Real Estate
Sponsored by

This Time, It's a Bubble in Rentals

10,099 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jevertson
Fat Black Swan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://mises.org/library/time-its-bubble-rentals

Quote:

Not surprisingly, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are financing this rental housing boom. I wrote recently, the GSEs made 53% of all apartment loans in 2016, down from their combined 68% market share in 2012. "So, their conservator, The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), recently eased the GSE's lending caps so they can crank out even more loans."

Mary Salmonsen writes for multifamilyexecutive.com, "Currently, Fannie and Freddie are particularly dominant in garden apartments [and] in student housing, with 62% and 61% shares, respectively. The two remain the largest mid-/high-rise lenders but hold only 35% of the market."

Mr. Richter warns us, "Government Sponsored Enterprises such as Fannie Mae guarantee commercial mortgages on apartment buildings and package them in Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities. So taxpayers are on the hook. Banks are on the hook too."

But, for the moment, it's build them and they will come; first renters, then complex buyers. Wall Street giant "The Blackstone Group acquired three Las Vegas Valley apartment complexes for $170 million, property records show," writes Eli Segall for the Las Vegas Review Journal. "Overall, it bought 972 units for an average of $174,900 each."

Sales like this has developers going as fast as they can. I heard an apartment developer say Vegas has at least four more good years left in this cycle and is scrambling for new sites. In the land of Starbucks, Microsoft and Amazon, it's thought the boom will never end. Richter writes, "the new supply of apartment units hitting the market in 2018 and 2019 will even be larger. In Seattle, for example, there are 67,507 new apartment units in the pipeline."

However, while no one was paying attention, "the prices of apartment buildings nationally, after seven dizzying boom years, peaked last summer and have declined 3% since," Richter writes. "Transaction volume of apartment buildings has plunged. And asking rents, the crux because they pay for the whole construct, have now flattened."

As usual, cheap money entices developers to over do it, and the fall will be just as painful.
Ragoo
AG
I've seen more and more rentals on the market in the last 6 months. The fact they are hitting the open market tells me a bubble is forming. Been in our house 6 years and this is the first time the surrounding neighborhoods have had For Lease signs in them. Kind of makes me want to cash out of the area...
Bitter Old Man
AG
I see a few very large holes in his argument:

1) He ignored demand. They talk about deliveries, but not absorption. . They ignored the effect of SF housing costs on apartment demand. They ignored the propensity of millennials to rent longer before they buy. The only demand metric they cited was a declining population in Chicago, and then quoted that they are delivering 7800 units. Chicago is a massive MSA, and to me, 7800 units is a paltry number. New York and LA are at the top of the list, but they are also the largest cities. I would be much more interested in seeing the % growth of these cities.

2) He ignored external financial market forces on real estate valuation. Real Estate does not exist in a vacuum. Cap Rates may have bottomed out and are rising simply because rates are rising in the market overall. If investors expect a higher rate of return, then cap rates will rise. Sure that may affect developer pro-formas, but its not necessarily an indicator of over-saturation.

3) Fannie/Freddie have always been the dominant multi-family lenders. They offer great terms, that you cant get anywhere else.

This feels more like a "sky is falling" article than anything scientific. I feel like everyone wants to be the first to call a bubble. This may very well be a bubble, but I will reserve judgment until I see some better numbers.
evestor1
Very interesting article. In my single family / duplex world ...

I have no doubt we will see a collapse in the rental market someday soon. It will not be because of lack of demand...IMO it will be from people buying properties w poor returns just for the sake of "getting into rentals before values get higher."

We see it all over right now. Someone willing to buy a 210k house that will rent at 1900 during peak. Have a economic pullback and that rent drops to 1750. Meanwhile the investor has a 1500-1700 note. Demand for the house is there, but the price adjustment just ruined the investors game. Oh yeah...and now the house is worth 180k instead of 240k like the investor had projected.

i am not qualified to talk about apartments and I couldn't open the article (disclaimer)
Diggity
AG
if "demand is there", why the "economic pullback" and why did our theoretical property plummet in value?
Bitter Old Man
AG
IMHO, the best way to predict a bubble is to follow dumb money. When average Joe decides he wants to get in the game and just pays "market" for everything, then you have a problem coming.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Demand is (almost) always there..... at a price.
Diggity
AG
well no kidding...I have a rental right now that's just sitting. I lower to $1 and it will probably move quick!
The Fife
evestor1 said:

Very interesting article. In my single family / duplex world ...

I have no doubt we will see a collapse in the rental market someday soon. It will not be because of lack of demand...IMO it will be from people buying properties w poor returns just for the sake of "getting into rentals before values get higher."

