Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home Inspection Report Clarification

1,246 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by water turkey
Spoony Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We had our home inspected and in my opinion the inspector included some things in the electrical section that ultimately caused the buyer to back out. In essence, the only item in the listing that needed addressed was gfi outlets in the garage and utility room. Notwithstanding that the buyer was scared single lady, I don't think it was explained to her the minor issues in the report. As the seller, is it allowed to approach the inspection service and get some clarification as to why certain items were listed as deficient?

Obviously I am frustrated but at the same time I want to know why certain items were included in the inspection report. Many items we took to licensed professionals and there response were those items were up to code despite being listed as deficient.
RK
AG
in my limited experience, inspection reports are giant and about 99% of things in there are probably not worth worrying over...especially if it's an older house. her realtor should have (and may have) helped her understand what things should be concerning and what shouldn't be.
Spoony Love
AG
That's just the thing, I don't think her agent really explained it to her so shame on the agent if true. Her request for repairs was that everything on the inspection get repaired. That was a red flag for sure from the buyer. i should have requested an actual list of items from the buyer instead of a blanket everything but hindsight is 20/20. Buyers reason for backing out was specifically the electrical items which made no sense and is in itself another red flag. Maybe she was shopping other houses the whole time.

But is it not customary for me to contact the inspector for clarification?
RK
AG
Quote:

Her request for repairs was that everything on the inspection get repaired.
wow...that seems insane.
Know1
AG
You can reach out to the inspector for clarification. Most inspectors are more than happy to explain what they found and how/why it was marked on the report.

Edit: NM...I answered my own question.
JP76
What all did they call out on the report beside GFCI?
Spoony Love
AG
The equipment grounding conductor is not protected from physical damage
Exposed wires (they lay across the rafters in the garage like 100% of the homes in our area do and electrician comments there is no danger upon further inspection)
Need GFCIs in garage and utility room
Cables through 1 hole in the panel(not against code and electrician still installs this way)
Breakers not labeled(although they are now)
No antioxidant on aluminum leads(something that has been this way and a very easy fix that I was unaware of)
A few GFCIs needed wired (included with the previous GFI comment though)
There are no AFCI receptacle at recommended locations
Garbage disposal needed conduit connector(I take full responsibility for that one)

Might need to mention the house was built in '81

+
JB
AG
She backed out for another reason, but used that as her excuse.
Spoony Love
AG
That was my thought as well. Just really sucks because we lost a lot of momentum with the house putting it under contract so quickly.
Diggity
AG
sounds like a clueless buyer. As JP mentioned, she was likely going to find any reason to back out.
mgreen
I am a realtor and my last couple of sales have been bumpy because of inspections on older homes. I go overboard explaining to buyers that the inspectors must cover their butt and list any issues they see. When a house is 50 years old you need to expect a bu check of issues. Inspections are for major items like safety and structural problems ONLY. Not cracked windows. When the giant inspection report comes back, they still panic. I did a sale on a new construction home recently and they still found a dozen items. There is no such thing as a perfect home.
JSKolache
AG
RK said:

Quote:

Her request for repairs was that everything on the inspection get repaired.
wow...that seems insane.
This is exactly what the Mrs. thought was appropriate when we bought, so maybe its a gender thing. I was like yeah right - gimme your top 3 only & I have veto power.
water turkey
I'm having an inspection done today on a 111 year old house that we are buying. I don't even want to let my wife see the inspection report!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.