Real Estate
Sponsored by

Selling a home and CAD tax value

864 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Diggity
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The plan is to sell our home next year. Each year I typically protest our tax value, however, I am curious if there is a more favorable perception from a price standpoint if the tax value is indeed higher than what I think it should be?

Should I protest or leave alone with the hope that it will in some small way it will get me a higher sales price and/or favorable appraisal? Thanks in advance!
Martin Q. Blank
Depends on your buyer.

If they are uneducated and they see the tax value is lower than the sales price, they'll think they are over paying.

If they are educated and they see the tax value is higher than the sales price, they'll know they are over paying on taxes.
Furlock Bones
AG
BoDog said:

The plan is to sell our home next year. Each year I typically protest our tax value, however, I am curious if there is a more favorable perception from a price standpoint if the tax value is indeed higher than what I think it should be?

Should I protest or leave alone with the hope that it will in some small way it will get me a higher sales price and/or favorable appraisal? Thanks in advance!
protest. that's actual money out of your pocket you pay to the gov. that is way more important than trying to arbitrarily determine a buyer's mindset.
TXTransplant
Just an FYI: If you decide to sell, the tax value will have zero bearing on the appraisal that the buyer's mortgage company orders. It will be based only on the recently sold comps (which is what your list price should be based on).

E
AG
Use a realtor to assess your sellable value or get comps in your area and do it yourself. Don't value your house as to what CAD values it as, the value of your house is what the general public will pay for it, not what an appraisal district taxes it at.

You might miss out on a bunch of money...
Diggity
AG
protest
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.