Real Estate
Sponsored by

Land survey

1,196 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Spoony Love
Spoony Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I are thinking of purchasing a house with land that will be carved out of a larger piece of land. It will require a survey but we aren't sure how much that will cost.

Anybody know about how much a survey costs? It seems it would be a simple square shaped plot. Does that matter?
Moon Bomber One
A couple hundred, I think..
Ornlu
AG
How many acres, what's the terrain and vegetation like, and what county?
Spoony Love
AG
Roughly 25 acres. Gentle slop to the terrain. Sight lines are wide open as the current larger plot is hayfield. Madison County.
normaleagle05
AG
Talk to your lender and title company. Get an explicit written list of their requirements for things to be shown on a survey and their certification requirements. Most folks will look at you like a cow staring at a new gate regarding the certification requirement. When you get the list push back on everything requiring locating anything farther than 5 feet from the proposed property line and any certification higher than a simple Texas Board of Professional Land Surveying certification or possibly a Texas Society of Professional Surveyors Category 1B (NOT a 1A). There is no reason to survey a house in the middle of 25 acres for the purposes of a partition. This is what appraisals are for, though you may want to have the survey stake the boundary lines every 100ish feet so the appraiser knows where they are relative to the improvements.

When you're done with all that, call James at Jones Carter in College Station and have him do the work. There are two very good registered surveyors there (James being one and the department manager). You will pay more on the front end but you will greatly reduce the risk of paying attorney's, surveyors, and your own headaches in a boundary or title conflict later.

If I still worked in the area this kind of thing would start in the $3k-3,500 range and go up depending on research (Madison is a fruitful place for not having been surveyed since the 1870s), field conditions (sight lines arent everything, plowing or mowing property often destroys title evidence), lender and title requirements, current owner orneryness, parent tract size and configuration, and distance from the office.

If someone quotes you a few hundred to survey your dream/retirement rural property, like was suggested above, feel free to take it at your own risk.
PFG
AG
Quote:

A couple hundred, I think

Not a chance.

My wife and I own 6.5 acres, and we bought a 1.85 acre piece next door. Wanting them surveyed together required an amending plat with the county. Between county fees and the surveyor cost (the biggest chunk by far), this was a $5,500 project. And no, there weren't any funky easements, flood plains, strange shapes, etc. Pretty straight forward - bite a chunk out of one piece of property, survey it into another.
PFG
AG
I should add - this took a fast 3.5 months from proposal to stamped approval at the county clerks office.

The wheels of county land shenanigans move slow.

And the price is high.
normaleagle05
AG
PFG said:

I should add - this took a fast 3.5 months from proposal to stamped approval at the county clerks office.

The wheels of county land shenanigans move slow.

And the price is high.

3.5 months is a very reasonably entry schedule for any platting activity. Buying a partition of 25 acres out of a larger parent tract won't trigger any platting requirements.
Spoony Love
AG
Holy information Batman. Thanks everyone, I'll make sure we are doing what is needed with our agent and lender. Luckily thye have been through this thing quite a bit.
PFG
AG
Quote:

3.5 months is a very reasonably entry schedule for any platting activity

I've been told this a few times by others that I've shared the story with.

I'm happy it wasn't a full vacate and re-plat. All in all, I hope its my last survey and platting adventure.
oklaunion
I'm having 9 acres surveyed plus various easements for 1275 in BCS area.
SteveBott
AG
OP as you can see there is lots of variables on property not in suburbia cookie cutter lots. Your best bet is call the title company you want to work with and get a couple survey company referrals. Then get specific quotes on he property
Spoony Love
AG
That is the plan thus far. Title company knows the situation and our agent knows her way around these types of land deals. Knowing the things we have discussed and seeing them pop up on this thread has eased my apprehension a lot. Thanks TexAgs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.