Real Estate
Sponsored by

1031 exchange investment opportunities

2,318 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mays04
Ed Carter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to do a 1031 exchange for a rental property I'm about to sell but would like put the money into something more passive. I have had buddies invest in big projects before, such as new hospitals or hotels etc. where there is a projected 3 to 5 year payout strategy, but they told me that you were not allowed to invest in these vehicles via 1031 exchange...

Does anyone know of any type of investment opportunities like this that allow incoming 1031 money?
mwp02ag
AG
I explored finding 1031 monies to invest in a commercial space with me but it leads to Tenant in Common ownership. Clunky and most advise against it.
aggiebrad94
AG
Ed - if the amount is over $3 million, I may be able to help.

My email is in my profile.
Ed Carter
AG
My name is Ed Carter, not Chris Chris.

In all seriousness though as of right now I would just be looking at liquidating one particular property so we are probably talking in the low six figures range. Any ideas for that level of transaction?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Remember, you are betting on capital gains tax rates being lower in the future, in addition to all the administrative BS. Personally, I wouldn't do it for a simple SF rental. YMMV.
Pepper Brooks
AG
A family member of mine works for a 1031 intermediary. I can put you in touch with them if you'd like me to. If anyone can get it done it's them and they've helped others on this board.
Bitter Old Man
AG
OP, to actually answer your question. Someone above hit on it. You can't 1031 into partnership shares, so the only way to do it is something called Tenant in Common (TIC). TIC deals were all the rage in the early 2000's but they have fallen out of favor because they are disasters to manage. Everyone owns a direct piece of the property, which means everybody has to agree on everything to manage it. Imagine if one guy doesnt want to sell, when everyone else does, it becomes a pain. On top of that, the biggest problem are capital calls. Most TIC buyers were like you, they wanted to leverage into something bigger with less headache, but they didnt have excess funds laying around. So, when something went wrong, people had to pay up to cover the problems, and lots didnt have the money. Plus, you are suddenly tied to the whims of a group, and with 1031, you have to be ready to move it again to keep up with it. Bottom line, stay away from these.

1031 as a strategy is "Swap til you drop". Once you are on the wheel, you cant get off. Then, when you die, your heirs get a stepped up basis and the taxable gain goes away. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes away in the next tax bill.

The new tax bill did introduce an unprecedented concept having to do with qualified investment zones. Basically, if you are in certain areas, after 10 years, the gain goes away. I'm only starting to hear about this, and people are just now figuring it out. So, I dont know much beyond this.

I think 1031 is overused. Its a pain in the ass to deal with, and for the amount of money you are talking about, it might make sense to just pay your taxes and move on.

Im not an attorney, or a tax professional, or anyone else you should listen to.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

I think 1031 is overused. Its a pain in the ass to deal with, and for the amount of money you are talking about, it might make sense to just pay your taxes and move on.
Ed Carter
AG
Very good feedback guys Thank you all very much

I sold another rental property last year and did not do a 1031 and got my face ripped off with capital gains taxes so was looking for other strategies I guess in the big picture there's no free lunch though
dcAg
I develop single tenant net lease projects. I cant recall any properties we've developed that has taken that little equity.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Amen brother.
mays04
AG
Bitter is hitting on the Opportunity Zone deal. Every state got to designate zones and there are some significant tax advantages.
mays04
AG
BTW Jay at Agsreward did great job on a recent loan. Recommend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.