Real Estate
Sponsored by

Barndo, SIP, or good old fashioned house?

1,434 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tgivaughn
sparky75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought 3/4 acre in Cedar Park, TX with city electric and water/sewer. Building restrictions call for a primary residence over 1,100 sq feet and an allowable secondary home that is a smaller structure at a sliding percentage of sq ft of the primary residence that I saw as a potential income producing upside.

Here is the SIP I was originally considering. I'm an empty nester with a son graduating from Tarleton State in May and a daughter who is a sophomore at A&M. I loved this split floor plan with covered patio that gave me options to only live in one side, give privacy to my college aged kids when they came home, and potentially rent out the separate 2 bedrooms and bath on the left via Airbnb.

To get that SIP http://www.greencabinkits.com/prefab-cabin.htm from Kerrville, I was looking at 35k plus shipping via 2 eighteen wheelers. Then I wondered if I wanted more sq footage ultimately then about 1,500 sq feet. Then I started leaning towards the barndo...

My lot is 100 feet wide and 300 feet deep roughly. Since I liked the floor plan, I hired an architect to draw something to that effect that had about 2,000 sq feet. But it doesn't look like a barn, and the garage is a 3 car detached side entry behind the house that is perpendicular to rectangular barndo (steel building).

Is the barndo more cost effective? Or do I go back to a SIP? Or do I just build a good old fashioned house?

tgivaughn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The barno attracts the cheap and its allure is the huge SF.
How it gets to be so cheap is covertly going to cost more in the long run, e.g.
Navasota bankers are saying they will no longer make loans on such unless a registered architect or engineer design the foundation! That speaks volumes on what we in the biz have known for years .... volatile clay soils supporting cheap thin slabs where tractors & farm equipment care not about cracking up, allowing bugs in and slowly rusting reinforcing away is not fine living ... upgrade this and the other barn elements to serve as well as a house ... might be better off with a house tailored to your lifestyle or fewer SQ = fewer $$$$$$, of course!

What popular today is soon found out until a new generation comes along.
Front loading washer disappeared dues to leaks, then top loaders, now front again
Sears catalogs made a mint, now Amazon

Feel free to contact me gratis
IMHO and am sticking to it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.