Real Estate
Sponsored by

TAMU MRE PROGRAM

3,777 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GigAg04
COSCAG67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for anyone in the Austin / Central Texas area that has gone through the Masters in Real Estate Finance program at A&M. I've considered taking this route, but am curious about job placement in this area.

TIA!
Bitter Old Man
AG
Went through it in early 2000's. Live in Austin. email me at atxbanker at gmail Happy to chat with you.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Went through it in early 2000's. Live in Austin. email me at atxbanker at gmail Happy to chat with you.
Username doesn't checkout...
aggiejumper
AG
http://www.best-masters.com/search.php?PHPSESSID=a46387d3a650f5498868d56f5bca24fd&query=real%20estate&hootPostID=32896fa8a19647bf1337d65408b5e090

MRE top 5 RE masters in the world. I graduated LERE mid 2000's. Post questions here, there are a few of us old and new that read the RE board.
COSCAG67
AG
aggiejumper said:

http://www.best-masters.com/search.php?PHPSESSID=a46387d3a650f5498868d56f5bca24fd&query=real%20estate&hootPostID=32896fa8a19647bf1337d65408b5e090

MRE top 5 RE masters in the world. I graduated LERE mid 2000's. Post questions here, there are a few of us old and new that read the RE board.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to use this degree in the "thriving metropolis" of Temple, TX , or within a reasonable commute from Temple (we've already planted our roots). I currently work from home and commute to Austin 2-3 days per week and that has worked out well.

From what I've gathered, I could pursue the appraiser route, but I would need to find a sponsor. I could also get into the brokerage side of things.

The MRE website also shows career paths in development, lending, capital markets and investment / asset mgmt. Are any of these realistic career paths for this area? I occasionally see jobs posted by teacher retirement system, but not much else. Or maybe there are opportunities to work remotely in the CRE field?

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. I have a construction science degree from A&M, a lot of sales experience, construction mgmt experience for a build-to-suit developer, and I've done construction consulting for banks.

TIA

mazag08
AG
MRE is a waste of time and money to be an appraiser. If your goal is to stay in Temple then I probably wouldn't go through the trouble.

What is it that you are expecting to learn?
COSCAG67
AG
mazag08 said:

MRE is a waste of time and money to be an appraiser. If your goal is to stay in Temple then I probably wouldn't go through the trouble.

I agree... I won't be going back to school to be an appraiser. I've considered the appraiser route, but it's a no-go unless someone is willing to sponsor me... and training your future competition isn't exactly the easiest sell

The degree would be more for opening doors to jobs I currently don't have a shot at. I had a classmate go through the program and is now in an acquisitions role and another is working as an analyst for Hines.

My location is why I haven't already enrolled in the program. As far as staying in Temple goes, the only thing I've seen online is a land development job at DR Horton (based in temple). However, I currently commute to Austin for work 2-3 days per week and figured I could find something with the MRE in Austin that would allow me to do the same. Embree Asset in Georgetown has guys that work remotely, so I think it could work.

Bitter Old Man
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Username doesn't checkout...
Age aint nothin but a number, its all in how you feel....
Rice and Fries
COSCAG08. said:

mazag08 said:

I agree... I won't be going back to school to be an appraiser. I've considered the appraiser route, but it's a no-go unless someone is willing to sponsor me... and training your future competition isn't exactly the easiest sell

The degree would be more for opening doors to jobs I currently don't have a shot at. I had a classmate go through the program and is now in an acquisitions role and another is working as an analyst for Hines.

My location is why I haven't already enrolled in the program. As far as staying in Temple goes, the only thing I've seen online is a land development job at DR Horton (based in temple). However, I currently commute to Austin for work 2-3 days per week and figured I could find something with the MRE in Austin that would allow me to do the same. Embree Asset in Georgetown has guys that work remotely, so I think it could work.

To be frank, it sounds like the program would be a waste of your time.

If you are dead set on being in Temple and not wanting to move (which I totally understand) you are better trying to leverage your current experience into the role at DR Horton, or sweet talking some old appraiser into sponsoring you or finding some other similar type role.

