Real Estate
Sponsored by

Property investing

8,764 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wilhunting
jt2hunt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is low for late fees for the number of apartments, it seems.

Awesome to have that many units! Keep up the great work!!

Several of my friends used appfolio. We all are using resman now.

bkag9824
AG
jt2hunt said:

That is low for late fees for the number of apartments, it seems.

Awesome to have that many units! Keep up the great work!!

Several of my friends used appfolio. We all are using resman now.

Why did you move to resman?
fdt00
AG
Resman is the best and cheapest product in the market.
Brian Simpson
It is all about finding the right properties to purchase. A good general rule is the 1% rule. It's hard to do, but if you purchase a $150,000 property you want to be able to rent it for $1500 a month. I am a Realtor in Bryan/ College Station and love finding investment properties. If anyone has questions about a property or would like me to put you on a specific email list for certain types of properties feel free to contact me.

Brian Simpson
BrianS@BHGPreferredLiving.com
713-851-9033
GigAg04
AG
You can take those 401Ks and IRAs and put them in real estate investment.

If you want a more hands off approach participating as a limited partner in syndicated commercial deals is a great approach, but you are subject to cash calls.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

You'll typically have a lot of fewer potential renters at the "high end" of the market.

It could potentially be a good strategy if you find the area is undeserved but I just don't see many higher end properties cash flowing.

It has been our strategy & so far it's working. Granted, "high end" out here in small town East TX is very different than "high end" in a large urban market. There is a glut of old, unrenovated & income based properties for rent for pretty cheap & we've found that young professionals crave something better. We've been able to buy super fixer-uppers at pretty low prices, put in new kitchens, bathrooms, nice flooring & the occasional full gut & roof, etc. and still make a good profit. That said, the market here is changing and some of it is directly due to us - we fix up one or two houses on the street & then the cost goes up on the crappy ones. It's made it hard to find any deals this year in our target neighborhoods. The price per sq ft is increasing & the amount of work they need is costly but the rents here are relatively stagnant. So, although ours are really nice for the area, there is a definite rent ceiling so we have to be very careful on the buy & reno.

Due to this, we just purchased our first property out in the county. We've been nervous about investing out of town because we like to go by & check regularly to make sure things are being maintained and there is the very real possibility of "illegal activity" when properties are secluded & ain't nobody got time for a meth lab on site. We drive by this one every day on our way home so it seemed right. Here is a breakdown: Very small 2/1 on one acre, small storage building, no garage.

Purchase price: $20,000
Super lucky get & what we strive for. We network like crazy, talking to every stranger in the hardware stores, restaurants, etc. to see what they know about the area. It was on the market last year for $45,000. Seller went FSBO for $30K but lives a few hours away- tired of having it mowed, paying water & watching it deteriorate. Inherited it from her father. Been empty for a couple of years.

Estimated reno costs: $25-30,000 *
Needs a lot, obviously. Things we don't do ourselves & where most of the money will go: Driveway work from erosion, new septic, hvac & some electric work (although we lucked out with a new 200 amp panel & up to date wiring), having some giant dead pines cut & possibly roofing. Things we do: kitchen, bath, flooring, some plumbing, new deck & paint inside & out)

Rent: $800/month
Already rented. A tenant in another property (1/1) told us she was moving out when her lease is up in September because she wanted.... you guessed it.... a 2 bed in the country where she could have a dog. She is a fantastic renter: professional, clean, always on time. We didn't want to lose her. We could probably get $850 but she is a "known" and we know it will be well taken care of. She will go month-to-month where she is until this is ready. Win-win!

So, it is possible to do better than the 1% rule if you can buy well, do a lot of work yourself, watch the fixer-upper costs & manage them on your own. We now have 10 properties & all of them beat it. It's been a ton of work but we should have all of our initial investment back in 5-6 years - then it will be all profit and equity.

*Edit: Estimates are rolling in this morning on services mentioned & we might luck out with $20-25K on renovation. It pays to work with the same contractors - they will work with you for repeat business.
88jrt06
AG
Wait! You're that....honorable guy.
In the middle of a family "issue".

Do business with this man. Good egg.
mwp02ag
AG
88jrt06 said:

Wait! You're that....honorable guy.
In the middle of a family "issue".

