Real Estate
Sponsored by

how to finance a fixer-upper

1,238 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jay@AgsReward.com
Tatem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i found a fixer-upper house

how do you finance the renovations? we can't afford the reno out of pocket until we sell our current home

i apologize if this has been asked before
jja79
AG
What's the purchase price? What's the cost of renovation? What's the anticipated value upon completion?
Tatem
$85,000-purchase

i would have to check with my spouse on reno cost....maybe $50,000 (at most). we are just thinking. ...
we've renovated before but always done it while living there and paid for it out of pocket and never had 2 house payments

value would be around $230,000
jja79
AG
I take it you have another home you'll be selling? If so how much equity do you have in that? Will this be your primary residence ?
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
There is a conventional product with very good 30 year fixed rates called a Fannie Mae Homestyle. You can borrow up to 95% of the "improved value" based on your plans etc (assuming owner occupied, up to 80% if an investment property) although it does not seem you would need to go nearly that high based on your numbers. It is a good product because it is conventional which gives you access to low 30 year fixed type rates.

More on it here from our site: https://hurstlending.com/homestyle-renovation-loan/
redkey
Why not just take a heloc out of your current home?
jmazz
AG
Would this be an investment property or owner occupied?

If investment...www.TexasInvestorFinancing.com.
AgFromTN
AG
Jay- Does that loan still have the standard borrowing limits of a regular conventional loan? If used as a refi for reno/addition with approved plans, does money go to lendee or contractor per actuals? TIA
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Yes, the max loan is the conventional limit in your county. In Texas, that is 424,100. The funds are held in escrow and paid out to the contractor in the form of draws.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.