Real Estate
Sponsored by

100 yr flood plain in Houston

3,114 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Satellite of Love
h_elise23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My husband and I are looking at homes and all of the cute ones seem to be in a 100 year flood plain (Briarforest area). The houses were looking at have never flooded and the neighbors have never flooded either. My question is, is it worth the premium/risk knowing this?

Also, who would you recommend for flood insurance?

Thanks!
SteveBott
AG
Read this thread, and gets in the weeds, but just keep going and come back with questions

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2872804

Martin Q. Blank
h_elise23 said:

Also, who would you recommend for flood insurance?
You don't have a choice.
Satellite of Love
If you are going to live anywhere in the city in the flood plain or not, get flood insurance. Just because you are in a plain doesn't mean you will flood, and being outside a plain doesn't mean you won't flood.

It will happen all the development and lack of proper drainage planing by this damn city will get you.
Premium
AG
As long as it's cute I'd say go for it
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
most of the drainage in and around there, my house included drains into buffalo bayou. I considered dropping my flood insurance this year especially after we got 12 inches in one night and the water wasn't close to my house. Well a lot of the storm drains once they clear the neighborhood or just steel pipes installed 30-40 years ago. The main one by my house collapsed right before the bayou and not anything more that an inch leaves 20 inch deep water in the road, although i think they have finally fixed the problem.

Long story short, get flood insurance. I wouldn't be scared away fy living in a flood plain, but just know your insurance rates will be higher and the property will be worth less, sometimes a lot less....but if you are cool with those two scenarios then go for it.
88jrt06
AG
Lifetime Houstonian.

Buy flood insurance.
Every year.
94chem
Quote:

Lifetime Houstonian.

Buy flood insurance.
Every year.
OP bouta fine out, amirite?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
harvey going in fist first
jagvocate
AG
So. Many. Homes.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
My home flooded

Never flooded before
I'm assuming that is the same with thousands of homes in houston
The Fife
OP needs to come back with the address later with an update whether it flooded or not.
TXTransplant
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

My home flooded

Never flooded before
The suburbs have to be careful, too. The west side of my subdivision in The Woodlands is the "fancy" side, because a) the houses are newer and b) more of it backs up to the George Mitchell nature preserve. It's not unusual for those houses to go for up to $200/sq ft, where as those on my side are lucky to get $150 (several neighbors sold earlier this summer for $135-ish). With few exceptions, these are mass-produced builder-grade homes (Village, David Weekley, Coventry, Darling, etc.) - nothing custom or even super fancy.

The expensive homes over there almost took on water in the May 2016 flood but dodged a bullet. They all had water yesterday.

My side is high and dry and was never threatened. None of the houses are in a flood plain that requires flood insurance, but I've had it since I moved in over 4 years ago.

The sad thing is, we have high turnover in this neighborhood. Probably 30% of the houses in my mini-'hood have turned over at least once, and everything was built in 2012. As people leave, we lose that history and people forget about the risk.
88jrt06
AG
TXTransplant said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

My home flooded

Never flooded before
The suburbs have to be careful, too. The west side of my subdivision in The Woodlands is the "fancy" side, because a) the houses are newer and b) more of it backs up to the George Mitchell nature preserve. It's not unusual for those houses to go for up to $200/sq ft, where as those on my side are lucky to get $150 (several neighbors sold earlier this summer for $135-ish). With few exceptions, these are mass-produced builder-grade homes (Village, David Weekley, Coventry, Darling, etc.) - nothing custom or even super fancy.

The expensive homes over there almost took on water in the May 2016 flood but dodged a bullet. They all had water yesterday.

My side is high and dry and was never threatened. None of the houses are in a flood plain that requires flood insurance, but I've had it since I moved in over 4 years ago.

The sad thing is, we have high turnover in this neighborhood. Probably 30% of the houses in my mini-'hood have turned over at least once, and everything was built in 2012. As people leave, we lose that history and people forget about the risk.

In a catastrophic situation, you set aside the p/sf humble brag. Also because Woodlanders are often tied to the airport proximity over a regional education (ok by me)....
In ITL Houston, $400/sf is common for comparable dirt
and worth every penny. You actually said "the suburbs have to be careful, too"! After the tally, compare ITL between Westheimer and Holcombe, loop and dtown to most exurbs. Harvey is the worst -I hate this- but it is an
equal opportunity flood....rare. The point often missed is that HOUSTONIANS often dodged MASSIVE floods 150 years ago (and never quit). Every flood, another tweak. The sad truth is that almost every exurb is only 30 or so years old.
You are actually part of an experiment devised by our developer Gods. And I guarantee that wasn't part of the sales pitch. In NOLA, it's the French Quarter that survives.
In greater Houston.... I don't mean to offend anyone, but
ITL is way ahead -even with a massive human density disadvantage-of everywhere else in the region. Forty years of interest in this subject, flood after flood...that's me, but over 150 years of work to protect.....where? You know where. T&P, don't care where you are now, stay safe, my heart is breaking for everybody. My hometown is suffering.
Ask your developer-gods, county and city officials why.
There needs to be accountability, and FINALLY, accountability. Google "Jim Blackburn"....he's been trying to
point out the obvious for 30 years...many more folks. It's time to stop short-term hit and run greed. No?
TXTransplant
I'm having a hard time following your post, but I didn't post my comment as a humble brag. I posted it as a word of caution. The vast majority of The Woodlands is fine. The community as a whole didn't experience much flooding, and the areas in Montgomery Co part that did have flooded multiple times in recent history. But I am in the "new" part of the development (that is actually in Harris County). We aren't in a zone that requires flood insurance. Prior to this, many people lived here with a false sense of security. People paid a premium to have a house on a green belt, and now those houses have anywhere from 6" to 2' of water. My house is 20-30 ft higher than those in my neighborhood that did flood, but I have no intention of canceling my flood policy. I think anyone who lives in the area should have one. The sad thing is that the (probably overvalued in the first place) houses in my neighborhood that did flood are now going to take a huge hit in value. The fact of the matter is, no place is safe, regardless of what flood plain you are in.
jmazz
AG
You actually do have a choice for flood insurance IF the property lies in certain flood zones.

I have EZ Flood for a property in Burleson County that's in Zone A. About to find out how it works out b/c my property flooded from Harvey.
Satellite of Love
Holy sheet I was right....that is scary.....OP anything new to report?
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.