Real Estate
Sponsored by

Converting a 4 car garage to living space?

1,448 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Civen
agdx88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 4 car tandem attached garage (2 x 2). I'd like to convert 2 bays to living space and end up with a typical 2 car garage. Most all the homes in my neighborhood are either 3 or 4 car.

Tandem is useless for parking cars, but great for storage.

While the living space will add value, would that offset the negatives of smaller garage and loss of potential buyers?

Since the house is in the county and does not require permits, the appraisal district will not have the increased square footage. Typically listing rely on CAD square footage the 400 SF may not show up in the listing, and could skew the $/SF and scare off buyers,

Thoughts?
Not sure if you'll use it for bedrooms or what, but I know a guy who owns an A/C shop. He said you can never really get the A/C right in converted garage rooms like this unless it was set up to be air conditioned in the first place. You can get "meh" results, but not good.
SteveBott
AG
To maximize value you need to completely integrate the space into your home. so connect AC, electrical, plumbing if used into the house and then replace the garage doors with something that matches the exterior of the house. Otherwise an appraiser just values the space as garage plus a little.

As said above the AC can be problematic.
JB
AG
I don't think I've ever seen a garage conversion that looks right.

Tandem would be a little different I suppose. Is there a step down into the garage area?
aggie appraiser
agdx88 said:

While the living space will add value, would that offset the negatives of smaller garage and loss of potential buyers?

Since the house is in the county and does not require permits, the appraisal district will not have the increased square footage. Typically listing rely on CAD square footage the 400 SF may not show up in the listing, and could skew the $/SF and scare off buyers,

Thoughts?

The garage will lose some value, but the added living area should add more value if you convert it to the same standard as the rest of the home. You are going to be left with 2 bays, so I wouldn't worry about an excessive negative reaction whenever you decide to sell. Since you aren't changing the perimeter of the house, it will be hard to notice if you do a good job with the conversion. Keep in mind that your garage should prevent exhaust from getting into the house. Make sure your converted space isn't open to exhaust from your vehicles.

Don't worry about the appraisal district. It's their responsibility to have correct numbers. If you do a refi to pay for the conversion or if you get an appraisal for a refi in the future, save the appraiser's sketch/appraisal and give it to your realtor when you decide to sell. They can modify the gross living area based on the earlier appraisal. If you don't get a refi between then and when you decide to sell, you can hire an appraiser to measure the house. I charge about $100 to $150 on a basic sketch. If you have a large house, it could be more.

The difference in what the county has and what you list (gross living area) is easily explained with the garage conversion. It's not something I would lose sleep over. If you are being honest and upfront about everything you shouldn't have a problem. If the buyers don't trust your number, tell them to hire an appraiser to verify it or they can put a comment in the contract giving them an out of you are significantly misrepresenting the GLA.
The Fife
SteveBott said:

To maximize value you need to completely integrate the space into your home. so connect AC, electrical, plumbing if used into the house and then replace the garage doors with something that matches the exterior of the house. Otherwise an appraiser just values the space as garage plus a little.

As said above the AC can be problematic.
This. I've seen exactly two garage conversions that weren't obvious, but one them was a 5-sided room that was hard to imagine as a garage to begin with. Since it's in tandem it seems more doable than most. In addition to what was said I'd look into adding at least a window so the room doesn't become some kind of dark cave.

What about garage access though? Wouldn't utility of the room suffer a bit if you have to walk through it all the time to get to the garage?
Civen
AG
The old standard of 'you don't want your house to be the biggest or the smallest on the block' seems like it would apply to garages too. If yours is the only 2-car in a neighborhood of 3-4, that could be a detractor.

I really wish that I had the extra storage space that a tandem garage offered.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.