Real Estate
Sponsored by

High Property tax rates for new neighborhoods

2,379 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXTransplant
jdubd34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I have been checking out some new construction neighborhoods in the same area where we currently live. I was surprised to notice the high tax rate (3.6%) compared to my current rate (2.6%). It looks like this is the case in some other new neighborhoods in the Houston area as well.

Is this tax rate only so high temporarily (probably wishful thinking)due to new infrastructure, utilities, MUD, etc? If so, how soon and by how much could the rates reduce?

I could not find great answers with google searches, so I will hope for texags experts to come through
normaleagle05
AG
It's the MUD paying off it's bonds on the infrastructure (basically paying back the developer for their investment). The bonds have a certain term, think like the term of your mortgage, after which they (and their associated tax rate) will go away. And about that time you'll have a bunch of aging infrastructure that'll require new bonds.

Welcome to housing costs in greater Houston. The only cure is 4 hours up IH45.
Bassmaster
AG
Poster above is right. It is the MUD. As far as when they will lower your rate....sure, they will lower it, but you will have already moved into a new neighborhood by then, so it is kind of a moot point.
TXTransplant
I live in a relatively new development (construction started in 2007 and is just now finishing up). Our MUD taxes are high, but the MUD tax rate has been decreased more than once in the four years I've lived here.
jdubd34
AG
Thanks for the responses, kind of what I was dreading. It really puts a dent in the value when comparing similarly priced houses in neighborhoods with a full percentage difference in tax rates.
BSD
AG
Mud bonds typically have a debt service that extends 20-25 years and are heavily weighted towards that back end, so they don't go away quickly. Because of the lack of accessed value in the newer district, MUD bond investors demand a higher rate of return for that risk so MUD bonds have higher interest rates. That's said, as the accessed value of the district increases (becomes occupied), the rate can go down. Of course, as new developments go into the district, more debt may be issued. In short, you're stuck with it for the foreseeable future.
JobSecurity
AG
So you're saying the tax rate decreases slowly over time rather than stepping down at the end of that 25ish year period?

Going through the same struggle now. Hard to live with paying almost the same in tax per month as P&I.
BSD
AG
foleyt said:

So you're saying the tax rate decreases slowly over time rather than stepping down at the end of that 25ish year period?

Going through the same struggle now. Hard to live with paying almost the same in tax per month as P&I.

Essentially, and not considering additional bond issuance for new developments within the district, yes...I'm saying your tax rate could slowly come down as more people move in, build homes, and add value to the district. Of course, at the end of the 25 year issuance, it will dramatically drop assuming they don't refinance and extend the debt, or add additional debt during that time.

Let's say there are 100 households in the MUD right now and the debt is $10mm. Each property is the same value. Each of those households is responsible for $100k in debt. Let's say 900 more move in. Now each home is responsible for $10k. Everyone's slice of that debt pie is now lower. Add the fact that the accessed value of the entire district is going up and you can see those rates decline further as 3.50% of higher values means more money. They can lower the tax rate with the new AVs and still service the debt. This is a very simplistic example for a new neighborhood.

Let's look at Ft Bend MUD #123. In 2012, the AV was $168mm and the tax rate was $1.15. Fast forward to 2016 and the AV was $330mm and the tax rate dropped 6 cents to $1.099. During that time it added $12.7mm in new money debt (there was other debt issuance but that was refunding bonds to get a better rate). So the AV grew tremendously, new bonds were issued for new projects, and the tax rate came down.

Another example: Ft Bend #142 had an Accessed Value of $403mm in 2011 with a $1.32 tax rate. The AV is now $750mm with a $0.77 tax rate.

Established neighborhoods that are maxed at buildouts, occupancy, and population probably won't see as much of a change. But the rates should be lower in those.

Again, these are all very simplistic views on my part. Each MUD is different.
BSD
AG
I'd like to add that legally they don't have to decrease the tax rate in a rising AV situation. Some districts assume growth during the analysis of debt issuance and keep the tax rate at that level for prolonged period of time.

Another example, Ft Bend MUD #144 had a $71mm AV in 2011. It's AV now is about $209mm. It's tax rate has been $0.80 the whole time. Still, that's cheaper than #123 above!

I wouldn't buy a house in hopes that rates decrease.

