Real Estate
Sponsored by

Insanity in Waco

8,876 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aezmvp
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FB is alive with this listing. I remember the show where a TINY little house in a mediocre hood in Waco was rebuilt by the Fixer Upper guys. They did a great job BUT it still a 1000 sq ft little place on a narrow lot in a ehhh hood.
Some idiot is actually asking almost a MILLION dollars for the place.
Enjoy...
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/624-S-7th-St_Waco_TX_76706_M86868-93120?cid=soc_shares_ldp_fb#photo17
Furlock Bones
AG
that's absurd
p_bubel
dallasiteinsa02
While tax value doesn't have any direct correlation to list price, I don't think I have ever seen tax value be 10% of list.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Aren't most of the homes on that show in or right next to sketchy neighborhoods? That is why they are so cheap to begin with.
The Original AG 76
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Aren't most of the homes on that show in or right next to sketchy neighborhoods? That is why they are so cheap to begin with.
yep, except for the rural ones. They also make the owners sign a contract where they will not sell of a year ( or maybe its 2) and can not overtly use the Fixer Upper tag as a sales gimmick.
On a side note. We recently met one of Jojo's kin who told us that the personas depicted on the show is very accurate. Chip really is what we see on TV . They do not have any TV's in their home and are very devout and family oriented. First class folks. The fist set of producers told them that they needed more of the usual HGTV conflict and need to get in a few heated arguments ( for show) ..both Chip and JoAnne walked off the set and told HGTV crew to pack up...The network was smart enough to rush in a new production company and the rest is history. They actually make next to nothing from HGTV but their real companies are making them millions. They have bought a lot of acreage around central Texas and are truly a great Texas success story ...
The Fife
shiplap
beet to hell furniture
?????
PROFIT!!!
FincAg
AG
For a million dollars you would think they could hide the TV wires.
schwack schwack
AG
The thing that gets me about all these is that they are priced out of the neighborhood when finished. The house is priced low BASED ON THE NEIGHBORHOOD and then these people pour an additional $100K+ in for renovations. Don't you then just have the most expensive house in the still not so great area?

It's a little too formulaic now for me, but I do like the show, they seem nice and although most of it is not my preferred style, the finished products are pretty great. I saw one recently where they went back to "flipping" on one house. I noticed that they were pretty thrifty when using their own money to fix it up for resale to avoid just what I said above.

On this one, how about that black plastic "fencing" they are using to block next door? Hmmmmm.
Ragoo
AG
this house is literally 2 blocks from their Silos shop.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/624+S+7th+St,+Waco,+TX+76706/@31.5512623,-97.1241818,426a,35y,263.98h,44.86t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864f824f21138bc3:0x94177b37dbe8fae!8m2!3d31.550677!4d-97.127624
NoahAg
Needs more shiplap.
histag10
AG
only priced roughly 10x the average going rate per square foot in Waco. Obviously it will sell quickly.
The Fife
schwack schwack said:

The thing that gets me about all these is that they are priced out of the neighborhood when finished. The house is priced low BASED ON THE NEIGHBORHOOD and then these people pour an additional $100K+ in for renovations. Don't you then just have the most expensive house in the still not so great area?

It's a little too formulaic now for me, but I do like the show, they seem nice and although most of it is not my preferred style, the finished products are pretty great. I saw one recently where they went back to "flipping" on one house. I noticed that they were pretty thrifty when using their own money to fix it up for resale to avoid just what I said above.

On this one, how about that black plastic "fencing" they are using to block next door? Hmmmmm.

That show is basically unwatchable for me also partly because of how formulaic it is, and thank god Mrs Fife isn't into their kind of style because it's as far from what I design as you can get.

Property Brothers is about the only thing on HGTV that doesn't drive me completely nuts - the one where the people who are moving have to do at least some of the work on their own. Otherwise that network serves as a 'stuff and trends I should avoid' list but I've never been a fan of contemporary to begin with.
Matsui
AG
That is a steal......in Los Angeles/NYC/San Francisco
TXAGBQ76
AG
My brother said Chip's former partner has sued him because once they negotiated a large contract he bought him at at minimal dollars and did tell he had hit it big.
Furlock Bones
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

My brother said Chip's former partner has sued him because once they negotiated a large contract he bought him at at minimal dollars and did tell he had hit it big.

Um what
TXAGBQ76
AG
Um my brother lives in Waco. There was an article in the paper that said Chip had a business partner on the construction and real estate side of the business. According to the suit filed, Chip negotiated with HGTV for a nice deal and did not relate that to the partner. He said he wanted to buy out the partner - but did not mention the new contract nor the huge financial upsides.

