Real Estate
Sponsored by

Can I protest property tax for a friend?

1,137 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JJxvi
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got several friends who want to pay me to protest property taxes for them. Someone mentioned I have to be an "agent" to do this. Is that true? Seems like BS to me.
Diggity
AG
sure...same as hiring a company. I don't know if there are rules about registration if you're getting paid.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
aggiefan2002 said:

I've got several friends who want to pay me to protest property taxes for them. Someone mentioned I have to be an "agent" to do this. Is that true? Seems like BS to me.

Fan,

Per the Texas Property Tax Consultants Occupations Code, you generally have to register to do this, UNLESS:

Quote:

Sec. 1152.002. Exemptions from Registration
(a) A person is not required to be registered under this chapter if the person:
Quote:

(1) is acting under a general power of attorney, ;
(2) is licensed to practice law in this state;
(3) is an employee of a property owner or of an affiliated or subsidiary company of a property owner and performs property tax consulting services for:
Quote:

(A) the property owner; or
(B) a partnership, joint venture, or corporation in which the property owner owns an interest;
(4) is a lessee of a property owner and is designated as the agent of the owner in accordance with Section 1.111, Tax Code;
(5) is a public employee or officer and assists a property owner in the course of the employee's or officer's duties;
(6) is a certified public accountant under Chapter 901;
(7) assists another person in the performance of property tax consulting services or provides testimony on behalf of the other person at a protest hearing under Subchapter C, Chapter 41, Tax Code; or
(8) provides property tax consulting services only in connection with farms, ranches, or single-family residences and:
Quote:

(A) holds an active real estate broker license or an active real estate salesperson license under Chapter 1101; or
(B) is a licensed real estate appraiser or certified real estate appraiser under Chapter 1103.

Unless you are an attorney, CPA or one of the other things, it seems like you'd need to get a General Power of Attorney from your friends to do this, although I'm not sure of exactly how they interpret the phrase "unless the person represents that the person is a property tax consultant, agent, advisor, or representative".

Good luck if you go forward, even if you have to register. Sometimes dealing with the folks at the appraisal district can be very frustrating.

I've got some properties this year that are up 30%. What do you think the odds are that the taxing authorities will be reducing tax rates 30% in order to maintain revenues? We both know the answer to that, don't we?
aggiefan2002
I'm confused. So I can act on their behalf with a power of attorney as long as I don't call myself a tax consultant?
aggiefan2002
Anybody?
JJxvi
AG
Pretty sure you only have to be licensed to provide the service if you receive compensation to do so.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.