We see it all over right now. Someone willing to buy a 210k house that will rent at 1900 during peak. Have a economic pullback and that rent drops to 1750. Meanwhile the investor has a 1500-1700 note. Demand for the house is there, but the price adjustment just ruined the investors game. Oh yeah...and now the house is worth 180k instead of 240k like the investor had projected.

i am not qualified to talk about apartments and I couldn't open the article (disclaimer)
People here would kill for those numbers. You'd be looking at spending $400-$450K to get that much in rent per month.
texrover91
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

IMHO, the best way to predict a bubble is to follow dumb money. When average Joe decides he wants to get in the game and just pays "market" for everything, then you have a problem coming.

Example - you're from Vegas or Jersey, pooling family money, and buying the single largest tract of raw land you found on Zillow or LoopNet.

Second would be buying an investment property with no zoning/entitlement due diligence.

For entertainment, I present you Chris Bosh

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Prosper-Mansion-Being-Built-By-Former-NBA-Star-on-Hold-430008623.html%3famp=y
scrap
AG
If your rental is below $1000, is clean and you have even a modest marketing plan you should have no problem finding a renter. However, get much above $1000/mo and the glut of new rentals entering the market place could put a slow down on finding renters. I've got my 8 units all rented, my brother has all 8 of his and a close friend has his 10 units all rented. To top it off ALL of these units are in Bryan which most would consider harder to rent, especially to students. Modest duplex/4plexes and rents currently under $1000. Good luck Ags.
94chem
Yikes. I ultimately decided to put some 401 (k) money in an REIT and let somebody else mortgage themselves up to their eyeballs while cleaning cat urine out of the carpet in a meth lab at 3 a.m.
Ed Carter
AG
I think the issue is being able to build apartments and housing at an affordable build. As far as demand goes, we are actually not keeping up with the demand of the rental market. We need 4.6 million units by 2030 to keep up with demand (articles/data out there discuss this). I think we are definitely top heavy in certain high end markets (Vegas) but from a macro sense the rental market is not going anywhere but up
(Removed:11023A)
AG
A rental bubble is bursting in BCS as we speak!!!!

Way too many rental properties coming in line plus all the new apartments that are new this year plus at least 5 more yet to be built

It's ****ing madness!!!

The next couple of years (unless A&M decides to add 10,000 more students) are going to be very very painful
CS78
andyv94 said:

Noticed a small complex today near campus that had changed their "receive a $500 gift card for lease signing" to "$1000". The apartments have definitely been hit the hardest and I'd expect it to only get worse. I'd also expect to see future weakness in luxury student 4 and 5 bedroom houses/duplexes and properties marketed as student rentals that aren't close to campus. I'd expect demand to stay solid in 2 bedroom duplexes/ houses, cheaper student houses close to campus, South CS and Bryan houses marketed to families(propped up by the low supply/ high price of starter homes).

Most of the owners I know that also do their own management were able to get leased pretty easily. In the next couple years, keeping things in your hands and making sure they are done right will be the largest buffer to this market. Quality property management, treating your properties as a business, and treating your tenants with respect will be huge. The reputation of property management companies in this town is terrible for a reason. It doesn't take much effort to beat them out and provide a superior product/ experience for your tenants. Without calculating it, I had about an 80% renewal rate this year. That sure makes leasing easy. Keep your renewal rate up and the coming years should be tolerable.
SoTheySay
S
There are properties in CS being offered at under $300/room right now.
AG
CS78 said:

andyv94 said:

Noticed a small complex today near campus that had changed their "receive a $500 gift card for lease signing" to "$1000". The apartments have definitely been hit the hardest and I'd expect it to only get worse. I'd also expect to see future weakness in luxury student 4 and 5 bedroom houses/duplexes and properties marketed as student rentals that aren't close to campus. I'd expect demand to stay solid in 2 bedroom duplexes/ houses, cheaper student houses close to campus, South CS and Bryan houses marketed to families(propped up by the low supply/ high price of starter homes).

Most of the owners I know that also do their own management were able to get leased pretty easily. In the next couple years, keeping things in your hands and making sure they are done right will be the largest buffer to this market. Quality property management, treating your properties as a business, and treating your tenants with respect will be huge. The reputation of property management companies in this town is terrible for a reason. It doesn't take much effort to beat them out and provide a superior product/ experience for your tenants. Without calculating it, I had about an 80% renewal rate this year. That sure makes leasing easy. Keep your renewal rate up and the coming years should be tolerable.