So bottom line: MUD taxes suck.
RK
AG
the taxes will get lowed around the same time the beltway gets "paid off" and stops charging tolls.
Diggity
AG
man that's going to be super sweet!
vansprinkle
AG
I wish HAR had a tax rate filter. I'm looking now and after I put in my filters and pull up homes, the first thing I look at is the tax rate. Anything over 3% is a nonstarter. If home values start jumping up again, those higher tax rates are going to put an even bigger hurt on homeowners.
JobSecurity
AG
vansprinkle said:

I wish HAR had a tax rate filter. I'm looking now and after I put in my filters and pull up homes, the first thing I look at is the tax rate. Anything over 3% is a nonstarter. If home values start jumping up again, those higher tax rates are going to put an even bigger hurt on homeowners.

Yeah I can't believe none of the listing apps/sites have this ability. At this point I've mostly memorized which neighborhoods are acceptable but it's still a pain.
vansprinkle
AG
foleyt said:

vansprinkle said:

Yeah I can't believe none of the listing apps/sites have this ability. At this point I've mostly memorized which neighborhoods are acceptable but it's still a pain.

Same here. I generally know what parts have the high tax rate, so I completely ignore them. I'd hate myself if I miss a nice home in a reasonable tax area because I think it's a high tax area, but as long as I don't know about the one that got a way, I'll still be able to sleep at night.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
above posters are spot on. Our CPA firm actually audits 400+ MUDs in the state. The taxes suck, but they're handling all your water, sewer, drainage, garbage and most also handle security patrol. They also build/pay for community centers, parks, playgrounds etc. They are a financing mechanism to drive development by big time Developers, which likely the City couldn't handle if they didn't exist. Most do not realize, but each MUD has a 5 member board of directors made up of residents. They're allowed to receive $150 per day of district business they conduct, up to $7,200 annually. I recommend to everyone I know to get on their MUD board and "offset" the taxes and be in charge of how their tax money is spent.
MGS
CypressCPAg said:

The taxes suck, but they're handling all your water, sewer, drainage, garbage and most also handle security patrol.
Isn't that the city's job? Why are the residents also paying property tax to the city?
BSD
AG
The developers are putting money up front to build out the infrastructure, not the city. you are paying them back for that up front cost at bond issuance while you pay the principal and interest rate over the life of the bond.

Im not familiar with a MUD handling security.
TXTransplant
MGS said:

CypressCPAg said:

The taxes suck, but they're handling all your water, sewer, drainage, garbage and most also handle security patrol.
Isn't that the city's job? Why are the residents also paying property tax to the city?

Most MUDs are in unincorporated areas - so no city taxes. That's the whole reason the MUD exists - because there is no city to provide those services.

And I will add that, while my MUD taxes are kind of high, my water bill is usually never more than $40/month. I was talking to a coworker today who lives in Kingwood (it's my understanding that the City of Houston bought that MUD when they annexed), and his water bill is routinely $300-$350/month. Seems to me, they get you one way or the other.
88jrt06
AG
normaleagle05 said:

It's the MUD paying off it's bonds on the infrastructure (basically paying back the developer for their investment). The bonds have a certain term, think like the term of your mortgage, after which they (and their associated tax rate) will go away. And about that time you'll have a bunch of aging infrastructure that'll require new bonds.

Welcome to housing costs in greater Houston. The only cure is 4 hours up IH45.

Corsicana? Or Wilmer-Hutchins?
88jrt06
AG
TXTransplant said:

MGS said:

CypressCPAg said:

Most MUDs are in unincorporated areas - so no city taxes. That's the whole reason the MUD exists - because there is no city to provide those services.

And I will add that, while my MUD taxes are kind of high, my water bill is usually never more than $40/month. I was talking to a coworker today who lives in Kingwood (it's my understanding that the City of Houston bought that MUD when they annexed), and his water bill is routinely $300-$350/month. Seems to me, they get you one way or the other.

Is your coworker running a fracking project?
My COH water bill is in line with yours...and has been..
TXTransplant
88jrt06 said:

TXTransplant said:

MGS said:

CypressCPAg said:

Is your coworker running a fracking project?
My COH water bill is in line with yours...and has been..

Haha! Idk...but he says his bill is never that low. I took his word for it, since I paid more for water when I lived in College Station vs where I do now (not quite that much, though).
IrishTxAggie
AG
Does he have a pool? I had an old co-worker that lived in Kingwood and had a pool. His water bill got some huge sum tacked on it for water retention or some crap like that because his pool would collect rain water.
TXTransplant
ColinAggie said:

Does he have a pool? I had an old co-worker that lived in Kingwood and had a pool. His water bill got some huge sum tacked on it for water retention or some crap like that because his pool would collect rain water.

Not this particular one, but I have another coworker who does live there and has a pool, and he has told a similar story to yours above.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.