Real Estate
Sponsored by

Property Mgmt Companies for rental house

1,152 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dubi
atx_aggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am going to be moving to Houston and would like to rent my house out in Austin. I have never rented a house out before and would like to get opinions on what people think about using a property mgmt company.
JB
AG
This has been discussed here plenty, and it seems that it is really just personal preference.

I use a realtor to get my rentals rented. They list it, do the background checks, get the contract signed. I take over from there. I pay them 1/2 of one months rent for this service.

When my tenant calls me with an issue I personally can't fix quickly, I will call on my list of trades (A/C guy, garage door guy, electrician etc) I give them my tenants contact info, and they take care of it and send me a bill. I don't need a management company taking whatever % a month to make a phone call.

I enjoy doing the make-readys between tenants, but if you don't, and that is part of your deal with the mgmt company, then that might be the best route for you.

What part of Austin?
Know1
AG
Great answer JB.

If you aren't inclined to do it yourself...I'd go with a dedicated property manager (by this I mean that is their full time employment/focus) as opposed to an agent who happens to do property management.

atx_aggie12...give me a shout if you need a Realtor in Houston. I'd love the opportunity to help you out.
Tonyperkis
AG
Agree with answer from JB. I think another item to consider is what type of property do you have. Is it newer construction or old? Is it relatively small square footage or is it larger with more potential for things to go wrong?

I've managed a property before from the opposite side of the world, but my condo was a new build and pretty small square footage so the chances of issues occurring were minimal. I also had people I trusted that could help me if there was an emergency.
mwp02ag
AG
List to lease is the term correct?

I'm torn. I want to scale my business and that tells me that's what I should focus on. I also know that this triplex I'm almost finished with is 100% new hvac, plumbing and electrical and $26k in foundation. It shouldn't give me any trouble and the experience would only make me better.

I'm most concerned about noise complaints. I should have found the money to insulate the common walls.
dubi
AG
mwp02ag said:

List to lease is the term correct?

I'm torn. I want to scale my business and that tells me that's what I should focus on. I also know that this triplex I'm almost finished with is 100% new hvac, plumbing and electrical and $26k in foundation. It shouldn't give me any trouble and the experience would only make me better.

I'm most concerned about noise complaints. I should have found the money to insulate the common walls.
That would have been really inexpensive when the walls were open.

When we removed the paneling in our house, we insulated the interior walls for sound.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.