Real Estate
Sponsored by

Inspection done for purchase. I've got a question.

2,070 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Absolute
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The dryer is vented into the attic instead of to outside the house. Is this common? It's always been vented to the outside in all the homes I've ever owned. It seems like a lot of moisture constantly vented into a closed space.
DannyDuberstein
AG
You sure it doesn't continue up thru the roof? Because you're right, pumping that moisture into a closed space in your house is no bueno.
thisguy05
AG
Dunno how common it is, but mine was vented to attic when I bought it. Looked like it had been that way for a long time.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

You sure it doesn't continue up thru the roof? Because you're right, pumping that moisture into a closed space in your house is no bueno.

Positive. You can see the lent accumulated all over the place.
Turkey
AG
I bet it vents through the roof. That's how our house is. Built in 1998, has worked fine.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
If I could show you the picture from the inspection I would. (To much trouble to figure out how to crop from the report using my phone.) Here's the verbiage directly from the report:

H. Dryer Exhaust Systems
Comments:
Deficiency Notes:
The dryer vent duct does not terminate outside of the home. "BC" There is a lot of grey
colored lint in the attic area around the dryer vent where it blows into the attic. This
should be routed outside the home.
M1502.2 Dryer exhaust systems shall be independent of all other systems and shall
convey the moisture to the outdoors.
Exception: This section shall not apply to listed and labeled condensing (ductless)
clothes dryers.

For the sake of argument, just assume it vents into the attic.
mwp02ag
AG
Lint in the attic or clogging vents is extremely flammable.
ATM9000
AG
We had an exhaust fan terminate in the attic in the house we are buying and the sellers fixed it.

Inspector told us no exhaust ducts should terminate in an attic.
Ornlu
AG
I've seen it before too, so I think it's common-ish. But it's definitely a problem and needs to be fixed. I'd either ask the sellers to fix before closing, or for a discount on purchase price. Might even ask them to let you pay a contractor to come fix it before closing.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
I've asked for the issue to be corrected. I don't see how this hasn't already been addressed. The house is 22 years old and sold at least three times. How do people not realize this is a safety issue?
CS78
Maroonedinaustin said:

Positive. You can see the lent accumulated all over the place.
Extra blown in insulation.
AggieGunslinger
AG
The house I am in now vented into the attic, within 2 feet of the gas furnace. I made the seller fix it.
SteveBott
AG
Have a contractor give you an estimate to fix then get the seller to concede that amount in seller paid closing costs and fix after purchase yourself. Then you know it's done right
mwp02ag
AG
Maroonedinaustin said:

The house is 22 years old and sold at least three times. How do people not realize this is a safety issue?

Not getting inspections?

This is a common problem after having a new roof installed. I find furnace flues disconnected all the time too. Roofing companies never think to go look.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
SteveBott said:

Have a contractor give you an estimate to fix then get the seller to concede that amount in seller paid closing costs and fix after purchase yourself. Then you know it's done right

Good point.
Absolute
AG
Dryer vent termination in the attic is bad ( moisture, lint, fire hazard, etc) and needs to be fixed regardless of age of home or how it might have been that way.

Bathroom exhaust fan vented to attic was common for a while and is not longer allowed. Less urgent repair.
mgreen
I am a realtor and just had a house with the dryer, kitchen range and all bathrooms venting into the attic. Fifty year old house and never had an issue. Buyer did fix all issues.
EagleCamden
AG
No biggie
Maroonedinaustin
AG
They are fixing it, so it's all good.
JSKolache
AG
SteveBott said:

This. Looking back at our home purchase, the sellers offered us cash to make our requested fixes after sale. Shoulda taken that cash....
Absolute
AG
JSKolache said:

SteveBott said:

This. Looking back at our home purchase, the sellers offered us cash to make our requested fixes after sale. Shoulda taken that cash....

This is really the best plan if the costs are reasonable to estimate.

Glad it worked out for the op. I have seen these blowing lint all over a gas furnace. I could be wrong, but seems like a really bad idea to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.