Real Estate
Sponsored by

Is a $3/sqft Home Architecture Plan Out of Sight?

6,569 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dcAg
CaptnCarl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 12% was for full services schematic/detailed design through construction management. 3-D renderings etc. Architectural services proposals are hard to quantify though.

That's kind of why I wanted to have the discussion with those who have gone through the process. AG Custom - really appreciate the input.

Willing to spend on good thoughtful design, but at what point am I just throwing money away?
SnowboardAg
AG
This is very applicable to me. I'm meeting with 3 architects next week based on a proposal sent about 3 weeks ago. Prices range from 3-4/sq foot, so I haven't seen anything lower than that. I stuck with architects that are known around the neighborhood from other residents that have built.
MAS444
AG
We've just finished the design phase of our new build and are at about $9/ft air conditioned space or $7/ft covered space for the architect. That comes out to about 4% of the expected build cost.

I think some of the billing seemed high...but overall, we're very happy with our architect. We could have done it much cheaper by doing the same kind of thing most people are doing in the neighborhood ("modern farmhouse", siding, long driveway with garage in back, etc.) and using one of the some builders. But we wanted something different and didn't want our house to look like every other new house being built. Again, to each their own...
dcAg
Sounds like a designer and not an Architect.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.