Real Estate
Sponsored by

selling a house with an existing pool question

1,603 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JT05
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are juts starting to prep our 15 year old house for sale next year. It has the usual 15 year old house issues, paint, trim, wear n tear that one would expect and we are going to spiff all of that up.
We also have a15 year old pool with the usual 15 year old issues. It will soon need a new plaster job, has wear n tear, everything works but the equipment is old and near the end of its normal life...BUT still works.

We have never bought or sold a house with a pool. Do most homes with pools sell the pool AS-IS or are you expected to do the typical repairs , fluffs you would don a house ? I am NOT going to spend $8,000 to replaster only to sell the thing and I would think that the new owner would want to pick his own plaster finish. I'malso not going to spend $600 on a new Zodiak just because mine is almost worn out ( but still kinda works) . The remote needs upgrade ...on and on...I would really like to sell AS-IS especially since the value of pool is never reflected in the asking price. Several realtors tell me that there is very little add on for a house with a pool vs the same house without .

What say y'all ??
histag10
AG
It will likely depend on the price range you plan on listing in, the type of seller you are likely to get in the area, and what your local market is like.
dallasiteinsa02
I have sold a house with a pool. I would recommend doing all of that on the backend. If you are going to spend any money, get a variable speed pump. For about $1000 dollars, you can at least act like you have been keeping up with upgrading equipment.
The Original AG 76
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

I have sold a house with a pool. I would recommend doing all of that on the backend. If you are going to spend any money, get a variable speed pump. For about $1000 dollars, you can at least act like you have been keeping up with upgrading equipment.
you would replace a working pump in a pool you will sell just to have a variable speed ? the existing stuff all works just old. My pumps are less than 6-7 years old.
CS78
If the pool looks good and everything works, I wouldn't spend a dime on it. Save that money for when the buyers try to screw you on the inspection and be willing to pass it to them then. They'll feel like they're getting something.
DadAG10
CS78 said:

If the pool looks good and everything works, I wouldn't spend a dime on it. Save that money for when the buyers try to screw you on the inspection and be willing to pass it to them then. They'll feel like they're getting something.
Curious as to why some think that every transaction has to have someone trying to screw the other.

SoTheySay
S
My easiest deal of the year involved a major pool repair...

Anyway, I think people think pool repairs are way more expensive than they are and could be a turnoff up front. I don't own a pool so I could be wrong but when I showed a home with a pool last week the "likely needed repairs" the buyer commented on got expensive in his head really quick. (Though I will say in this case I'm not sure he was wrong.)
Matsui
AG
SOld a house with a 30 year old pool. Just make sure everything works. Put some furniture Around it etc. don't do anything major.
aggiepaintrain
AG
DadAG10 said:

CS78 said:

Curious as to why some think that every transaction has to have someone trying to screw the other.

It's cause REALTORS
Sean Mercer
aggiepaintrain said:

DadAG10 said:

CS78 said:

It's cause INDIANS
FIFY
sts7049
AG
i would just make sure it's clean and functional. maybe you could find a new robot cleaner for cheaper, or at least put new hoses on it if they're yellowed.
JT05
AG
I have been searching recently and went under contract on a house about as old as yours and it had a pool and hot tub. Pool needed to be replastered and all the equipment was really old. Pool heater didn't work. I didn't care about the plaster or the functioning equipment being old. I did ask for a new heater. Now the roof on the house needed replacing too (very bad shape). I asked for roof replacement and a pool heater replacement, since it wasn't working. I didn't want to walk in $15-$20k cash out of pocket up front (got multiple roof and pool heater quotes). Anyway, ultimately he wouldn't replace either and the deal fell through. I drove by a few weeks later and there were roofers replacing the roof, so I think he realized it was inevitable. Anyways, long story to say if your house is in good shape overall, and the pool equipment is functioning, you should be fine. Don't spend any money on working equipment. Worst case you save those bullets for inspection negotiation as mentioned above. I think most people just verify it is working and will worry about replacing it down the road.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.