Real Estate
Sponsored by

Is a $3/sqft Home Architecture Plan Out of Sight?

6,555 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dcAg
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An architect we really like quoted us $3/sqft (living area only) plan our $4,000 sqft house. Is his price in the realm of reality or is it out of site? Most quotes we get are for $2 to $2.50 per square foot.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Unless you are a volume customer, that seems like a pretty fair deal for a custom home.
Ornlu
AG
Going bill out rate for architects is in the $125 - $200 per hour range for AIA's, or $75 - $120/hr for draftsmen.

4000SF * $3/SF = $12,000. Guess $150/hr = 80 hours of work. Do you think he's going to spend 80 hours on it?
88jrt06
AG
4000sf * 2.50 = 10,000.

So, 2,000 bucks xtra on a 4000 sf home to get your guy.
Further questions?
rondis23
AG
Is this basically the same thing as meeting with a drafter and coming up with blueprints for a house?
PFG
AG
Wife and I paid a percentage of the house build price. Our architect was 7%.

I'll just tell you that $12,000 is way less than what we paid.

What do you get for the $3/sq ft? How many meetings? How deep of a dive? Survey work on the lot to may out elevations, trees, etc? Do you get full construction documents? Just floor plans or also elevations? Window and door packages? Can you pay extra for construction admin?

Lots of stuff to consider.
MAS444
AG
That's really cheap.
The Fife
Since this quote is for the living area only, how big is that part of the house? I think a few other posters missed that little caveat.
3rd and 2
AG
The Fife said:

Since this quote is for the living area only, how big is that part of the house? I think a few other posters missed that little caveat.

It'll exclude garages and attics. We're starting out at 4,000 sq ft basis and he'll charge extra if we go over that.
MAS444
AG
We're paying hourly...but the "design phase" should come out to about 5 - 10% build cost. We'll keep them involved during construction though too, which I'd highly recommend doing.
PFG
AG
Quote:

We'll keep them involved during construction though too, which I'd highly recommend doing.

My only advice here...get the architect and builder together before you break ground, and get them both on the same page.

From my experience, builders roll their eyes at architects, and architects roll their eyes at builders. Its a funny back and forth that I can only assume has existed for eternity.
88jrt06
AG
Well, my career's on the commercial side of that dance.
You're right...for eternity. But generally not a "funny" back-forth, at all.
MAS444
AG
Yeah that's exactly the point. Making sure they're on the same page and that the builder executes properly.
Diggity
AG
That seems insanely high.

$3.50/sqft should get you a great architect in Houston. That would be about 2% of total construction costs.
MAS444
AG
I guess I didn't talk to those great architects. Out of the ones I did talk to, 5 - 10% of build was about average. Some were a little lower...some were a LOT higher. We fully intend to keep it closer to 5%, which will end up being about $10/ft for us.

Also...FWIW...our guy is literally just hourly. The 5 - 10% of build is based on the actual dollar number he quoted as "average" for design calculated with our estimated size and build cost. I'm guessing his average cost/build is lower because most of his stuff is bigger and more expensive than ours. If that makes sense... So our numbers may end up being less.

It's hard to compare apples to apples because they all bill/quote differently and each project is different.

rondis23
AG
I think I'm going to go back to school and become an architect!
Diggity
AG
obviously it's going to depend a lot on the size and cost of what you are building.

I don't know many people doing custom jobs in Houston for under $750K or so and 5% would be way too much to pay for design IMHO.

Todd Rice is one of the better architects in Houston and he doesn't charge nearly that much.

Don't the builders only get around 10-20% margin on the actual construction? How would the architect make around the same for some drawings?
MAS444
AG
Yeah that's why I tried to qualify it by using our numbers. We're building a smaller than "normal" custom house. We don't want gigantic rooms, a media room, etc. We're shooting for about 3000ft2. But we want it to be nice and custom. When you start adding a lot of square footage, the $/ft/build goes down because of economies of scale and those larger spaces don't need as much "design."

I'm sure Rice is very good but I think they work with a lot of big builders who do huge (5000ft2+) semi-custom homes. I believe they're more of a mass production type shop. I don't doubt that his cost is much lower. I'm also not sure if he's an architect, not that that necessarily matters... Just not what we were looking for.
Diggity
AG
to each their own my man.

MAS444
MAS444
AG
And FWIW, some of the residential architects who are known as the best in town are much higher: Dillon Kyle, Jay Baker, Murphy-Mears, e.g.
Diggity
AG
I don't doubt it.

You're not really talking about the group of architects the average poster on texags will use.

In my mind, spending $30K on architecture is excessive but others have different priorities.
rondis23
AG
These numbers are extremely high to me as well. We just built a 3,000 sq ft living custom home ourselves. Custom exterior, ceilings, hidden rooms, all the electrical placement drawn in with a local drafter. Took probably just under 10 hrs. What's the benefit of hiring an "architect" for a residential project?
The Fife
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

The Fife said:

It'll exclude garages and attics. We're starting out at 4,000 sq ft basis and he'll charge extra if we go over that.
Gotcha, I was thinking living space as in excluding bedrooms/bathrooms/kitchen.

