Real Estate
Sponsored by

Landlord wanting to do renovation

1,254 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dubi
Cojo23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently renting a house while I'm having one built. I moved in 6 months ago and have 6 months left on the lease. Landlord said he would like to do some renovations which would make the house unlivable for a week. He has offered to get a hotel for me and my family but that will be an uncomfortable situation for us all specially since we have a Great Dane that would have to come with us.

Can anyone tell me what Texas law says on a situation like this? I know he doesn't want to wait until we are out in 6 months but I'm not sure what my rights are as a good standing tenant. Seems that a landlord wouldn't be able to force someone out (even for just a week) to do something unless it was an unlivable situation that occurred. Just figured I'd see if anyone had any insight they can lend me.
OnlyForNow
AG
Does put you in a bad spot, but maybe work a deal out with him and take a week of vacation in the spring and get a airBnB or something NOT a hotel but more like a rent house for a week
JT05
AG
I would ask for a similar style rental as mentioned (airbnb), plus some amount of discount off the next months rent for inconvenience . Having to temporarily move somewhere is a complete pain in the ass and you deserve something beyond him just finding you a place to live for the time being.
dubi
AG
Once week vacation at a location of your choosing with accommodations that will accept your dog. It is a win/win for you both.

Martin Q. Blank
Can you write off a vacation for your tenants?
dubi
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Can you write off a vacation for your tenants?
I bet you can write it off as "temporary accommodations for renovations".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.