Real Estate
Sponsored by

This Fad Needs to Die

5,015 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RK
aggie appraiser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sliding. Barn. Doors. I'm sick of them.
dallasiteinsa02
We are building a new home and don't have a one. I can understand their function on a floor plan that for some reason doesn't allow a pocket door but those situations are rare.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Agree 100%.

I do love pocket doors, though.
Diggity
AG
I saw a house in the Heights where they just took a standard IKEA sliding door kit and put it on the outside of the bathroom to make a "sliding barn door". Looked about how you would expect it to.
aggiederelict
All white kitchens.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Grey. Make the grey go away.
AggieAces06
AG
We are about to build a house and will have them on the study entrance. Don't want to waste space with french doors, and the hubby isn't a fan of pocket doors. Our overall feel will be rustic though, so I think it will work.

I do agree with the need for the grey to go away. Seem like every new build is grey and white. Blah! I'll keep my tans and browns.
PFG
AG
I love pocket doors too...but doing big ones, and doing them right is expensive. Currently having plans bid out and 2 BIG pockets that close off the kids side of the home... $5000.
Furlock Bones
AG
AggieAces06 said:

We are about to build a house and will have them on the study entrance. Don't want to waste space with french doors, and the hubby isn't a fan of pocket doors. Our overall feel will be rustic though, so I think it will work.

I do agree with the need for the grey to go away. Seem like every new build is grey and white. Blah! I'll keep my tans and browns.
gray and white is far superior in every way to tan and brown.
aggie appraiser
Furlock Bones said:

AggieAces06 said:

gray and white is far superior in every way to tan and brown.

Maybe, if you spent twenty years in the navy and miss your battleship.
Pendragon12
AG
AggieAces06 said:

After having an entire house in nothing but tan and brown everywhere, I strongly disagree. Give me grays, creams, and whites all day.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Thank God we don't get to paint each other's houses, amirite?
Martin Cash
AG
I don't get it. I love the sliding doors on my barn. Swinging doors would be too large to manage.
MousepadMarauder
AG
For those that do not like the all white kitchens, can you help me understand your position? Is it a personal preference thing or do you think they are not functional/ that they are too trendy??? We are building a house and seriously considering a pretty white kitchen but with dark wood floors and a red brick backsplash. Wall paint will be one of the trendy "greige" colors with white cabinets and white countertops.
vansprinkle
AG
My old house had a small master bath. The door to it had the master bed door on the left when looking into it, so the bath door opened into the bathroom. Since the bathroom was already small, opening the door was a pain if someone else were in the bathroom, and if the door was full open, it would interfere with the linen closets doors that were on that side.

Our options when remodeling were no door, pocket door, or barn door. No door was not an option for my wife, and I hate pocket doors. Our final option was a barn door, which was easy enough to install and I thought it looked great. Best part was the functionality and how it helped open up the bathroom.
The Fife
chrisfield said:

Thank God we don't get to paint each other's houses, amirite?

HGTV already had a show about that and it was terrible!
agdoc2001
AG
MousepadMarauder said:

For those that do not like the all white kitchens, can you help me understand your position? Is it a personal preference thing or do you think they are not functional/ that they are too trendy??? We are building a house and seriously considering a pretty white kitchen but with dark wood floors and a red brick backsplash. Wall paint will be one of the trendy "greige" colors with white cabinets and white countertops.
Don't worry about it. If I've learned anything from looking at more than 50 houses in the last several months in Texas it's that most people have awful taste in decorating. This forum is no exception. White kitchens look great. Gray is the best color. The above posters are still trying to coordinate their fuzzy toilet seat covers with their shower curtains.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
MousepadMarauder said:

Let's see. It looks clean, classic color, with a nice contrasting dark wood floor. I don't know sounds terrible.
62strat
AG
MousepadMarauder said:

An all white kitchen... but with dark floors, grey paint and red brick backsplash huh?

Here's a hint; that's not all white.

NoahAg
I thought this was gonna be about SHIPLAP.
PFG
AG
It isn't shiplap that needs to die. Its entire homes in shiplap and word signs. Please lord stop letting middle age women buy signs that say "Wine" "Love" "Happiness" "My Farmhouse" and hanging them up in the home. Gross.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
Why not both?
Satellite of Love
You are welcome!

Pick a font batman!

The ultimate STHM sign who lives in a McMansion

bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
88jrt06
AG
Bless This Mess

The House May Be Wee
But The Welcome Is Big
BearJew13
AG
MAKE. IT. STOP.
MAS444
AG
My favorites are the "EAT", "SLEEP" ones...
Canyon99
I told my wife we should hang a sign above the bed that says **** and another by the crapper that reads **** . She was not amused.
Diggity
AG
Good idea. You could switch them every so often just to spice things up.
Canyon99
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Here are mine,

1. Open floor plans.
2. Confusing traditionally private and public spaces. No one should entertain in the kitchen.
3. Filthy houses and blaming it on chidren.
The Collective
AG
We have white cabinets (wife's decision) - they get dirty pretty easily. I am not a fan.
aggie_wes
AG
You'd hate my house
88jrt06
AG
fw_ag said:

Here are mine,

1. Open floor plans.
2. Confusing traditionally private and public spaces. No one should entertain in the kitchen.
3. Filthy houses and blaming it on chidren.

Don't forget #4....leave the ****ing privy door OPEN when you depart (whew!).

Laughed at the "blaming children" comment, though. Spot on.
RK
AG
Diggity said:

Good idea. You could switch them every so often just to spice things up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.