Real Estate
Sponsored by

Pre Purchase Inspection for 588 Unit Apartment Complex in Houston

1,380 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by buddybee
G Money
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
***posting for a friend

Need recommendations for a good building inspector in Houston. Wants a thorough pre-purchase inspection on a 588 unit apartment complex and common areas in the Westheimer/Bellaire area.

Direct inquiries or request to bid to:

Chris Strawn
940-600-2120
cstrawn@shsvcs.com

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
Bitter Old Man
AG
In a previous life we used these guys for what you are talking about... https://emgcorp.com/

Diggity
AG
damn...do people actually get inspectors to look at that many units? I figured you would just bring in a team of contractors.

Is your buddy at least under contract?
Bitter Old Man
AG
When I was in that business, we inspected every single unit. We typically spent a week with a couple of employees walking units with a member of the property staff. We had a checklist, and would get through a normal unit in about 2 minutes. It was mostly to put eyes on everything, and to see if there were any major problems. Our head maintenance would inspect all of the large mechanicals and exteriors.

The property people ran interference with the tenants, while I walked around. I saw some pretty crazy stuff. Its amazing how different people live.
Diggity
AG
I would definitely go through every unit. I just don't think I would hire a structural/mechanical inspector to do that job. They're going to give you 50 pages on each unit and charge you a fortune.

It sounds like you did what most would.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

I saw some pretty crazy stuff.
You can't throw this out there and leave it hanging....
jt2hunt
AG
I would get a team of people to inspect each u it for basic things: water leaks, cracks, appliances age, updates

Quick five minut inspection

Get the following contractors to inspect : roofs, foundations, electrical, hvac , plumbing (camera lines), and some gc's to Inspect some interiors and exteriors.

Have a general plan of renovations for the gc to provide some budget numbers.

I don't inspect all units as a gc. If your team sees something in a specific unit then I would go into said units and review.
jt2hunt
AG
I would not use building inspectors to do this job, FYI.
jt2hunt
AG
I don't camera all the lines. If there are cracks in siding or some buildings appear to have foundation issues the camera those sewer lines first. If there are issues then you may choose to camera more buildings. It also depends on the class of the property as to how many buildings I would camera.

Most of the inspections are minimal expense but sewer camera inspections are pricey.
buddybee
I would without a doubt hire Edwin Robinson of Professional Engineering Inspections. He is the best in Texas. If there is a problem he will find it and make you aware of it. Here is a link to his website. I

https://profengineering.com/

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.