Real Estate
Sponsored by

Does the Title Company matter?

1,105 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SteveBott
Nutmegger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our realtor is having us use Southwest Title, who I couldn't find much info on. It's a foreclosure so I know title issues can arise, therefore I want to make sure we are making the right choice here. Apparently they are only $100 and the company we used last time was $250, and they are supposedly good with foreclosures. That was the reason the realtor gave. Anyone else have experience with them?
Martin Q. Blank
I thought they all cost the same. Premiums are set by the state.
Diggity
AG
I would think the listing agent would pick the title company in this case since it's REO.
DallasAggies01
AG
Premiums are set by the state and are calculated by purchase price. I would go with who your realtor suggests. They likely have used the company before and know they will be responsive to any questions or issues that arise.
Bitter Old Man
AG
It matters a little because some escrow agents have experience in certain transactions and some down. Eg: I wouldn't use a residential escrow officer to close a commercial deal. I would make sure the officer has foreclosure experience.

If your real estate agent has a lot of foreclosure experience, then they probably put you at a good title company. If they don't then they probably put you with the title company they usually use. That may not be a bad thing, but you should ask a few questions.
CS78
You don't normally have a choice on foreclosures.
SteveBott
AG
Just make sure it's not South Land title
jt2hunt
AG
Why?
SteveBott
AG
Terrible experience two weeks ago. Several Title cos in B/CS still work under 1980's service model. They think they have guaranteed market share. So they can demand more time to close over the major metros, who would go out of business if they tried to pull the stunts Brazos county companies do.

They demand two days to work a closing document. Then they want two days to draw docs. They will push closing out no problem and blame the lender because I did not meet a ridiculous 4 day lead.

Normally I can do all this in 2 days. That really counts when movers are in the driveway. 2 days cost real money sometimes.

So my last deal this title company not only pulled out the above stupid policy they left town on Thursday afternoon before Easter, took Good Friday off even though it's not an official holiday, and did not fund my loan closed Wednesday.

They funded Monday but there could of been very serious financial liability to all parties if something went wrong. Lightning strike anyone?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.