Let's hope so!!

I own 4 luxury townhomes in a nice subdivision off of Harvey at Summit Crossing. All 4 are 2/2.5 two story units with attached garage, large utility room with washer and drier, covered patio with small yard, balconies off of the master bedroom and 2nd bedroom. Granite counter tops, custom cabinets, wood floors and carpet upstairs, walking closets, etc......

I had to drastically lower my rent from $1,700 to around $1400/month

And there are still more apartments being built near my development! I honestly don't have a clue how these large investors can't see that the market for apartments is saturated as we speak!! The gorvetnment is at it again but this time is apartments that are going to crash thanks to low interests loans provided by Fannie Mae strictly for multifamily!!
All those new 4-5 room houses are going to be hurting big time because I don't think they can match what a new apartment will offer to sign you up!!

I don't lease to students but I'm being squeezed by the ****ing apartments as well

There are about 5 houses right off of George Bush drive that are right across from campus that are vacant!!now THAT freaks me out!!

Next two years will be brutal, so yeah, I'll try to keep all of my current tenants if I can!!
b0ridi
$1700/month for a 2br townhome? You could get a 3br single family home for that much for the past few years
AG
Yes that's what I had been leasing them for. They are high end large two bedrooms townhomes! Not your typical town home
G Money
AG
Are you 100% leased through May of 2018?

What would the asking price be per square foot on one that isn't leased at this point?
wheelskjm
AG
I've noticed here in my small town in CO, tons of homes off the market at or above asking, to flip to rental properties. Tons of new entrants from all over.

It's had me kinda on "omg it the 'big short' all over again!" in my head for the last 4 months.

AG
Yes, all 4 are leased thank god
GarlandAg2012
AG
Anyone with a rental house want to do a 4 month lease for Football season? Better than letting them go vacant for the full school year.
SoTheySay
S
I may!
GarlandAg2012
AG
PM me or email me at my handle at gmail if you are serious.
SoTheySay
S
Will do
jmazz
AG
I may do that. 4010 Aspen, Bryan (5 bed, 4 bath single family house) is available. Give me a shout if interested.

Jeff at 12realty dot com
scrap
AG
Someone once told me "A rental house made of gold but empty is worthless to a buy and hold investor". All these luxury apts coming on line is ridiculous. Isn't college cost expensive enough. Yeah, there always be those few Ags that have to put their spoiled children in the best quarters available.

But that ship will sail with a little country wide recession. When will that happen, who in the hell knows?
But when it does there will be a big adjustment to LUXURY rental properties. Eventually it may even flow down to us lowly low income 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex owners, but it will be a while for us. In my 15 years as a real estate investor, the most I have adjusted rents downward was one rental unit, one time for $50. Someone just mentioned lowering from 1700 to 1400. Is this a sign of things to come.....I think yes as this problem is self inflicted by Institutional "Speculators". Add in a little real time market induced stress and we have a big problem brewing.

I love renting to students, especially grad students or vet school students. They have experienced enough with the high price of education, and they appreciate low income, clean but small 2/1s or 3/2s that can be had for under $400 a room. I love it when I advertise a 2/1 duplex for $800 and they ask "is that for 1 room?" thats when I know it is a slam dunk!

For you investors looking for cash flow don't forget what you are looking for......cash flow. The duplexes or 4 plexes I buy are not ones I would live in now but looking back they are far better than the Corp dorms I did live in 45 years ago! Perfect for penny pinching students.......and parents! Stay focus my friends, remember it is a College Town(s).
Fat Black Swan
AG
Stabilized Class C assets in secondary South and East Texas markets selling at mid-6 caps with 20 year loans in the mid-5 range.

Things are very firmly slapping up against fundamentals.
DFWag84
translation?
CS78
How's this years leasing season shaping up for others in B/CS? Overall, about a 70% renewal rate. Paranoia had me only increasing rates on my 2 beds. They still leased really quickly. That niche seems to be really strong. Only one student rental left without a lease. One north Bryan house that has been empty for a couple months which is odd and a first. South CS family houses went pretty fast. I only have 2 bed duplexes and SFRs but that market does not appear to be slowing.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

translation?

Glad I'm not the only one.
jagvocate
AG
I went to a RE guru's 'Multifamily Boot Camp' in FL and had a blast, but left reinvigorated about my current single family rental and owner finance strategies. My single overall take after day three was 'there's a bubble going to pop here in 3-4 years and I want to be ready when it does."
94chem
Bitter Old Man said:

But enough about Bitcoin...
94chem
DFWag84 said:

translation?

Of the username or the post?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.