Real Estate
Sponsored by

Moving checklist

1,137 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Señor Chang
RMC91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dallasiteinsa02
I wouldn't cancel insurance until you are completely out and in the new house. They can go back and do it to whatever date you pick as long as it is pretty recent. I have seen two situations that caused issues.

1. Stuff was lost or stolen in transit. They were switching insurance and they left a day gap between policies to save money.
2. Closing was delayed a week and hurricane Harvey hit. They had already scheduled to cancel their insurance and of course the carrier was unwilling to fix it.
Bill Robbins
AG
Here is my checklist.
histag10
AG
is this a local/in state move, or a long distance move?

Edit to add- Update all online services to new billing and shipping address. It sucks when your Amazon order ships to a house you no longer live in.
RMC91
AG
histag10
AG
update auto insurance to new address asap. Its possible your premium will be lower in BCS than in Houston.
schedule utilities/cable/internet setup dates and times for new house if not already on
Change address on checks (a lot of people seem to forget this one)
If gym member- move membership
update address with health insurance- sometimes employers forget to do this (or if changing employers they tend to just NOT do it)
Have medical records sent to new doctors office, or physically get a copy of them (had our sent 3 months ago, and only half have been uploaded to BSW)
Detail serial numbers of all valuable property that will be moved. That way you have it if something goes wrong during the move
Pack all necessities for first week into personal vehicles or first box out of truck(even if you have a moving service, you at least know where this stuff is when you need it)

And congrats on moving back to College Station area. The traffic is horrible now and students suck at driving
RMC91
AG
Señor Chang
AG
I'd file a change of address form with the post office just to be safe. I think you do it online now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.