Real Estate
Sponsored by

Barndominium in North Texas

2,887 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggie appraiser
aggieturf04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and I are in the process of buying a couple of acres in Aubrey. Looking to build a barndominium type house. Looking for any recommendations for a builder? Any Ags build this type of home?
Shooter McGavin
AG
Good luck with that loan
jja79
AG
Why do you say That?

As long as there are some comps it's not a problem for qualified borrowers.
SteveBott
AG
And the problem is...

Wait for it...

Comps.

They are mostly built privately and no record on the MLS.
jja79
AG
Guess I've been lucky. Haven't had any appraisal, comp sales issues in our area.
SteveBott
AG
Agreed on area is crucial since they are a growing market especially houston metro
aggie appraiser
I've done several, but never new construction. It's much easier to find comps once you figure out how to search them. Still, they are usually spread out much farther than ideal.
SteveBott
AG
And the vast majority of regular appraisers don't know how to find them. Since my loans are strictly AMC I cant select a quality appraiser and it's luck of the draw
jja79
AG
The majority of barndominiums we finance are new construction on a one time close which we put on the bank's balance sheet. That allows some underwriting flexibility but there must be reasonable comps.
SteveBott
AG
Can you use internal comps?
jja79
AG
No. They have to be sales.
jja79
AG
I just went back and reviewed the appraisal from the last barnodominium I closed. Our process begins with review of the plans, specs, etc by our construction lending manager. In this particular case the front of the building will have a stone facade to give it a more residential look. The comps used were not really barndominiums but the appraiser did reach a value conclusion.
aggie appraiser
SteveBott said:

And the vast majority of regular appraisers don't know how to find them. Since my loans are strictly AMC I cant select a quality appraiser and it's luck of the draw

Make clear in the order that it is a metal building and many will decline the order up front and you have a better shot at finding someone who has some experience with them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.