Real Estate
Sponsored by

"Normal settling" on a 1907 Bungalow

1,101 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
water turkey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at buying a house in Colorado Springs. We looked at a Craftsman bungalow that had a structural engineer's report out for review. They stated they is normal settling, associated with a 100 year old house. They recommended gutters and a couple of other things but said the foundation is structurally sound.

The front corner of the house slopes and the front door sticks.

When is "normal settling" not normal?

TIA
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
100 yr old homes are going to be a constant process of shimming and other foundation work but as long as you have good drainage it is pretty inexpensive at least compared to slab. But, making sure proper drainage is very important hence the gutters. What you describe likely needs attention and adjustment but maybe not anything to be too concerned about.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The house is 100 years old...
water turkey
Is that something that a buyer should expect the seller to fix?
p_bubel
water turkey said:

If a buyer of my property asked for it I would move on. I can't imagine what they would do when they saw the home inspection report on a house that age.
aggie appraiser
I'd rather negotiate a lower price and get it fixed myself if I were the buyer. That way, I hire the foundation company and direct the extent of the repairs and not have it half ass fixed by "John's Foundation Repair".
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Completely agree with this....get $$$ toward closing costs or $$$ off price and choose your own contractors. Seller, by human nature, will want to get it done quickly and cheaply...not their house anymore.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
CS78
water turkey said:

Would a reasonable person be able to observe the condition prior to submitting an offer? Was it mentioned on the sellers disclosure? If yes to either, then the buyer knew about it and should have factored it in to their original offer.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It's also likely pier and beam so it will be way easier to fix, 500 per pier or so
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.