Real Estate
Sponsored by

Cross Country move advice with listed home- What all do I need to do?

694 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by histag10
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are moving back to College Station this weekend, and I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of.

Lenders- Do I need to inform my servicer that we are moving and listing the house for sale?

Insurance- I spoke with my homeowners, and they basically told me that unless it's unoccupied for 6+ months, they dont really care, and my policy will continue to cover it. This seems odd to me, because I thought I was going to have to pick up a vacant house policy. They suggested that if I go beyond 6 months, I would need a rental policy for it. Also- any suggestions on renters policy? We will be renting for the time being. Thinking about bundling with Progressive with my auto.

Utilities- I'm told I can cut my water, but need to leave my electric on. What is the consensus? Should I cut water? Half the state has a winter weather advisory for this weekend, so I'm expecting a hard winter here. Would cutting it reduce the risk of a burst pipe? Or should I just leave it on, open all cabinets (and tell my realtor to do the same when she leaves), and keep the heat on around 50 degrees?

Do I need to update address with the county treasurer for my tax bill, etc?

Ugh, last time we moved across country, we were just getting out of a rental and getting into our home. This is completely backwards, and I'm not quite sure what all I'm supposed to do. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.
SteveBott
AG
Lender- just pay mortgage and they won't care

Water- I'd leave it on so buyers can test system
histag10
AG
Thanks Steve!
SteveBott
AG
Last thing you want with no water on is the second person to take a dump in your toilet
histag10
AG
SteveBott said:

Last thing you want with no water on is the second person to take a dump in your toilet

That would be horrible. I never even thought about that lol
SteveBott
AG
Never underestimate the stupidity of people. You will lose that bet every time.

Seriously they will want to see the hot water tank works. Worst case find the master shut off valve from the city to the house and show the realtor how to manually shut if off if a big storm is coming.
histag10
AG
SteveBott said:

Never underestimate the stupidity of people. You will lose that bet every time.

Seriously they will want to see the hot water tank works. Worst case find the master shut off valve from the city to the house and show the realtor how to manually shut if off if a big storm is coming.

I currently work for the City Attorney (at least until 3:00 today) and have a really great working relationship with the Director of Public Works (and am good friends with the clerk for the water department). Worse case, I will just call and ask if they can go run shut it off for me. My house has an electric lock on it (I always lose keys and I figure the new owners will rekey anyways), so all of those people actually have the code to my house anyways.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.