Real Estate
Sponsored by

House fire and insurance question

2,406 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OnlyForNow
Beckdiesel03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mother has a hoarder across the street from her. Last week, their boat and storage carport caught fire causing the next door home to burn as well as the hoarders home. Fast forward and the next door home is already being cleared out and worked on while the hoarders have done nothing. Everyone is worried that they are going to just walk away and leave it the way it is and let the city deal with it. Can this happen or will the insurance go after them? I know from the city side you can't let it sit like that for more than a few months. Just curious as to what the hoarders could possibly get away with or not get away with. Thanks for any insight.
SteveBott
AG
Well do they have insurance? Might not if no mortgage.

Some insurance companies are pretty slow as well. Last year my client had a fire before closing and the seller had to get everything set up with a contractor who submitted draws to the insurance company so the money did not go directly to seller
Beckdiesel03
AG
I'm pretty sure they do. I know they have had several companies come out and give them quotes on remediation so I'm assuming that's for their insurance. Everyone is just worried they are going to just take off and do nothing. It should be interesting to see.
SteveBott
AG
I'd give it another week
Beckdiesel03
AG
Yea what concerns everyone is that they have already contacted a realtor to find them another home so we know they have no intentions of sticking around.
Absolute
AG
Had one burn on our street 8 or 9 years ago. It sat for almost a year before they started rebuilding because the insurance company was trying really hard to blame the homeowner, then the city. I believe it went to court for a while.

Eventually got resolved but was a definite eyesore and rat attraction for a while.

Have seen others who just take the insurance money, pay off their mortgage and walk. Known several people who did that from the Rowlett tornado. Though they sold the lots and slabs to builders I believe.
Beckdiesel03
AG
That's what they think is going to happen as well with this. The neighbor whose house happened to also catch on fire had already complained numerous times to the city regarding this house as well as my mom and several other people. They have video of all four hoarders coming out of the house and seeing the fire and not calling 911. They had flammable canisters of god only knows what else explode and shoot over into the homes on the next street. I can def see a court issue in the future.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

They have video of all four hoarders coming out of the house and seeing the fire and not calling 911. They had flammable canisters of god only knows what else explode and shoot over into the homes on the next street. I can def see a court issue in the future.

My first visit to this board and I am HOOKED.
JSKolache
AG
Have you seen the tv show? Hoaders never just leave hightail and leave. They are are addicted to their junk - can't live without it.
springagg
Is the house in Houston area? If so, shoot me an email kyle@maximinsure.com. We buy burned houses and remodel them. Could be exit strategy for them
Beckdiesel03
AG
It's in New Braunfels. And yes the fire marshall loved the fact he had some nice video of everything from the across the street neighbors security cameras.
springagg
email me the address of it kyle@maximinsure.com Maybe they want to sell to investor and let them rebuild. Could be done faster then current owners most likely.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I figured I would update this thread with the little bit of info I have. The oringinal hoarder house is still standing with everything still in it, taped off. Haven't mowed the grass and just moved some of the contents out into the driveway then left it there. They moved into a rental home. The second house next door has been gutted and is close to being finished up. The neighbors and the city have been going back and forth with the City finally setting a date of October 1st to get the place picked up or cleaned up or something moving. Haven't seen anything done as of today so should be interesting if the City actually does jack*****
The Fife
JSKolache said:

Have you seen the tv show? Hoaders never just leave hightail and leave. They are are addicted to their junk - can't live without it.

That's true, I spent 3 years moving grandma's stuff out from hey place in Northeast Texas. She died before I was even able to complete the task, and it took another couple of years to go through everything after that happened.
sts7049
AG
there was a house in katy, on kingsland, that burned pretty good a few years ago. it probably sat that way for over a year at least. suddenly one day there were people working on it and got it fixed up (this was probably almost a year ago now) but has sat vacant ever since it seems like, at least as of a few months ago when i drove by it last.

i could never understand how that house could even be repaired without razing and starting over. the roof was destroyed and a whole season of rain fell in that place.
Beckdiesel03
AG
The neighborhood is more pissed at the fact that so much burned, water soaked junk can sit outside including cars and boats and the city won't do anything from that standpoint. I do know they had a local flipper come in and give them an offer contingent on the owners got rid of the junk first and the owner said "no that's your problem" so they walked. I also know they have had a few companies come out in hazmat suits for quotes on cleaning it up so I'm assuming it was more than the guy wanted to spend.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ther was one in cinco on the east side of 99 that got hit by lightening and burned maybe 8 years ago or so, it sat there 3 years while the owners fought the insurance in court. Finally they (owners) won and work started on the house.

Sometimes the delay can't be helped. Doesn't sound alike the case here though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.