Real Estate
Sponsored by

Somewhat of a flipping question.

777 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
johnrth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My parents are selling a house to my wife and I, but we don't want to stay in this house for more than a couple years but it needs some updating. My mom has owned this house since it was built in 81 and did some updating around 2001. She's selling it to us for under the county appraised price which is great. Looking at homes in the neighborhood that have sold in the past yr or so, the sale prices range from $160-$220 depending on remodels or updates. My question is, if you were going to flip it and try to get as much out of the home as possible, would you replace all the windows? The flooring needs replacing and the exterior and interior needs panted, and maybe redo the bathroom cabinets and counter tops. I'd like to replace the windows as they are the original single pane but dropping probably $10k on it doesn't feel to be to beneficial since buyers in the neighborhood seem to be investors looking to rent.

Oh edit to add, half of the driveway is really cracked and shifted up and down due to roots and a giant roll off dumpster from the 2001 remodel. Would you also pay to have the driveway repoured?
Martin Q. Blank
Talk to a couple local realtors.
p_bubel
Quote:

would you replace all the windows?
No.

Paint, replace flooring for sure.

Counters and maybe appliances. I would not replace cabinets.

Quote:

Would you also pay to have the driveway repoured?
No. Leave it be or do some minor patch work.
Copp
Best answer is look at your comps. Look at the houses that have sold at the highest price in the neighborhood. If they have new windows, it may be necessary to achieve the peak of the neighborhood price.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Don't touch windows or driveway
Flooring and paint will go along way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.