Real Estate
Sponsored by

Don't understand how people afford these houses

14,271 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 88jrt06
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe I have been doing this wrong all this time. I was always under the impression that a house payment on a 30-year mortgage was going to be right around one percent of the price of your house. Obviously your interest rate and your down parking have some affect that, but one percent was the standard.

So I'm watching a DIY channel and everyone is buying these $350,000-$600,000 houses. I'm a little confused how a 25 year old can afford a $450,000 house in Washington DC. Even if she has a good job at that age you figure she is making $80K per year. Even at $100K per year a $4,000 mortgage payment would be excessive. What am I missing here?
ATM9000
AG
You are scaling everything to Texas.

DC property taxes are basically nothing and I've competed for MBA's to join my team in NY and leave DC... even 100k is low end comp for a 25 year old educated professional in DC.
Bocephus
AG
ATM9000 said:

DC property taxes are basically nothing and I've competed for MBA's to join my team in NY and leave DC... even 100k is low end comp for a 25 year old educated professional in DC.

At $150K you're making that payment?
Bocephus
AG
According to google the median income in DC is $75K while median housing cost of $556K.
ATM9000
AG
Bocephus said:

ATM9000 said:

At $150K you're making that payment?

Again scale out of Texas. Property taxes are like half a percent in DC. Consider that vs the 2.5 to 3% you pay in Texas. Then do the math on home payment relative to salary. At 150k, if I have 20% to put down, even with local income tax rates I don't know that I'm sweating the house payment too much.
ATM9000
AG
Bocephus said:

According to google the median income in DC is $75K while median housing cost of $556K.

Median income will be super low in DC considering how many welfare recipients there are.

DC professionals get paid really well due to cost of living.
ChoppinDs40
AG
This is also the reason why people are flocking to Texas from the northeast. Many can afford the cost of living but a lot also cannot or at least not enough to save for retirement/live a better lifestyle.
ryanhnc10
AG
There are plenty of 25-30 year olds buying $350k houses in Houston, Austin, and Dallas too
gig em 02
A 25 year old with a good job in DC buying a $500,000 house has rich parents who have given them money their entire lives. That's the way DC go.
Bocephus
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

There are plenty of 25-30 year olds buying $350k houses in Houston, Austin, and Dallas too

Which makes no sense to me either
littlebitofhifi
AG
Young professionals in those areas are also more likely to have roommates. Most of my friends who bought houses in LA or DC under the age of 30 rented out at least one room and/or lived with a significant other.
ryanhnc10
AG
Bocephus said:

ryanhnc10 said:

Your numbers are way off. On a $450k house and putting 20% down, that leaves a loan of $360k. Assuming decent credit you can get a 30 year mortgage rate under 4.5%, but let's assume 5% to make it easy.

The loan payment on the above scenario is less than $2k a month, much less than the 1% you are referencing.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Bocephus said:

ryanhnc10 said:

There are a lot of high paying jobs in big cities these days. Depending on what you do, a DINK couple ~28 years old can easily be clearing $200k a year in Salary.

Not a humble brag but we're 30yr old DINKs and went to state schools with parents who are middle class (made less than $140k combined). As of July, we'll be >$250k combined W2 Salary.

Some jobs just pay better than others.
Bocephus
AG
That's what I wanted to know
TamuKid
AG
I think the single biggest driving factor is having Dual-Income.
Women used to not work as much, and if they did, it usually wasn't high paying jobs.

Now (educated) women are working jobs earning 70-100k a year. Pair this with a husband who is working making the same, and you're at 140-200k a year in income.

That used to be unheard of; but it's the norm now.
histag10
AG
Yeah. I guess people don't realize what people are making these days. Just running the numbers for us (once we finally get rid of that god awful thing we call a house that wont sell), we would be fine around $300k. $350k would still work, but we wouldn't be able to put money back into savings as rapidly as we would like.
ATM9000
AG
There's that but the property tax effect is real. A home that carries a .5% property tax in one place can price roughly 1.4 times the price of a place that carries let's say a 2.75% property tax and the cash flow effect will be the same.
ChoppinDs40
AG
ATM9000 said:

There's that but the property tax effect is real. A home that carries a .5% property tax in one place can price roughly 1.4 times the price of a place that carries let's say a 2.75% property tax and the cash flow effect will be the same.
correctamundo.

$450k house with 20% down at 5% interest.

P&I is ~$2k... with taxes and insurance? $3,100.
JimmyHouston
AG
2k doesn't include taxes and insurance
histag10
AG
Right. Im taking property taxes into account here. We are in Brazos County, will likely look to be in CSISD.
The Fife
Debt, and lots of it! That, plus low interest rates, equals sky high prices. Especially in areas where property taxes are low in comparison to Texas.

Take somebody we know for example, they sold their home of ~10 years and rolled the equity (about $80K) into a house that cost $700K. 3,000 square feet of all the decor our grandparents would have wanted in the late '90s plus a mildew problem in the crawlspace. The fun part is that only one of them work and shortly after they had a kid.

