Real Estate
Sponsored by

Is a new A/C system worth the investment on home sell?

2,686 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now, now, occasionally there's a Chad or a Stu
Absolute
AG
We just did level 1 granite to prep to sell. Wife was pissed we waited so long. Seems like we paid less than what you were throwing. Keep in mind you will have to do the backsplash. We spent about 2600 on the granite through HD fo 72 or so sf. Then I did the backsplash myself. We found a subway tile that worked really well and was in clearance, so it was cheap if I count my couple of weekends work as free.

I would NOT replace and air conditioning system if it is working ok. Have it serviced if you are not sure. As silly as it sounds, people focus on the cosmetics. The AC will only come up in the inspection. As an inspector, I tell folks all the time "the system is old but it is working. Be prepared to replace it while you are here." Old, with the possible exception of roofs because they become so visually worn, is not usually a reason for replacement.

At worst, you negotiate something about them later.

Only possible argument for it, is that it will be a nice positive the people will like. But most won't want to pay what you paid for it. I would wait.
94chem
The Original AG 76 said:

94chem said:

88jrt06 said:

94chem said:

Quote:

Never mind the payback issue, think of all the potential buyers who redlined it largely sight unseen!
Especially the 20-something professional dog walkers and free-lance baristas who have a budget of $650K. Can't afford to offend that well-heeled crowd.

Tell us more about them. Not in my orbit. Curious.

Do you even Househunters?

And now on damn near all HGTV shows one of em is named Brad and the other Scott....

Only about 33% of the time. Pretty representative of the general population, right?
SwissAgg
AG
Last year, I spent 6500 for a 4ton Carrier for a house of 1560 square feet.

It wasn't the highest efficiency model but near the highest. I think I would

get my money back out of the deal but not more.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Absolute said:

We just did level 1 granite to prep to sell. Wife was pissed we waited so long. Seems like we paid less than what you were throwing. Keep in mind you will have to do the backsplash. We spent about 2600 on the granite through HD fo 72 or so sf. Then I did the backsplash myself. We found a subway tile that worked really well and was in clearance, so it was cheap if I count my couple of weekends work as free.

I would NOT replace and air conditioning system if it is working ok. Have it serviced if you are not sure. As silly as it sounds, people focus on the cosmetics. The AC will only come up in the inspection. As an inspector, I tell folks all the time "the system is old but it is working. Be prepared to replace it while you are here." Old, with the possible exception of roofs because they become so visually worn, is not usually a reason for replacement.

At worst, you negotiate something about them later.

Only possible argument for it, is that it will be a nice positive the people will like. But most won't want to pay what you paid for it. I would wait.
Price includes granite, new sinks (5 undermount), and backsplash (subway tile) ... it's the kitchen, utility room, wetbar, and master bathroom
Absolute
AG
Then that sounds pretty good probably.
88jrt06
AG
Half of the granite advantage over formica can't even be quantified.
Potential buyers trip over themselves fleeing the property upon even a glimpse of that 'ol Wilsonart!

I mean, I grew up w/it...seemed to work fine, but....
So did our rabbit ears....
Bird Poo
AG
Paid a guy $400 to spray my Formica with an epoxy like material that looks similar to granite. Best money ever spent!
I've never heard of this and it sounds cool. Do you have pics?
94chem
OneNightW said:

Paid a guy $400 to spray my Formica with an epoxy like material that looks similar to granite. Best money ever spent!
Interesting. I did the "Miracle Method" to fix a cracked shower pan. Looked great - probably a similar treatment.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.