Now anyone can sue anyone for anything so it will be interesting to follow the case- if it goes to court and see what a judge and/or jury says.
NoahAg
TXAGBQ76 said:

Um my brother lives in Waco. There was an article in the paper that said Chip had a business partner on the construction and real estate side of the business. According to the suit filed, Chip negotiated with HGTV for a nice deal and did not relate that to the partner. He said he wanted to buy out the partner - but did not mention the new contract nor the huge financial upsides.

Now anyone can sue anyone for anything so it will be interesting to follow the case- if it goes to court and see what a judge and/or jury says.
Correct. It was in "the news" a few weeks ago.
The Original AG 76
AG
They are claiming that this is some kinda " great investment op". Seems like the owner is claiming that they have it rented 97% of the time at almost $400 night. Not sure why some place in Waco would rent on a routine Tuesday but maybe its just fans of the show or something. Still insane at that price.
Diggity
AG
Sounds like he should hang onto that cash cow.
bco2003
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

They are claiming that this is some kinda " great investment op". Seems like the owner is claiming that they have it rented 97% of the time at almost $400 night. Not sure why some place in Waco would rent on a routine Tuesday but maybe its just fans of the show or something. Still insane at that price.
Mid-week renters potentially could be people visiting the Gaines' silos/store. Maybe, maybe-not.
Mustang1
AG
Took my mom to the Silos on a random Tuesday in April. I couldn't believe the number of buses dropping people off there.
TXTransplant
Just watched this episode on HGTV this morning. They only put about $130k in the house. They got it for free (it was located elsewhere and slated to be torn down) and moved it to a lot that cost about $30k. Put another ~$100k into the renovations. Chip even said on the show that, with the improvements, the house was worth about $150k. Those sellers are a special kind of optimistic.
LihaiAg06
AG
And across from an apartment complex
Matsui
AG
What's wrong with that?
Quinn
AG
Interesting that they say they make next to nothing from HGTV. I know that the advertising has been incredible for their businesses, but I would think they could get a pretty nice paid day for making the show, too.
AggieGunslinger
AG
In Texas, apartment complexes tend to bring down the value of surrounding homes, not always but I would guess in this situation it just probably true. I remember the other thread were you got upset because somebody said that on the whole renters aren't as financially stable as homeowners. Everybody realized it's a general statement and not universally true no need to drag that into this thread too.
aezmvp
Quinn said:

Interesting that they say they make next to nothing from HGTV. I know that the advertising has been incredible for their businesses, but I would think they could get a pretty nice paid day for making the show, too.

Most of that goes through the production company. Their side ventures from New build communities, to house wares, etc. are where the real money is.
Diggity
AG
Why would the personalities be paid next to nothing while the production company thrives? Either they're terrible negotiators or that's not accurate.
Matsui
AG
Thanks! Didn't know.
The Original AG 76
AG
Quinn said:

Why would HGTV need to pay big $$ for the personality when there is a damn near endless supply of folks who would gladly step into their shoes. These aren't actors. They also know that the TV show will generate YUGE interest for their " real" business.
Remember that Charlestown flip show ? One of the first ones made with that guy with the helicopter and cute bimbos?? He became a big celeb and got big for his britches and made a bunch of demands. He gone
johnrth

Quote:

A suspected drunk driver plowed into a 'Fixer Upper' home and the owners say they feel 'deceived' by the show
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/car-smashes-into-fixer-upper-house/article_bb418fb0-0e9e-5d5a-80e9-cc659032e3e6.html?block_id=1367108

Quote:

After the wreck Saturday she said she wonders why Magnolia Realty showed them a property in such an area and why the city hasn't done more to reply to their complaints.

Quote:

"We have been intimidated and harassed," Kelly Downs said. "People have complained about their taxes going up because we moved here. Store owners have complained about taxes."
What did they expect when they bought a house for $35,000?
SoTheySay
S
This kills me.

A. We can't say things about areas.
B. Where do you find cheap houses?
Diggity
AG
Quote:

"He didn't hurt the hedges, but he took out the railing on the porch and went right into the window of the front room and hit an interior wall that might be a load-bearing wall."
Well at least he didn't put a bustle in the guys hedgerow.
Olag00
AG

I believe this is the front of the house before wreck which would explain the "built up" portion of the front of house causing the car to go airborne.:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.