was based out of Nevada, all the calls thought I had just bought a home in Nevada so their information was crap to begin with it. It stopped after about 30 days.
SteveBott
AG
Maroon are they calling your cell or land line? (if you have a landline)
Maroonedinaustin
AG
SteveBott said:

Maroon are they calling your cell or land line? (if you have a landline)

My cell.
SteveBott
AG
Hmmm
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Not sure why you are getting phone calls unless you gave your information to someone like Lending tree maybe, or someone else who sells your info

But, all the junk mail you get after buying/refinancing is because the lien is recorded by the county. That is public information. Spammers/mass marketers simply buy the list from the county and send all the junk mail.

As a lender it drives me crazy because the lien holder is also public record so the spammers do their best to make it look like it is coming from us to increase the odds of opening/action. It is not coming from us of course and would wager that is the case for most lenders. Deceptive for sure.
SteveBott
AG
Jay the problem is how they connected the public info, the lien, to his cell phone.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Right, that is why I said not sure why he or anyone else is getting calls on his cell. Just pointing out as I get questions, and sure you do as well, about the mailings. (we in fact send out an email about the public info after closing now) Again if you put your info into lendingtree that can happen as those leads get sold for cheaper and cheaper the more aged they are but still get sold.
n_touch
Quote:

As a lender it drives me crazy because the lien holder is also public record so the spammers do their best to make it look like it is coming from us to increase the odds of opening/action. It is not coming from us of course and would wager that is the case for most lenders. Deceptive for sure.
Got one like this the other day that was pink and had our mortgage company name on the envelope. Their tactic worked since I opened it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Maroonedinaustin said:

We just bought a house at the end of July, and here in the last few days my phone is blowing up with marketers saying I completed an inquiry about refi. I did no such thing. Anyone else have this happen?

Do I need to contact the credit bureaus to have my account flagged for potential fraudulent activity?
I lived with family for a few months after moving from S. Texas, selling my house there, then buying here in Spring. I've gotten two phone calls to talk about my mortgage at MY PARENTS HOUSE! That property was never mortgaged. They bought the lot and built with cash. The last lady just wouldn't budge that her records were wrong. "Ma'am, i don't have a mortgage on that home. Ma'am I've never owned that home. Ma'am your records are 100% flat wrong."

"Well sir can I discuss any other mortgage needs you have?"

"Click"

OP, point being, like others have said. It's just spam calls.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.