Real Estate
Sponsored by

Financing a barndominium

12,532 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Leander - Ag
SpillersEG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am 29 and building my first barndominium but I honestly don't know where to begin when it comes to financing. I have heard you can get a construction loan but you have to put 20% down, I don't know about you but I don't have $36,000 laying around. I know barndos are getting really popular, I'm just hoping for a better option. Any feedback is very helpful.
JamesBREI06
AG
Is this for an investment or primary residence?
Whoop!
Deats99
AG
Shoot me an email(profile). We have some options depending on your circumstances.
-Jeff
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
SpillersEG
This is a primary residence
jja79
AG
Using a builder or acting as GC yourself?
SpillersEG
Yes i will be using a builder
jja79
AG
Email on profile. I'd like to talk to you about this. We've got about 530 custom build jobs going now that we're providing financing for and probably 15 or 20 are barndominiums so it's something we do.
aggies12thman
AG
What is the price per sq/ft for a 3/2 barndominium these days with moderate upgrades (granite etc.)?

Is it close to a general home square footage? 100-150 per foot?
AgProgrammer
AG
It's hard to calculate when you have a shop rolled in with the dirt work/slab and metal building build out cost. We are finishing up building a barndo in CS with 1900 sq ft of living space, 3400 sq ft of shop, 900 sq ft of porches and 500 sq ft of concrete parking. We finished out the shop as well as the living space ourselves (electrical, plumbing, painting, trim work, window treatments, metal stairs, fixtures, cabinets). We contracted the living space framing, spray foam, sheetrock/texture, HVAC, septic and concrete sealing.

Best I've been able to calculate, we'll end up right around $75/sq ft for the living space and $35 sq. ft for the shop part. I'd say we did go "higher end" on a lot of the finishings just because we were doing it ourselves and saving the money on labor.
BCS AG 2012
AG
BCS AG 2012
AG
Who built it? I am looking into one myself.
PFG
AG
Question for Barndo lenders...

How does potential life span of the structure factor into this? I can't imagine the metal structure ages well as compared to a masonry home. Even on a siding built house, you can strip and re-plank the exterior skin. Can that be done with a metal structure?

Just wondering how these are going to look 20-30-40 years from now. Resale seems sketchy.
emtes
AG
I think resale is the general reason most lenders tend to steer away from barndominiums
Leander - Ag
AG
Looking to build a barndo outside Caldwell on 15 acres if anyone knows someone good in the area.....
giddings_ag_06
AG
Call Doug Gaeke with Gaeke Construction out of Giddings. Has a ton of experience with home construction and can at least give you an estimate or whatever you want.

Tell him Drew referred you.

979-542-8161 (cell)
Leander - Ag
AG
Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.