Real Estate
Sponsored by

Wife wants to get into real estate

2,385 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tclub
tclub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She has been staying at home with the kids the last 4 years. Now she wants to look into starting a new career as a real estate agent. We're in DFW, any tips, advice or suggestions on how to get started? Who to work for?

Thanks!
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
It's not as easy as most people think...there is a reason so many new agents decide not to renew after a year.

Be prepared to work hard and hustle every day to procure clients...again, most people think it's easy, not hard, and schedule will be completely flexible. These are the same people that don't renew.

Don't expect to make a lot of money your first year...if you NEED the income right away, get a 9-5 job that has a salary.

If she is willing to work hard, loves working with people, loves solving problems, is willing to hustle for business, is willing to work hard, and is willing to work hard (did i mention that one), then it can be extremely fulfilling and you can make a very good living. I wouldn't trade my job for anything....
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Copp
Pm me. I am a private investor in DFW. Looking to add some staff to help with the day to day operations. I am not a broker so she can't hang a license under me, but she can learn the ins and outs of real estate from the investment side. Which I think is far more exciting than the realtor side (no offense realtors)
4lilmonkeys
Copp said:

Pm me. I am a private investor in DFW. Looking to add some staff to help with the day to day operations. I am not a broker so she can't hang a license under me, but she can learn the ins and outs of real estate from the investment side. Which I think is far more exciting than the realtor side (no offense realtors)

This was going to be along the lines of my suggestion. Start on a team or working under an experienced agent. Do something where you can get some real estate experience first (while also getting a steady paycheck if you can). I am grateful for it and it's helped me a great deal after transitioning into being on my own.
tclub
Thank you for the comments everyone.
jja79
AG
Tell her to be thick skinned and stay off Texags if she's bothered by people saying her service isn't worth the cost.
vette
AG
Copp said:

Copp, can you email me? I'd like to get together some time and pick your brain if you're willing. Real estate investor myself

Vette587100 at yahoo dot com
mazag08
AG
vette said:

Copp said:

Copp, can you email me? I'd like to get together some time and pick your brain if you're willing. Real estate investor myself

Vette587100 at yahoo dot com
Had no idea you were investing. What kind of assets do you own?
vette
AG
SFRs, but looking to expand, hence the desire to meet some DFW investors to learn more.
Kenneth_2003
AG
HomeFinderCody said:

It's not as easy as most people think...there is a reason so many new agents decide not to renew after a year.

Be prepared to work hard and hustle every day to procure clients...again, most people think it's easy, not hard, and schedule will be completely flexible. These are the same people that don't renew.

Don't expect to make a lot of money your first year...if you NEED the income right away, get a 9-5 job that has a salary.

If she is willing to work hard, loves working with people, loves solving problems, is willing to hustle for business, is willing to work hard, and is willing to work hard (did i mention that one), then it can be extremely fulfilling and you can make a very good living. I wouldn't trade my job for anything....
Just conversing with my realtor while we were driving around from place to place when I was looking... She said when she started off, working under someone at a larger firm, it was 3 years before it started getting "easier." She still represents buyers, but is now established enough that sellers come to her as well. But when she was getting her name out there, she pretty much represented buyers only. So for every commission, how many days driving all over everywhere showing homes?
mazag08
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

HomeFinderCody said:

Just conversing with my realtor while we were driving around from place to place when I was looking... She said when she started off, working under someone at a larger firm, it was 3 years before it started getting "easier." She still represents buyers, but is now established enough that sellers come to her as well. But when she was getting her name out there, she pretty much represented buyers only. So for every commission, how many days driving all over everywhere showing homes?

In my early years, for every semi interested person I "touched" in any way or manner, about 10% - 15% would actually close on a home with me representing them. As I became more efficient that number became closer to 25%. Some people take forever to make a decision, some knew exactly what they wanted.

Her main job is to educate them about the process, break down the numbers they can expect at every point, explain the market and trends in sales, pricing, school districts, development nearby, utilities and providers, and make sure she has convincingly and thoughtfully laid expectations for her role with the client.
gvine07
AG
I recommend having her "shadow" an agent before committing to a realtor license.

Agents work nights and weekends, especially at the beginning. If she's used to spending most her time with your kids it may not be what she's looking for.

But who knows? Maybe she'll find that's her calling
tclub
gvine07 said:

I recommend having her "shadow" an agent before committing to a realtor license.

Agents work nights and weekends, especially at the beginning. If she's used to spending most her time with your kids it may not be what she's looking for.

But who knows? Maybe she'll find that's her calling

Thank you
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.