Real Estate
Sponsored by

No bathtub in master?

5,192 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by histag10
jet99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for some advice on a home remodel. We are renovating our master bath and are considering removing the bathtub completely. Neither my wife or I take baths so we personally won't mind and would enjoy the space for a killer dual shower and open area. However, I don't want to put a lot of money in a remodel that doesn't add value in the house or would make it unappealing to potential buyers. We have no plans to move anytime soon but know that there is a decent likelihood we eventually move for work or to upgrade.

What are your thoughts on a tubless master bathroom? Are we taking away value?
toolshed
AG
We perform plenty of remodels where we remove a tub and do a large walk in shower. I think he appeal of the large spa type shower offsets the lack of a tub. I think the perspective buyers are probably 50/50 wanting a tub or not wanting a tub. A lot of the homeowners we deal with simply don't use the tub enough to justify keeping it.

Now my wife on the other hand...we will have to have a large soaking tub whenever we build our dream house. And a walk in spa shower!!
Ken Adams
AG
Asking ourselves the same question right now. We're leaning towards taking it out. I think really nailing a good dual shower or something like that makes up for not having a tub.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Enjoyment of the space now > estimated value at some future date that can be impacted by a million other things

(Within reason of course)
TXTransplant
I'm a sucker for a big spa shower. Ideally, I'd like a tub, too. But if the size of the space is such that keeping the tub means that the shower will be small (or even standard sized), I'd rather have the big, nice shower.

Really make it luxury, though. Extra shower heads, all tile (no fiberglass pan), and no door, if you can make that work.
JaneDoe02
AG
I wouldn't buy a house without a master bathtub. I'm probably in the minority, but you're excluding a certain percentage of buyers.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Mostly fine as long as you have a decent alternative tub in another bathroom (preferably on the same floor).
Know1
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Mostly fine as long as you have a decent alternative tub in another bathroom (preferably on the same floor).
Agreed. There's a certain percentage of folks that wouldn't consider it, but not enough in my opinion for you to skip making a change you'll enjoy. There's also going to be a group of folks just like you that will probably appreciate it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gonna want to make sure to build some sort of seat into this mondo shower so your wife can easily shave her legs and not turn into sasquatch, since the bath or at least sitting on the side of the bath is a common location for that kinda thing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
What is a bigger bathroom "turn-off" for us is a nice shower space ruined with a ****ty ass rain showerhead. Nothing like low flow drizzle from above to screw up the shower experience. I want a traditional head capable of putting out a ****load of volume at high pressure, along with a separate detachable head (preferably on a verticle bar so it can be adjusted by height or detached).
Oogway
Personally, a house w/o a master bath doesn't bother me. But, I agree with the other posters who suggest including some type of seating etc in a larger shower.

If the house is not large (#of sq ft, # of bedrooms) then having seating, grab bars and other features along those lines can appeal to a wider range of buyers (since empty nesters aren't as likely to buy a large large house. Just my opinion and that opinion is definitely market dependent.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've recently seen a builder in DFW that makes the bathtub an optional upgrade. They claim to strive to build homes in a manner/layout that people actually use them, therefore they've stopped making a master bath tub the default.
n_touch
Makes sense. We are about to do the same in the master bath. The other bathroom will still have a tib if the next owners need it. For us a nice shower with bench is more to our liking.
pdawg10384
AG
Design it so that next owner can easily add a tub if they want one. Run the plumbing lines, etc. This style is pretty popular these days:

https://goo.gl/images/TL3qdF
Absolute
AG
I am seeing more of this. As with any change against the perceived normal, you may limit your future perspective buyer pool (my lovely wife would never consider your house.)

I would say two things are really important.

