Real Estate
Sponsored by

Home Warranty

1,275 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Fife
BCS AG 2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently have Fidelity National on my duplex. It cost $960 a year to cover pretty much everything including both fridges and both washer and dryers.

Who do yall have and what your thoughts and experiences?

Kenneth_2003
AG
You're going to find that most on the home improvement board hate them with a passion. Just remember they're in business to make money. They do that by using the lowest cost (too them) contractors and resisting as long as possible too replace. When they do finally replace an item, frequently after you've paid multiple service calls, you get no say in the replacement.
The Fife
BCS AG 2012 said:

I currently have Fidelity National on my duplex. It cost $960 a year to cover pretty much everything including both fridges and both washer and dryers.

Who do yall have and what your thoughts and experiences?

A bank account. It's worked great for everything since 2004.
rlb28
AG
First American Home Warranty. Pay $840/year

Have turned in claims and received all the money for:
1. Cooktop
2. Dishwahser
3. Sewer/drain cleanout

Have had to fight with them and didn't receive money for:
1. Pool pump

Received money, but only partial:
1. A/C unit

We live 45 minutes from Houston and it's really, really had to get them to schedule a service call. Usually they schedule us for 1 or 2 weeks out and it's not cool.
DadAG10
Kenneth_2003 said:

Just remember they're in business to make money.
This always cracks me up.

Can you provide a list of all the businesses that aren't in business to make money?
The Fife
DadAG10 said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

Just remember they're in business to make money.
This always cracks me up.

Can you provide a list of all the businesses that aren't in business to make money?

The federal government.
DadAG10
Is that a business?
CapCity12thMan
AG
just read the fine print. I used mine when we moved into our latest house for some electrical work, a dishwasher problem (only got money to repair the part, not the whole thing which is what needed to be done anyway), and some plumbing. A/C had a couple of filed parts on it that we got fixed under it. BUT - the rules around the larger items are a bit tighter and sometimes they cap the amount paid too, depending on what it is. One example - we have a grinder pump and less than two months after moving in - it fried. It was not covered by home warranty because it fell under some other category that I had to pay additional as premium (which I didn't). Even if I had, the cap on it was like $500 which is literally nothing for a $5K replacement. Another example - I had to pay an additional $25 for garage door coverage, which I didn't, because I thought the warranty was everything...just read every line so you can be sure you know what you are getting.
aggieswmr04
I have used:
Old Republic
American Home Shield
First American
One Guard

By far the most service oriented, friendly and easy to use: One Guard. Then Old Republic.

First American was the worst. We needed to get our A/C replaced after being out for 6 weeks in the middle of summer and it was a fight the entire time ending with me threatening to get lawyers involved. AHS was always difficult to work with and didn't cover much.

We usually only kept them for the first year after a purchase when buyer pays for it. As another poster mentioned read the fine print.
Diggity
AG
It's a good point though.

People that expect a 450 dollar policy to replace a 20 year old AC aren't being realistic. The math just doesn't work.

They can be handy for certain things. I never renew after the first year though. I like to have control over who works on my house.
The Fife
DadAG10 said:

Is that a business?
Depends on who's in office!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.