I have no clue what their payment is, but if interest rates weren't as low as they are now there's no way they'd be able to swing that one. The way I see it that's a big part of our current housing bubble.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I've learned, as with everything, everybody spends their money differently.

In some cases, people choose to buy a very nice house even if that means they have less to invest, driver older cars, etc.
Bocephus
AG
The Fife said:

Debt, and lots of it! That, plus low interest rates, equals sky high prices. Especially in areas where property taxes are low in comparison to Texas.

Take somebody we know for example, they sold their home of ~10 years and rolled the equity (about $80K) into a house that cost $700K. 3,000 square feet of all the decor our grandparents would have wanted in the late '90s plus a mildew problem in the crawlspace. The fun part is that only one of them work and shortly after they had a kid.

I have no clue what their payment is, but if interest rates weren't as low as they are now there's no way they'd be able to swing that one. The way I see it that's a big part of our current housing bubble.

I think this is happening a lot
JSKolache
AG
My first job in DC paid 26k & rent was appx 60% of take home pay. So I got better jobs and found more roommates. It's always a sellers market there. New idealists with big hopes & dreams moving in every year - just keeps going up and up! Then once you have kids you have to move to the burbs or send your kids to private school. Whomp.
Matsui
AG
Don't even get me started on Los Angeles. Median income $56k median home price $765k last year!
Beckdiesel03
AG
Mr.Diesel and I have this conversation constantly. We drive paid for cars and have a modest home we've been in a decade. We want to upgrade but don't want the debt that comes with it. Right now I don't work so that is definitely a limiting factor but what amazes us is driving to preschool drop off they are all as well SAHM living in $450k plus homes and driving brand new suburbans. It baffles our minds bc we make a very decent salary but couldn't swing that. We have also had the pleasure of experiencing both losing our jobs simultaneously early on in our marriage so I know that plays a huge role in us being very debt adverse.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Having just sold my first home (of 9 years) and gone through the process to buy another house I was FLOORED at what the lenders wanted to pre-qualify me for. Yes I upgraded, but nowhere near what lenders would have let me do. It was madness!!!
Bocephus
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

Mr.Diesel and I have this conversation constantly. We drive paid for cars and have a modest home we've been in a decade. We want to upgrade but don't want the debt that comes with it. Right now I don't work so that is definitely a limiting factor but what amazes us is driving to preschool drop off they are all as well SAHM living in $450k plus homes and driving brand new suburbans. It baffles our minds bc we make a very decent salary but couldn't swing that. We have also had the pleasure of experiencing both losing our jobs simultaneously early on in our marriage so I know that plays a huge role in us being very debt adverse.

10 years ago, Texans were defaulting on their houses valued at 120K-200K in record numbers. We have seen a 1 percent annual increase in income, and now everyone is buying $200,000-$300,000 houses. It does not make sense.
agfan2013
AG
Just as a point of reference, I'm getting married next spring and just started to look at getting finances lined up for buying a first house in the fall. Even with putting down 15-18% and having some PMI for a year or two, our payments including property tax, PMI, etc. would only be about $1700 a month on a 250k house, so your 1% number is a bit high.
Bocephus
AG
agfan2013 said:

Just as a point of reference, I'm getting married next spring and just started to look at getting finances lined up for buying a first house in the fall. Even with putting down 15-18% and having some PMI for a year or two, our payments including property tax, PMI, etc. would only be about $1700 a month on a 250k house, so your 1% number is a bit high.

Be patient. The market is going to see a correction and your $250,000 houses will soon be available for $170,000.
ryanhnc10
AG
Bocephus said:

agfan2013 said:

Be patient. The market is going to see a correction and your $250,000 houses will soon be available for $170,000.

Considering you don't even know what market agfan is talking about, this is terrible advice
mazag08
AG
The poster above who said debt.. that's your answer.

The people buying these houses almost instantly go into significant debt after they buy. They think the LTV doesn't matter anymore and everything starts going on credit.

People don't k kw how to live within their means, and if the market were to take a hit again, a lot of these people would find themselves with a bunch of debt they can't reasonably pay off, especially if they lose their cushy job that they've pinned their lifestyle to.

The Fife
Bocephus said:

I think this is happening a lot

It just happened again with some other people we know. Their buy in was around $300K for a small '70s condo (more of a row house) and they said they put 3% down. This is assuming they were telling the truth anyway, but I'm seeing a lot of low money down advertising again for cheap neighborhoods out in the exurbs.

Hope they like the area because it looks like they're locked in for a while.
The Collective
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

I am shocked as well, but my wife and I try to stay focused on our situation instead of looking around at others. I teach a personal finance class at church and am shocked by the # of people who have come through my class that are broke. Money all in consumable goods and making large financial decisions just by analyzing the monthly outflow. It is sad.

With that said, there are a lot of folks who can absolutely afford the luxuries you name.
Bocephus
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

Bocephus said:

agfan2013 said:

Considering you don't even know what market agfan is talking about, this is terrible advice

Unless he is buying in Hawaii, I stand buy it. Housing prices cannot continue to increase at this rate when salaries are increasing at 1 percent. You do you though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.