Real Estate
Sponsored by

Next Step Career Advice - DFW CRE

613 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CD12Ag
CD12Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am seeking some advice on continuing my career in commercial real estate in DFW. I considered posting this on the Jobs board, but I thought this thread might have a better chance of catching the eyes of some of the experts who frequent this board.

A little background - I have five years of experience as a leasing agent, focusing mostly on office. My career began at a boutique shop. After two years, I moved over to a larger firm to continue my growth and network.

Unfortunately, just under a year ago I was forced to make a tough decision to leave the industry due to unforeseen family circumstances. This was the most difficult career decision I have been forced to make to date, but I had to do what was best to take care of my family.

Fast forward to today... The circumstances that caused me to leave the CRE industry have been resolved, and I am working on a plan to get back into the industry. The decision that I was forced to make may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as I now have the opportunity to reevaluate my career path and help position myself to reach my ultimate goals - start a company focused office & industrial, ground-up & value add opportunities.

My questions for the RE Board are:
1) Do you have any advice on companies/positions that you would focus on next in order to reach this goal?
2) Looking back, did you take on a role that you believe helped catapult your career?
3) Any other general advice is appreciated.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Commercial Leasing is about selling your experience. The best advice to get back into the CRE industry is to network. Hopefully, you kept in touch with the companies that you left and are on good terms with them. I would start there. Go to lunch with those folks, and let them know what you are doing. If you have contacts with people at the big shops, CBRE, JLL, etc. then reach out to them and get a meeting with them and the local managers.

As far as starting your own shop, its best to do that when you have a book of business that you can take with you. A good friend of mine left a big shop to do his own thing and he's in in 50's, so tons of experience. Its still a daily grind for him. He can win some good size accounts, but he's never going to get the big guys, they are going to stay with the big shops.
CD12Ag
AG
Thank you. I did work for one of the big 3 firms and have reengaged with my old company. They would welcome me back. However, we recently moved to the FW side of the metroplex, and the is some concern about the commute to the office & tours.

In addition, my biggest concern about moving back into brokerage is the time it takes to build back up your book/portfolio. We now have a mortgage that I did not have to think about when I originally started in the industry.

That said, I have always been told that leasing is the foundation of the business. I loved what I did and learned a tremendous amount, but I'm curious if there is a "next step" persay to grow my knowledge base and move into an ownership role.

I believe I understand the day-to-day operations well, but where my knowledge base is lacking is in the investment side of the business (structuring debt, raising equity, Argus, etc.). Has anyone been in a similar situation and transitioned from brokerage into an asset management or investment analyst role? If so, did this prove to be beneficial in your long term success?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.