Real Estate
Sponsored by

Oak Forest West residents

2,895 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jaggiemaggie
h_elise23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!

I was wondering if anyone lived in the Oak Forest West area in Houston? My husband and I are currently house hunting and we are looking to be in a decent public school area; our realtor recommended Oak Forest West to us. Although, the elementary school there now (Wainwright) isn't that great she said by the time we have a little one (5-7 years) the area will be much more well developed and the school will follow.

I know the Oak Forest proper area is very nice (and out of our price range) so I just wanted to see if any of you all had some insight on the west area.

Let me know!
SnowboardAg
AG
I'm not sure about oak forest in general. We started looking there, but then ended up in spring branch area. While I'm not wanting to offend, in my opinion, the jury is still out if that area will take off or not. I would be more inclined to select the heights over oak forest. Again, just what I've observed but could be wrong.
fightinag04
AG
We live in that area. Your realtor is correct in my opinion. The schools today are not schools we want to send our kids to but seem to be improving with gentrification. I don't know what your budget is but the value you get for the price you pay seems well worth it, especially since the neighborhood has professional security patrolling.

Let me know if there's anything specific your want to know and I'll do my best to answer.
Diggity
AG
A school where 92% of the kids qualify for free lunch isn't a likely candidate for a quick turnaround. Wouldn't be my pick if you're looking for good neighborhood schools.
Wodanaz
AG
Interested in a 2/2 bungalow in the heights(ish)? Our street is very quiet with all old people or young families and has a cop (with car always out front) on it. PM for details if so.
plowboy1065
S
Diggity said:

A school where 92% of the kids qualify for free lunch isn't a likely candidate for a quick turnaround. Wouldn't be my pick if you're looking for good neighborhood schools.

Exactly! Way too big a margin to turnaround. We have friends there that thought the same thing 4 years ago and are now looking at private schools
SnowboardAg
AG
Sent my kid to private last year and a number of families from that area were also at the same school we were at. One family we know of moved from OF to spring branch and is going to public as well with my kid next year. I just don't see that area taking off with acre homes so close. In my mind proof has to show that area turning to confirm OF. It's just too close.
MAS444
AG
Isn't going to turn that fast, if at all.
evestor1
It seems simple - too much HUD housing to get the snowflake habitat that creates high quality/safe schooling. There are a lot more kids in those apartments than you'd think.

My interesting case study is Waltrip HS. What will it look like in 7-8 years. Will they eventually shut down Sacrborough? (Sorry to hijack).
Satellite of Love
SnowboardAg said:

I'm not sure about oak forest in general. We started looking there, but then ended up in spring branch area. While I'm not wanting to offend, in my opinion, the jury is still out if that area will take off or not. I would be more inclined to select the heights over oak forest. Again, just what I've observed but could be wrong.
I would look closer to I-10 in the Heights. Up past 20th, you are zoned to the crappy Heights schools. Just an FYI. That was one reason the wife and I didn't hold on to my house in the Heights.
Diggity
AG
What part of Spring Branch are you referring to Snowboard? I don't know of any over there in the OP's price range that are going to have great public schools either.

It's a tough spot to be in. Suburbs are probably the most realistic option.
MAS444
AG
As far as I know, the cheapest areas with good public schools ITL (or close) are Garden Oaks (but Montessori, if that matters), Timbergrove/Sinclair and Oak Forest proper. And Meyerland (Kolter)...but you have to worry about flooding. Am I missing any?
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
That about covers it, although Garden Oaks elementary never ranks very well either.
SnowboardAg
AG
I would look north of westview, south of long point, east of Campbell, west of I think wirt.

The options are limited but I personally would sacrifice on home, try to keep lot size, and watch the fault lines. The middle school is questionable but elementary and high school are good. Depends on price point but 300s are possible
plowboy1065
S
I've never had a single client who purchased a home and didn't take resale value into major consideration. If you're not thinking down the road on the return on your investment then maybe I don't understand
Diggity
AG
sounds like you're talking about Valley Oaks, which is a good school but you're not getting a decent single family home over there for under $400K.

The area the OP referenced is in the sub $300K market so it's a tough price point for good schools close to town.
SnowboardAg
AG
http://www.har.com/u/6c51a06D5

http://www.har.com/u/F3CA1155

http://www.har.com/u/BFf8E597
Diggity
AG
You must have missed the word "decent"

I remember why I got off this board
SnowboardAg
AG
I respectfully disagree. I would take lot and land over home. To me the dirt is the money in the resale game, but I'm saying it's possible. Patience, targeting an area, calling on leased homes to see if owner would sell, etc are all ways to target the area of choice.
Diggity
AG
Someone looking for a home under $300K probably doesn't want a $350K teardown...but maybe I'm crazy.
Post removed:
by user
MAS444
AG
Yeah location is important, of course..but you do have to, you know, live in the home.
SnowboardAg
AG
Delayed gratification - google it.
Deats99
AG
Diggity said:

As someone that just left a similar area in the past few years, you have to ask will it happen before you need the schools, or will it happen before you need to sell?

We chose not to wait.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
jaggiemaggie
AG
MAS444 said:

As far as I know, the cheapest areas with good public schools ITL (or close) are Garden Oaks (but Montessori, if that matters), Timbergrove/Sinclair and Oak Forest proper. And Meyerland (Kolter)...but you have to worry about flooding. Am I missing any?

Westbury is building a new elementary school slated to open 2018. But we're full.... But I hear Sunnyside is another up and coming area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.