Real Estate
Sponsored by

Help - Patio affect on drainage

1,158 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mgreen
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I need some help or advise. My neighbors are building a pool and extending their patio right up to 1 ft. from our shared fence. We are in a new community that puts about 12 feet between foundations that is sloped into a V with a french drain down the middle.

My worry is that with the new patio being 1 ft. from the fence line and being the same height as my foundation, this will cause more water to backup onto my property. Should I be worried that this could have a major impact to my property or not? During really bad rains, it normally backs up about 1 ft on each side, but now they have built basically a dam on their property and now much less permeable soil to help absorb the rain.

My thought is they may need to add a secondary french drain on their property to help with runoff from their property since I don't think the one we have now can even handle a big rain.

https://imgur.com/a/hRon1
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
toolshed
AG
It looks like they are going to have a couple issues to contend with.

Yes, if it slopes to the back, their decking is going to push more water to your yard. A drain may help, but only if the outlet is lower/ low enough to allow the water to flow out quickly.

I'd be more concerned if I were them, of the end result when the forms are removed. Concrete floating on top of some fill is a long term issue waiting to happen. The edge of the patio should have been dug out to form a beam down into the existing soil. As it is now, it will likely be undermined by the draining water and begin to settle pretty quickly. But that's his issue and not yours.

I don't see a good solution to the drainage based on the pictures provided. Someone should have planned ahead before the forms, dirt and rebar were installed. But that would require forethought and most of these guys are more concerned about getting in and out as quick as possible.
The Fife
Is this work permitted (and does it need to be)? The first thing that comes to mind when I look at the pictures is setback rules unless patios don't count as improvements.
hurricanejake02
AG
My first thought was that they are likely building a concrete patio on a utility easement, given the location of the box in the corner of their yard.
DeBoss
AG
So my main concern in drainage into my yard and if I need to take any steps against them. Could care less if their stupid patio crumbles.
The Fife
DeBoss said:

So my main concern in drainage into my yard and if I need to take any steps against them. Could care less if their stupid patio crumbles.
If they're building on an easement or too close to a lot line that could be exactly the avenue you need to take care of the patio and therefore any drainage problems.
DallasAggie0
What city? Look up the zoning ordinances
Bassmaster
AG
Do you have an HOA? They likely have the setback rules in the covenants. I can't imagine that they have not violated any setback rules from what I can see of your neighborhood in the pics.
DeBoss
AG
So I get the paths to get them to change but do I need to? Would y'all be worried about drainage into your property and any lasting damage?
Bassmaster
AG
I'm not a confrontational guy, but I think this is a battle that I would fight assuming that they are violating setback requirements. Even if there are no such setback requirements, I would at least talk to them in an effort to consider drainage issues. At some point, your property is going to be adversely affected because the decking is so close to your slab. Whether the problem surfaces after 5 inches of rain or 25 inches of rain, who knows? But now is the time to address it.
helloag99
I bet that there is a drainage easement between the houses. Might be something like 5' on each side of the property line to the street. Look at your survey.
DallasAggie0
If the lots are already sloping inwards and you already have drainage issues... yea I'd be concerned.
agdx88
AG
If the water does not pool in your yard today, it should not pool in your yard with this change. Assuming the water drains to the front street and your backyard does not become a pond this patio should have little impact on that.

You might want to make sure that when they repair they side yard that they do not build it up and create high spot which prevents proper drainage from the back yard.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Do you have an HOA? They likely have the setback rules in the covenants.

Here is what mine says, regarding outdoor decks:

Quote:

The deck's location must comply with Article 4.06 of the Declaration which states that no part of any building shall be located on any Lot nearer than five (5) feet to any Lot line or nearer to any Street Lot Line than the Building Line.
Bassmaster
AG
I was extending my patio at my old house and it encroached on the setback. It was 6 feet. I had to redraw my plans even though that side of my property was bordered by a 5 acre neighborhood park.
mgreen
No way that is legal to get that close to your fence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.