Sounds like a decent deal if you like examples of their prior work. We're working with one on our addition/fixing problems with previous additions done on the place. I thought I had a pretty good design to start with but what he came up with is a lot better.
MAS444
AG
As Diggity said, different strokes... A good architect is definitely not a requirement to build. However, and I'm not saying this about your house...but it can be pretty obvious when a good architect wasn't used. If we're going to spend ____ money on a house that we plan on being in for along time, I want to make sure to do it right. We're also dealing with some unique issues as far as our lot goes, which will take some skill to design properly.
Diggity
AG
What area did you decide to build in?
MAS444
AG
Woodland Heights
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

An architect we really like quoted us $3/sqft (living area only) plan our $4,000 sqft house. Is his price in the realm of reality or is it out of site? Most quotes we get are for $2 to $2.50 per square foot.

If you are still looking for a good architect that will work for you and with you from scratch to finish with however redraws needed shoot me an email-andresv94 at the y
I've done residential design for over 25 years from small projects to large projects thru out Texas, California and in Mexico
Builder93
AG
rondis23 said:

These numbers are extremely high to me as well. We just built a 3,000 sq ft living custom home ourselves. Custom exterior, ceilings, hidden rooms, all the electrical placement drawn in with a local drafter. Took probably just under 10 hrs. What's the benefit of hiring an "architect" for a residential project?
So they should just get rid of the architecture program because you can get a drafter to draw what you saw on pinterest?

An good architect can take a house from nice to super nice for people who appreciate finer details. Just because you don't appreciate a truly high-end home doesn't mean you need to trash an entire profession. You think an architect is impressed that you managed to sneak in a hidden room behind your bookshelf? The Munsters had one of those when TV's were still black and white.
88jrt06
AG
That was pretty good.
rondis23
AG
Builder...my question AND my post were Both genuine. The only trashing was done on your part. I also never said "do away with an entire profession". I'm happy there are people who appreciate "high end" architecture in a home. But again, my Honest question is in regards to the difference between the work of a drafter, and the work of an architect for a residential project. Thanks for the bash though.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
It depends on the scope of services. Is the Arch starting from scratch, how close is the site to the office, do you have a compressed schedule, are you looking for assistance in the bidding/negotiation phase, to what level is he developing the documents ( i.d. "builder's set" vs. "full set" to include specifications etc. Is he providing the structural engineer, interior designer( if needed) permit documents completed, Many variables go into the fee. $12K should get you a decent level of service, including consultants, on a 'typical' house on a 'typical' site.
CaptnCarl
AG
Would any of you be willing to share those architect references you personally used?

I was quoted 12% construction cost for a very vanilla proposal. Plus there's no guarantee they're going to keep construction cost to a minimum.

There was a good question about whether those high rates are worth it. I'm trying to decide if my money may be better spent elsewhere like carpentry.
PFG
AG
Any more details? 12% of a house build to let a builders draftsman come up with something? More info would be helpful.

In regards to where you spend the money, it all comes down to what you value.

Do you want to spend the time and money working with an architect to create something truly unique and custom? Or are you fine if you home looks similar to others, and you'd rather put that money into high end appliances or high grade wood, etc etc.

I can answer more about our process if interested. We designed from scratch with an architect and his team. Spent about a year going from meeting #1 to final CDs and bidding out the project to builders. Currently in month 11 of construction with a few more to go.
AG Custom
AG
This is such a perceived value question and topic IMO. I'll preference my opinion first by saying that i have worked with plans from probably no less than 50 different architects and have worked directly with at least 30 of them during the construction process during a custom build (those that are actually involved after the plans). I have built custom homes from 2500 sqft to over 17,000 sqft and price ranges of $300K to over $5M. Some of the architects are great and plans are clear, clean, and everything builds easily, and some of them have designs that look great, but don't translate to actual building and often end up having to modify or change things in the field due to that. Most architects are not engineers and because of that there are times where the engineering of the plan gets very cost prohibitive for the buyer, and majority of the time they client doesn't find this out until the plans are completed and paid for. They can even set unrealistic expectations of price with clients when they don't have a full grasp, then the client ends up upset with the builder or pricing, when the plans, engineering and details of plans always dictate what the price will be. Not to say there aren't some great architects out there, because there are, but there are also some really bad ones out there as well, and price isn't a direct correlation to quality.

As far as price goes, i have seen awesome architects design from scratch to fit on lot for $1.00-$2.00 per square foot of total covered area. I have seen really bad architects charge $3.00/sqft total covered or charge a % of build to a client, but they get far less than their money value IMO.

The relationships that i have with architects who design for my clients are between $1.00-$1.50/sqft total covered (depending on footages) and they work and do revisions until the client and myself are satisfied with the plans. If people went directly as retail, the price would be about $0.50/sqft total covered higher.

IMO it is hard to justify paying a % or above $2/sqft total covered for plans as i havent been able to see the added value above that, but to each their own and if you are fine paying that price and feel that the value is there for you and your project, then that is what really matters. Peace of mind is always worth something.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.