The program really has shifted gears from the LERE days to more finance based. There were still guys who went into appraisal and title management from my class, but most of us went into banking or some type of analyst role at the HFF/Banks/life cos/developers. I started out in appraisal but this was more towards portfolio valuation for JPM and Wells Fargo and I only lasted a year.

If you were open to doing the program, you might have more opportunistic jobs in the Austin area doing underwriting for a bank or lending co., if that was what suited your fancy, then I would recommend the program for you.

The program itself is actually quite good. Provides a great foundation in real estate and exposure to the various careers paths involved. I will admit however, it does not provide much exposure towards the mortgage banking side ( I mean this as in having exposure to guys already in the mortgage banking field). Thats really my only complaint.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I graduated in 2015 and currently work in the debt side of things.
mazag08
AG
I didn't go through the program, but I know that it has fantastic job placement. I just don't think you're going to find something closer than Austin. Maybe a development job one Waco? Are there any mid to large developers that call Waco or Temple home?
COSCAG67
AG
I know of a few smaller groups in temple but that's why I'm posting to see if anyone is familiar with any potential employers in this area. And I don't mean to rule out Austin... I would really like to know what all you can do with this degree in Austin as well. My last two jobs have been based in Austin, but I've been able to work out an arrangment where I'm in the office 50% of the time or less. I'm also curious to see if any of you that have gone through the MRE program have seen anyone in this field work partially from home.
mazag08
AG
There are tons of things you can do, though I don't know your background and whether you might be able to do them anyway. If you want to be a commercial real estate broker,it will certainly help but isn't necessary in the slightest. If you want to get into acquisition or development, once again, it will help but isn't absolutely necessary. Where I think you would need it is if you want to get into real estate finance or banking.
mags09
AG
I went through the program about 5 years ago after working in a non real estate related field first.

Have you reached out to Cydney Donnell (runs the program) to setup a meeting? She's one of the brightest people in Mays, has Wall Street experience and sits on the board for 2 REITs, one of which is based in Austin. She would be a great resource to tell you if the program is a fit for what you're looking to do. The program is generally for people who go straight from undergrad into the program or who have worked less than a couple years.
COSCAG67
AG
No I haven't heard of her, but thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find her email.
dcAg
I have hired numerous graduates of the program and highly recommend it!

The placement is close to or at 100%.

As a side note in the mid 90's the Business School wanted to disolve the program and take the money and dump it in the the Business School. I started quite a ruckus within the University. The next time I was asked to speak to the program I asked Dr. Etter how things were going. He smiled and chuckled and said, "Thanks to you we had a number of Aggies step up to support the program. We will be fine going forward."
COSCAG67
AG
You don't happen to hire in the Austin to Waco area by any chance do you ?
country
AG
mazag08 said:

I agree with most of the advice given on this thread, but I disagree with this statement. If your goal is to become a run of the mill house or commercial appraiser churning out 100s of reports a year then this statement probably fits.

However, the MRE program is one of 5 degree paths nationally that is recognized by the Appraisal Qualifications Board of the Appraisal Foundation. Graduate from the program and the only qualifying education course you have to take is a 2 day standards and ethics class. The program is also recognized by the Appraisal Institute and the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers. Graduate from the program and you have all of the educational requirements for each organization's highest designations.

So once you are done with the program you have a Master's degree, all state certification hours, and all education hours for the two largest Appraisal organizations in the U.S. That is a pretty cheap path for all that is bundled together. Work for 2.5 years under someone to get a certification (1.5 of which can be done while in school) and 2.5 additional years and you have a Master's, State Certification, and two designations. Those credentials open the door to specialized and complex appraisal business with litigation support and other lucrative opportunities.

Just want to reiterate that I agree with a lot of what has been said on this forum but I don't want potential students to scoff at the idea that this program doesn't matter in the Appraisal industry. If you want to be one of the best and be respected as such, it is a great opportunity.
GigAg04
AG
Happy to connect you with a few folks. My last firm was a huge sponsor of the MRE.

The Aggie Real Estate Conference is a great event and network. I was sorry to miss it this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.