Real Estate
Sponsored by

Rental with pasture land question

794 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieGunslinger
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a rent house in East TX that is attached to pasture land. We have never allowed a tenant access to the land before, however we pulled all our cows off a few years ago and now the land has gone fallow. The fences are junk, the chinese tallow is back, etc. I have a prospective tenant that is interested in the house because they want to land too. I feel like I need a specific lease form for this as I don't want to be on the hook for what happens to their horses or what their horses do when they get out. Any one dealt with this before? I know land is leased out all the time, I just don't know if it needs to be a separate lease or an addendum to the normal lease.

They are on the Housing Choice Voucher program which is new to me, but seems like it is paid by the state/fed so there is little worry of them not paying. How you can be on the program and afford two horses I have no idea.
CS78
I have a rent house with pasture land and horses. I worried about the same thing and did a lot of digging and couldn't come up with anything. Finalized on adding to special provisions that they are responsible for the upkeep of all pastures, facilities, and fences. That should go a long ways in reducing your risk. You could also do a separate ag lease for the land but I don't know anything about them.

As far as a HUD tenant, it sounds easy but it usually isn't. I used to deal with them a good bit and swore them off. If the government is paying all of their rent, that's a plus. If the tenant is responsible for part of it, don't expect to get all of that on a regular basis. Lots of things the tenant can do to lose their assistance while still in your property. If that happens, get ready to do an eviction. Expect a HUD inspector to come nitpick your property for things you have to fix. Expect to deal with the things that come with low income people. Pitbulls, beer cans in the yard, etc, etc.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Obviously I can't turn them down due to HUD status, but am I expected to change my approval criteria for them?

Also, would you be willing to email me that provision, my username at gmail.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.