Do business with this man. Good egg.
Are you suggesting that by solving the sellers want, ie get rid of a liability that they obviously didn't want to put in the work to get the top dollar, and getting a good deal for himself in the process while providing a home to someone that perfectly meets their need, makes him a bad person to do business with?
itsyourboypookie
I'm looking into resman now, why do you like it better than appfolio?
fdt00
AG
Cheaper I believe, we pay $1.75/door. Very user friendly. Never used appfolio, but have seen there T-12's when buying properties from other owners and it seems pretty user friendly.
South Platte
one MEEN Ag said:

Tex_Ag_2017 said:

The only thing that I don't like about passive income from stocks are how much money you have to put into a stock to get anything out. It seems that if I put in $500 to a defend dividend etf or similar fund, I may get $5 a year back. The rent and rate at which property values grow seem to me to be higher than stocks but maybe they have a greater risk than your average etf or high dividend fund.
Your high dividend ETF is 1%? Just the S&P500 overall is like 2%. I think you're judging stocks to harshly and real estate too lightly. The barriers to get anything out of stocks are extremely low. One single stock + $4.95 per trade. Minimum investment in a rental property? 20-25% down payment + closing costs + repairs + first months rent to a management company. You're staring down potentially 45k and paying 5% interest on your loan in the meantime.

45k in a high dividend yielding stocks will do 4.5%. No fuss. No closing costs. If your trying to diversify your portfolio into a different asset that is one thing. If you're just trying to get better returns and are okay with higher risk look at REITs or investing in FAANG.
Interesting take. I think diversified portfolio could include both stock/mutual fund investments and rental property. Conservative minded investors looking at real estate might want to avoid the market correction you would find in stocks. Except for a few areas in our country, a 10% drop in real estate value is more realistic vs. a 50% drop in stock investment . . . when do you sell the stock and take a loss? Plus, during a recession when people can't afford to buy homes or qualify for mortgages, demand for your rental property increases.
jaggiemaggie
AG
scrap
AG
The OP is asking about INCOME Properties. He is new to investing real estate.

Mentioned in this thread is "Higher End" but not defined. So let me arbitrary state that low end income is $1000 rents or below in BCS and $1200 or below in Austin. Now I just pulled that out of my ass but to put some focus on this discussion, I put this out there. It will be important to understand low end vs high end as there is consequences with each.

Steps that need to be decided.

1. Set Goal....alluded by OP, looking for INCOME PRODUCING real estate. Income vs appreciation as a goal. Maximizing income (multi-family) vs easy of management (SFH). For this discussion lets say we prioritize income over appreciation but we would like to have a some appreciation.
2. Set Location: Closer to where OP lives is easier to manage and probably better to understand local market. Expanding your search area might produce better INCOME properties but may result in more risk/management.
3. Decide on type property: Single Family Home (SFH), Multi-Family duplex, triplex, fourplex. More than that for a newbie IMHO is taking on more than a newbie should in most cases.
4. Understand management expectations between type properties. Multi-Family units/property means more management issues associated with those properties vs SFH. How much more management issues are you willing to take on to get increased cash flow?

Each one of the above 4 issues could have it's own thread. However, let me put a bow on this!

Goal: Income over appreciation. Don't focus on what the property will be worth down the road, focus on what the cash flow can be expected over time. This assumes you are a buy and hold investor and not a flipper. If your a flipper then appreciation is far more important.

Location: Since you are a newbie, stay close to where you live.

Type Property: This is where the rubber meets the road for me. I am bias, but especially for a newbie with the goal in mind, I would look at duplexes. Your rents will be in the low end which means less economic risk, better cash flow and a compromise of management required between a SFH and a 4plex. I own 17 units, all duplexes but one 4plex. Although my 4plex cash flows extremely well, as a 63 old retired old fart, I would stay with the duplex for ease of management. Duplexes are usually very profitable and easier on the management vs 4plex. SFH are easier to manage day to day, but require higher rents as compared to a duplex and when you are between renters you have no income. A duplex should always provide income. It is easier to find two $1000 renters than one $2000 renter. It is in the economic downturn that you will understand this and you will avoid the threat of a long term vacancy....provides a peace of mind.

Many people on this board have great ideas too, this is just my take and it all comes from EXPERIENCE!

Cheers!
wilhunting
AG
After 18 years in the land-lording business I am transitioning to the "owner finance" side of things. I'm almost certain this vehicle is the pinnacle of real estate investing. Being the bank has always been my a goal of mine. I selt taught and have seen a lot along with making many mistakes but it's been fun and rewarding. I have actually enjoyed being a landlord but now prefer my phone to ring less. I've sold off all my rentals except 2 Duplexes, a 5-Plex and 2 commercial properties which are all considered A properties. I'll keep them for time being and would like to ADD that perfect commercial property to my portfolio. I've been loaning money to a certain demographic that's mostly un-bankable but absolutely a joy to deal with. They work hard, pay their mortgage and take pride in paying on-time. I'm up to 12 performing notes and love this product.

Cheers!
http://linkedin.com/in/chadjhudson
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.