Real Estate
Sponsored by

Help Finding A Rental (cross posted)

1,487 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dubi
StarryAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
*****UPDATE*****

I just wanted to update everyone on the situation. A HUGE Thank You is due to this board.

I was contacted by multiple people, and had multiple people that were willing to work with us. We found an amazing house owned by an amazing Ag that we are signing the lease on today. The house is a perfect fit for my family, and will allow my children to stay at the schools they currently attend.

We are beyond thankful for the help and advice we received.

I was told this board might have some suggestions ( and also so brutal responses), but I'm in a pretty rough situation, and can't find anyone that is willing to help, so I thought I would take the risk and ask here.

I have a family of 4, and have been a long time renter. Last year we had a major financial crisis occur, lost almost everything. Instead of bankruptcy or something more drastic, we chose to fight through it, We are on the road to recovery and are stable, but our credit was impacted greatly.

Our long term landlord notified us two weeks ago that he is selling the home, and has elected not to renew our lease in may.

We have been scrambling trying to find a place, and we have been unsuccessful. If anyone knows of someone who can help, please let me know. jmak10127 at gmail

***im out of posts*** so in reply to stardustag

We prefer to stay in that range so that we can rebuild our emergency fund and savings for a home purchase down the road. 15-1800 allows us to stay on track with everything.

We do have the ability to pay several months in advance if needed. We have put in multiple applications,including an apartment complex , but have been "beaten out" by more qualified tenants or have flat out been denied. We are now having difficulty finding anything that is available in our short time frame.
histag10
AG
Seems like an awfully short notice. My lease specifies 90 days I think.

Also, what is your budget? People on here can be crazy helpful with that information.
StarryAg
It is very short notice, But we have technically not been under a lease for over a year, it has been a month to month. Our intention was to actually purchase this home last year, and then our disasters hit. We had a great relationship with the landlord, and he had assured us he was willing to wait until we recovered; however, he changed his mind .

The whole situation is upsetting. We are looking to stay around 1500 , but less than 1800. Preferably CSISD as we have 2 school aged children.
dubi
AG
Do you need to move in 5 days or the end of May?
StarryAg
May 15, we have been searching since the beginning of April.
dubi
AG
StarryAg said:

May 15, we have been searching since the beginning of April.

Just an FYI, a rookie can only post a few times a day. So if you run out of posts then edit your original post at the top.
histag10
AG
There are a ton of houses for rent in my neighborhood. It has become a college student type neighborhood. BUT there are some houses that have been vacant since I moved in in September, and they are still listed for rent. Most of these houses are going to fall into that price range.

Look at houses in the area of Glade, between GB and Holleman. It is in CSISD.

If you are worried about your credit holding you back from obtaining a rental, see if your current landlord can serve as a rental reference for you.
stardustag
AG
sounds like you (OP) has the ability to pay about $1500 for rent a month, but cannot find a house available? I would assume you can easily find an apartment temporarily if you must with that price range...

your kids are already in school, so even if you have to move outside of CSISD shouldn't be a problem for this semester. For next school year, if the school(s) asked, you can always negotiate with them (it has been done before).
histag10
AG
Also, drive around. There are a lot of FRBO houses that aren't listed online, but have signs in the yard. That's the case with a few in my neighborhood.
CS78
histag10 said:

Also, drive around. There are a lot of FRBO houses that aren't listed online, but have signs in the yard.
This is what I suggest. Call the number and be up front. If you can pay deposit, first months rent, and last two months rent before move in, you should have no problem finding some good options.
toolshed
AG
If the leasing agents/ landlords are using a prequalification service, his financial hit is likely showing up and they aren't getting a good enough score and the agent/ landlord is passing them by or denying them the rental, despite the ability to put down and larger amount.

OP likely needs someone that will Work with them beyond what the paperwork says to do.

We have one rental property in Bryan and looking at a multi family unit. We use an online service to prescreen renters for background checks and financial histories. I'm assuming this is the issue the OP is up against.
dubi
AG
906 Pershing has been vacant since January.

Close to campus and nice neighborhood.
histag10
AG
And comes in a grand over his preferred price. Its a really nice neighborhood though. I jog pershing and lee early mornings occasionally.
SteveBott
AG
Above are good suggestions. In general...

1. Drive the neighborhoods you want.
2. Look for owner made signs. Ignore the management signs.
3. Call owner direct and pitch your deal. Offer extra money as stated above.

Bottom line you got to work for it the hard way. Street to street.

My two kids did it this way and both found good options in days.
_lefraud_
AG
If you could do a 24 month lease, that might make you more attractive and/or they may come down on rent a bit.
dubi
AG
histag10 said:

And comes in a grand over his preferred price. Its a really nice neighborhood though. I jog pershing and lee early mornings occasionally.
Due to the current market, I think $1800 might be reasonable for a 3br home.

Plus some landlords would definitely prefer a family over college kids. I believe the last college aged tenants of that home were evicted/asked to vacate after they caused damage.

It doesn't hurt to ask!
histag10
AG
I get that, but even at 1800, thats the top end for OP. And thats if they would even vome down that low. Thats quite a hit in rent each month to take on a renter now, rather than wait a few months and get the full rent by august.

And its in a nice enough neighborhood close to campus. I wouldnt think it would have a problem renting at the listed rent
dubi
AG
histag10 said:

I get that, but even at 1800, thats the top end for OP. And thats if they would even vome down that low. Thats quite a hit in rent each month to take on a renter now, rather than wait a few months and get the full rent by august.

And its in a nice enough neighborhood close to campus. I wouldnt think it would have a problem renting at the listed rent
You would be shocked at how many vacants we have right now. As a landlord, I'd rather have a steady $1,800 from a family that might stay for a few years than have 4 college kids who turn over every year AND DON'T GIVE A *****

I accepted a lower rent on my rental to get a St Joe's resident and his family on a 3 year lease. They actually call me when there is a problem rather than waiting a month to see if it goes away.

Just my 2 cents.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.