Real Estate
Sponsored by

Build vs Buy

1,627 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by flown-the-coop
AgTDub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're looking to relocate from Bee Cave to the Gruene area to be closer to family and have been both looking at lots as well as homes for sale in the area. I think we'd definitely get more for our money if we were to build ourselves although I'm not sure if I want the headaches of managing that process. I'm in commercial construction mgmt and usually have my fill of dealing with subcontractors at the end of every day/week. Due to that, as well as dealing with a 5yo and 3yo daily, I'm currently leaning towards buying a home for sale but would appreciate any insight anyone may have about the process. Not really keen on paying a home builders markup.

TIA
mtony77
AG
Having been in your exact situation, with a 3 and 5 year old when we moved to this area. I can tell you that Hoffman lane is the school you want to be at...so thats going to put you in Havenwood or out 306. We ended up in River Place at Gruene which is fantastic, close to everything and private river access park. However there is usually about one house for sale a year in here. The custom builders are running pretty high right now, it's much more to build custom than buy. You could look at a Perry home or one of the other production builders and probably fall in the same range as buying vs building.
AgTDub
AG
Thanks for the info bud. Yeah we've been looking in that general area. We started off looking at lots in Havenwood but the ones available which are actually on buildable lots are pretty steep.

Another driving factor is that we want to be in and settled by the time my son starts kindergarten next year so the timeline for building is working against us especially if I am to manage that myself. Currently looking at houses in the Havenwood, Pinnacle, River Chase area.

The property tax rate however is very appealing compared to the LTISD taxes were paying now though.
flown-the-coop
AG
You would have to clarify what you intend by build your own. If you have a mortgage, I do not believe you can (since new lending regs came down post 2008 crisis) be the "builder" of your own home. If you are doing all cash, then no one cares. Given that, then you are hiring a GC / custom builder or buying.

Been a few years since I dealt with this, but I was the "builder" for a former employee and had to sign off on his mortgage and bank draws. Unless you are in the business and know what you are doing, can get some deals, know where to cut costs, I would think definitely cheaper and less hassle to buy vs build.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.