Real Estate
Sponsored by

FEMA Flood Loss History Report

7,160 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agnerd
TexCOAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone aware of how to obtain FEMA flood loss history for a property if you are not the current owner?

We are under contract for a house and have reason to believe the seller is not disclosing all FEMA flood claims for the property. When our insurance agent attempted to set up flood insurance for the house, the system showed it would be rated as a "repetitive loss property" policy. Repetitive loss is more than one claim in the past ten years for more than $1,000 each. So far they have only disclosed one claim in 2009.

I called FEMA and they claimed only the current owner of the property may request the flood loss history report.
Martin Q. Blank
Then ask the current owner to request a flood loss history report and send it to you.
The Original AG 76
AG
if you are attempting to obtain insurance your insurance company should be able to access the report and any claims record on the property.
TexCOAg
AG
Seller has refused to obtain the report.

My insurance agent tried to obtain claim information from FEMA but once again was told only current owner can request the report.
Martin Q. Blank
Explain to owner what FEMA is telling you about repetitive loss. Ask for a report or an affidavit stating the loss history. Walk away if they won't comply.
The Original AG 76
AG
TexCOAg said:

My insurance agent tried to obtain claim information from FEMA but once again was told only current owner can request the report.
what I don't understand is that there is an industry wide ( insurance) dat base that all LEGIT insurance companies use that has a detailed list of ALL claims on a property. It should show all of the possible INSURANCE claims made. I suppose that the owner could have had FEMA claims that didn't involve the use of his insurance but I thought that FEMA claims require the claimant supply proof of attempt to file an insurance claim first , show proof of denial and then file a FEMA claim.
AT least that what I was told by my agent.
BUT ..far too many alarms going off ...I would RUN AWAY and just eat any ernest money etc...

sorry..cant help myself..I relish any excuse to post and watch ANY Holy Grail scene......
Ornlu
AG
TexCOAg said:

Runaway. Seriously, run. away.
JSKolache
AG
Welcome to Houston!
The Collective
AG
TexCOAg
AG
Seller has now agreed to obtain the flood loss history report.

Problem now is I can't seem to get a straight answer on the flood insurance policies surrounding repetitive loss properties.

Seller's insurance agent claims the flood insurance rate will drop back down to preferred risk policy once there is only one claim on record in the past 10 years.

My insurance agent says the property will always be repetitive loss premium once there are two or more losses in any 10 year period, regardless of when the 10 year period was.

FEMA has yet to return my call. I have not found anything on FEMA website addressing this situation. Anyone know where the policies can be referenced regarding repetitive loss properties, specifically addressing policy premiums?

I am definitely considering backing out, but I want to make sure I have all the facts before I do so.
SteveBott
AG
FEMAs web site is like going back to the Stone Age. And good luck getting any statement from them.
Ornlu
AG
In my experience, your insurance agent is correct. Has he quoted you a price for the non-preferred, repetitive loss policy? Last time I quoted one of those, it was like $18,500 a year on a $250k house (but it was during that actuarial rates change a few years ago).

Repetitive loss policy may be prohibitively expensive even if it's just for a year or two. Trust your insurance agent.
Diggity
AG
The way the FEMA rules read to me, I think your agent is correct:

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/nfip/manual201205/content/20_srl.pdf

TexCOAg
AG
There seems to be a distinction between "repetitive loss" and "severe repetitive loss" (SRL). This property is classified as repetitive loss, not severe repetitive loss.

https://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program/definitions
Ornlu
AG
I don't think that differential is for insurance pricing purposes, I think it's for flood damage prevention & mitigation projects/grants. What was your insurance quote?
agnerd
AG
According to this, once a repetitive loss structure, always a repetitive loss structure:
Quote:

A Repetitive Loss property (RL) is any insurable building for which two or more claims of more than $1,000 have been paid by the NFIP during any rolling 10-year period since 1978. Claims must be at least 10 days apart but within 10 years of each other.
http://floodhelp.uno.edu/uploads/Guidebook%20for%20RLAAs%20FINAL.pdf

Quote:

Did you know...?
RL properties are never actually removed from your community's RL list. Even if these RL properties have been mitigated, they will still show up on your list.
But, don't panic!
There will be a notation on your RL list that clearly states that this property has been mitigated or otherwise removed from the flood hazard. The only time a RL property is actually removed from your list, is if it never belonged there in the first place (i.e., that RL belonged to another community).
South Platte
Regardless of whether a claim has been filed or not, why would you consider buying a property that is classified as a repetitive loss property? Surely there are alternative housing options.
Ornlu
AG
Sometimes you can do something to fix the flooding. ie: remove the driveway and repour at a lower elevation so water quits ponding against the house. Or you can cut a swale in the back yard to move water around the house. Meanwhile, the repetitive loss status keeps the house from being purchased by any except cash offers so you can get it for 60 cents on the dollar.

Othertimes, the flooding is riverine in nature and the whole slab (finished floor elevation) would have to be raised -- which is prohibitively expensive. It's important to keep in mind that ever flooding source is unique.
agnerd
AG
South Platte said:

Regardless of whether a claim has been filed or not, why would you consider buying a property that is classified as a repetitive loss property?
Because idiots in Houston will rent them for about the same price as houses outside the floodplain. Or at least they would before Harvey. After 10 years of the tenants tearing up the place, a flood comes and your flood insurance pays for the renovation (including tenant destruction). You then charge more than before the flood because you have pretty pictures of a new kitchen and bathrooms. If it floods enough, FEMA will come in and buy your flooded house at un-flooded prices just so they don't have to keep paying for your decennial home renovation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.