1. Need a tub In the house (as said) preferably on the same floor.

2. If you do this, the resulting shower needs to be particularly kick ass, or don't bother.

Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
I like a rain shower head...in combination with the separate fire hose type shower head you mentioned.
TombstoneTex
AG
Built my home without a master tub, we do have a tub in the guest bathroom. So I'll echo what others have said about needing a tub somewhere on the floor since they come in handy for kids and pets!
Caliber
AG
It was a no brainer for us to remove the tub. 1970 house has a small master, which we actually did expand a bit. The option was a tub shower or a kick ass two person shower. There wasn't room for a tub and a shower in the layout without significant sacrifice elsewhere. We decided to go with a teak seat in our instead of something permanent, We like the usability better that way. Seat has been in the shower for several years now with no issues with only minimally upkeep for the wood.

We don't have plans to move anytime soon (ever if we can swing it), so that made it easy not to think about buyers. You'll lose some people, but I think most people will be ok with it. We have tub in the guest bath for kids.
Phat32
AG
As long as you have a bath on the same floor for kids, you're going to be fine IMO.

Is anyone not going to buy a great house because there's no tub in the master?
Post removed:
by user
88jrt06
AG
Why do y'all love ice showers?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Just bought a home with an oversize shower with 7 heads and a bench. Plenty of room for shower beer that doesn't get sprayed on. No downstairs tub.

Now if only work would let me be home to use it.
Mmetag10
AG
Just to be honest. If it doesnt have a bath tub in it my wife is going to turn around and walk out. Now we have bought enough and remodeled enough we know it can be fixed but if you take out the tub you are going to lose some people instantly.
Phat32
AG
Mmetag10 said:

Just to be honest. If it doesnt have a bath tub in it my wife is going to turn around and walk out. Now we have bought enough and remodeled enough we know it can be fixed but if you take out the tub you are going to lose some people instantly.
A tub in the master bath or just a tub in the house?
JaneDoe02
AG
A tub on the same floor is not going to cut it for me.

I'm not buying a house without a master bath tub.

I don't want to use the one down the hall.

Obviously, I'm in the minority, but you exclude a certain percentage of potential buyers if you don't have a master tub.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Obviously, I'm in the minority, but you exclude a certain percentage of potential buyers if you don't have a master tub.
I don't think you're the minority on this issue at all.
Mmetag10
AG
A tub in the master. We looked at one that had a tub across the hall and she vetoed it. Who wants to have to get dressed if theirs company or your kids to go next door and take a bath.
GoneGirl
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

I don't think you're the minority on this issue at all.
I don't either. I wouldn't buy a house without a tub in the master either, and not just a tub, but a big, jetted, deep tub. I shower during the week but take a long soak at least once a week.

Now, I'd love to have both - a big tub and a big shower.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
GoneGirl
AG
But I'd take this as a compromise...

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Diggity
AG
I think some of you all aren't realizing that the tubs most of us are talking about are tiny little bathtubs, or even tub/shower combos.

While those might be OK for bathing the kiddos, no grown-ups are using these for a relaxing soak.

Most people that end up remodeling ranch houses decide the space is better suited for a larger shower than a bad tub and a bad shower.

TombstoneTex
AG
Diggity said:

Most people that end up remodeling ranch houses decide the space is better suited for a larger shower than a bad tub and a bad shower.

This 100% was my reasoning. Plus would have had to remove the linen closet to make room for a bad shower + bad tub.
Caliber
AG
RThorp said:

Diggity said:

This 100% was my reasoning. Plus would have had to remove the linen closet to make room for a bad shower + bad tub.
Another one here. We have a 1970 ranch that had a tiny original master . Even after moving one wall, there still just isn't enough space for a nice tub and a decent size shower. So it was either a tub/shower combo, small tub/small shower or just making a really nice, spa-like shower. I'd be willing to put money down that I would attract more buyers than I'd lose by putting in the really nice shower.

Actually, I did put money down because that is exactly what we did with our remodel.
62strat
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

The bench in the shower has another key purpose not being mentioned.
Wife needs a place to put her hands for one, among other uses still.
GoneGirl
AG
Diggity said:

I think some of you all aren't realizing that the tubs most of us are talking about are tiny little bathtubs, or even tub/shower combos.

While those might be OK for bathing the kiddos, no grown-ups are using these for a relaxing soak.

Well that's fair. That's not the market I'll ever be looking for, so don't listen to me.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.