Real Estate
Sponsored by

Investment properties in BCS

2,436 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CS78
awschux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who all on here owns a property in BCS that they use primarily as an investment property?

If So...

Do you rent to students full time OR do you Airbnb is for game days, graduations, etc.?
Oogway
If the property is in CS city limits, then bnb rental is restricted (unless that changed, you might want to call and find out). There are people who risk the fines, etc, but more people do the gameday rental in Bryan where the code is more lax.

scrap
AG
I have two duplexes and 1 four plex in Bryan. I rent to a variety of different types of renters. Vet school, grad students, and single moms trying to make it. My rents vary from 950 for a 3/2 to 750 for a 2/1. I haven't done short term rentals. So far renting out units have not been an issues, but I can see it takes longer to find renters than it did 5 years ago for sure. I live in Austin, so it is a little more frustrating as I do all property management but it seems to work out year after year. I do my best to get tenants for multiple years.
awschux
AG
Thanks for sharing, that is interesting. Ive heard that duplexes are the better bet for investment properties! Aside from getting tenants to occupy each property, what are the main/recurring challenges you see in managing each property?
scrap
AG
awschux said:

Thanks for sharing, that is interesting. Ive heard that duplexes are the better bet for investment properties! Aside from getting tenants to occupy each property, what are the main/recurring challenges you see in managing each property?
As far as management goes there is not a lot of difference from that of managing a single family home. In some respects it might even have advantages over SFR in that when you have an opening the other side sees it and they might have friends or a referral to you since they may know the layout and have friends looking. If your managing students, challenges can arise when I have 3 students in a three bedroom. Occasionally you will have a student not getting along with the other two and want to move out early. That is why I much prefer a 2 bedroom over a 3 bedroom especially in a college town. In fact, I live in Austin and have many properties throughout the Austin metroplex and I would rather have 2 bedrooms over 3 for ease of management. Tenants tend to push the envelope with people occupying the home. 3 bedrooms invite too many people for the property and therefore it is better for me to have as few people as possible occupying the property.

Bottom line is keep your properties in top shape, better than your neighbor's and take the extra effort to find the best quality tenants possible. Be attentive to maintenance request, treat your tenants with dignity even when they themselves could be better and you'll find it easier to manage the property. I will say of all my locations Bryan/College Station is becoming more challenging to find the quality tenants because of the over built student housing situation. I am starting to see more non-students in my properties than before.
jmazz
AG
Howdy. Live, work and invest in B/CS. My rentals are currently in what I consider the 'Northgate' area so, by default, mostly get student tenants. But rent is rent so I'd be happy with occupancy over vacancy. Last summer one of my 'Ag Shacks' didn't get leased by a group of students so I ended up taking a 4 month 'game day' lease at 1/3 the rate of normal rent. House went vacant again in January and ended up getting another 4 (or maybe 5) month lease that started this month...also at 1/3 of normal rent. But something is better than nothing. Subject house is pre-leased for August by a group of students.
awschux
AG
Im actually using a property manager at my property right now. She is a student at A&M now and I typically have her schedule make readies, maintenance, lawn care, repairs, deliveries, collect payment, and generally be a resource to the tenants as well as my eyes an ears.

She will send me prospective tenants which is especially helpful during summer months. Charges $75 per door which I think is pretty fair. Since I don't live in College Station its been really helpful.

Is this a standard scope of work and monthly fee based on yall's experience?
Aggieangler93
AG
I used to do the same here in the Austin area for $100 a month. So $75 sounds like you are getting a good deal as long as she is conscientious about it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
h_elise23
Do you think vision 2020 will bring in more business and renters? We're looking into an investment property in the BCS area. It's already exploded so much since I graduated in 2010
CS78
h_elise23 said:

Do you think vision 2020 will bring in more business and renters? We're looking into an investment property in the BCS area. It's already exploded so much since I graduated in 2010
Ive said it before but I wouldn't own here if I didn't live here. Rents just aren't keeping up with values. I've pretty much stopped leveraging existing equity in to new properties and am just letting things ride. Only adding a property when I come across the right house at the right time of year. Even with a good buy, where you grab a bunch of equity, the rental numbers still look questionable. Add in the future risk of the apartment overbuilding and there's got to be better investments in other locations. Hate to say it but the time to have been buying here really peaked about two to three years ago.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.